Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,349
I stumbled through Branson last year cause my old riding buddy wanted to eat at "The Cracker Barrell"... it was on the north side of town so we had to ride through "The Strip".

I would never have thought that many schlock shows could be lined up bumper to bumper... It was Vegas for Baptists...

But, to each, their own...

Home of Sliced Bread... worth the trip...

from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillicothe,_Missouri

Quote:
Chillicothe is known as "The Home of Sliced Bread". On July 7, 1928, the Chillicothe Baking Company began selling pre-sliced bread "at quality grocers in the area", marking the first time sliced bread was available commercially in the world. They used the Rohwedder Bread Slicer, a machine created by Iowa inventor, Otto Rohwedder.[

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #17
Spike Paddy OP
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 113
I'd just put my mother on a plane but she can't drive anymore and doesn't have anyone to take her to the airport. The trip would be really hard on her anyway. Thought this would be a chance to surprise her and go on my first real trip on my bike.
Spike Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #18
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Paddy View Post
I'd just put my mother on a plane but she can't drive anymore and doesn't have anyone to take her to the airport. The trip would be really hard on her anyway. Thought this would be a chance to surprise her and go on my first real trip on my bike.

I also think it means a little more to family when you put in the effort to visit them.

Any roads in/near Alexandria MN that are any good? Throw the bike in the truck, pound out boring interstate miles and unload the bike for a good ride.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
Spike Paddy OP
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I also think it means a little more to family when you put in the effort to visit them.

Any roads in/near Alexandria MN that are any good? Throw the bike in the truck, pound out boring interstate miles and unload the bike for a good ride.
I don't have the truck anymore, just the Tiger and a XR650. There's some nice twisty roads around some of the lakes but the speed limit is usually low and there's usually cops everywhere. Other than that, that part of the state is mostly corn fields as far as the eye can see. I don't think MN gets very pretty until Bemidji and farther north, but that's just me.
Spike Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Totally agree on Branson. Couple of years ago, we rode thru. We sat at a traffic light waiting to make a left for what seemed like 5 minutes. Just as we get a green turn, my buddy dropped his sunglasses. I go, he gets off the bike and gets glasses, and then goes thru light. Yep, he and I made it thru, out of the dozen or so blue hairs. No one even honked.

LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote