Noobs - Unite in Southern California Mountains!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Little Bike, Apr 10, 2013.

?

When are you available to ride?

1. Saturdays

2. Sundays

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dune Rider

Dune Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:

<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>We couldn’t have picked a better day for weather and light traffic on the mountain for a ride. The riders were current or retired HS teachers that have the summer off. We started at McDonald’s at I15 and Hwy 138 at 8 AM and rode east on Hwy 138 thru Hesperia and picked up more riders prior to going up the mountain. The route we took was on <?xml:namespace prefix = "st1" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Bowen Ranch Road</st1:address></st1:Street> to 3N14 to Big Pine campground. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    After a short break, we rode thru <st1:placeName w:st="on">Holcomb</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType> and on to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Big</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Bear</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">City</st1:placeType></st1:place> where we ate lunch at Thelma’s Restaurant. After lunch and refueling, we rode up to Bear Mountain Ski Lift to connect to the <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Skyline Drive</st1:address></st1:Street> trail for the loop that ends back at the lake. The views from the trail were spectacular and the air was cool and clear.<o:p></o:p>
    The next part was on pavement where we rode the Rim of the World hwy section to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Gregory</st1:placeName></st1:place> where we took a break at a small coffee shop. We then rode down to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Silverwood</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place> on to Hwy 138 and ending back at McDonald’s at 6 PM with 135 miles on the trip odometer.<o:p></o:p>
    The Big Bear area offers many opportunities for trail riding during the summer months and with this area so close to most of us in the SoCal region it is a great place to ride till the desert cools down. One can ride there and find new trails to explore every week for all skill levels. Should any one want to set a ride up just PM me and we will see what we can do. <o:p></o:p>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = "v" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="HEIGHT: 4in; WIDTH: 431.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="Motorcycle Ride Skyline Ridge (17)" src="file:///C:\Users\Sharon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\05\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    Break on 3N14<o:p></o:p>
    <v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="HEIGHT: 4in; WIDTH: 431.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="Motorcycle Ride Skyline Ridge (25)" src="file:///C:\Users\Sharon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\05\clip_image003.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    Big Pine Campground<o:p></o:p>
    <v:shape id=_x0000_i1027 style="HEIGHT: 4in; WIDTH: 431.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="Motorcycle Ride Skyline Ridge (27)" src="file:///C:\Users\Sharon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\05\clip_image005.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    Skyline Trail
    </o:p>
  2. Dune Rider

Dune Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will try to figure out how to include photos.
  3. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
  4. emilio700

emilio700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First time on a dirtbike in this area. Ridden Holcomb Valley on the mountain bike a few times. I have no idea if the roads on my linked route are accessible/open or what they look like. From google satellite view it looks like mostly maintained fire roads. Looks like there is a bunch of different ways to get to Big Bear.

Starting from Miller OHV staging area at 8:30am. Rough plan is Miller- Big Bear. Lunch then ride back down to Miller. At least that's what I'll try to do unless someone else shows up with better knowledge of the area.

Click the 3D button. Gotta love google.

http://goo.gl/maps/efvSm
  5. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Send me a pm next time you want to explore some trails. I live in Mission Viejo. Weekends only work for me at the moment.
  6. emilio700

emilio700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CNF is sorta explored out. Will go back to Big Bear to do more technical stuff as soon as the schedule allows. Although Dale pointed out some cool singletrack offshoots on Main Divide in CNF that I'm itching to try out.

Great ride in Big Bear today with Tom. I swung through CNF on the way back from Big Bear because I still had some juice left. Bedford - MD- Maple Springs Beer.
  7. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    Any noobs out these days?
  8. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:

Yep- NooB as far as owning an ADV bike. I live out 15 minutes east of Temecula in the Sage area on 5 acres. I have single-track straight off the backside of my property and plenty of fun riding for the big bikes as well.

Tim
  9. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    We should get some noob rides together for November.
  10. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's desert time! Going to be posting some Anza Borrego rides soon.
  11. BillAllen

BillAllen aka OlGeezer

Oddometer:
    I would love to go camping in Borrego Springs.

Just sayin'
  12. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Show of hands:

whose up for an Anza Borrego weekend either the weekend of November 9 or the 16th?

Meetup Friday night or Saturday morning, stay at Borrego Springs Motel - $75/night, have fire pits, only 8 rooms, ride Saturday, Sunday morning before checkout....

I'd be up for camping, but, it can get pretty cold at night out there pretty soon and there is something about a hot shower and soft bed after riding all day.
  13. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would do it. Riding big bikes out there or smaller DS bikes?
  14. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Smaller bikes
  15. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Me
    Jeepdude65
    ?
  16. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sage... that's a ride I've had the pleasure to enjoy a few times this summer riding back to san diego from 29 palms.

funny how these rides are often found... I was looking on a map for a means to spend additional time off the super slab and saw that as an additional route after dropping into the hemet area and down to Temecula. didn't look nearly as nice on the map as it turned out to be. after the first ride I was looking forward to the next commute.
  17. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Some day... I will own a smaller bike also. so then I can come play too!
  18. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Temeculatim, do you have a smaller bike for playing in borrego?
  19. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    I'm out for this one unfortunately...
  20. Antares600rr

Antares600rr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll try to meet up with you guys for breakfast, but my tires aren't good for dirt, so I'll take a noob up to Mt. Palomar, break him off good.

Sent from my brake caliper