MOD F800/F700/F650 (twin) GS skid plate and top rack

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by toowheels, Dec 27, 2009.

1. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    We're going to put the newest info up front here too so you don't have to dig into the whole thread. In the thread you'll still find all the development and all the different setups inmates have done with our parts...Thanks!

New for 2013 we've done some improvements to both our BMW F800/F700/F650 GS & F800 GSA Skid Plate and Top Rack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MOD BMW F800/F700/F650 GS & F800 GS Adv. V3 Skid Plate

Some pics of what the NEW V3 skid plate looks like now with added vents underneath:

[​IMG]
    As mentioned above we put them there just so some air can be drawn up from underneath in very slow technical riding. They are in a spot that is well supported by the mounting inserts. We wanted to add them without compromising the strength underneath.

from the outside up close:
    [​IMG]

from the inside up close:
    [​IMG]
    notice our skid plates are welded inside and out!

and the up close shot of our CNC machined mounting inserts:
    [​IMG]
    There are a few reasons we use them because they are far more $$ than the alternatives. :deal
    1. They fully support the material around them making that area stronger than just having a hole cut through it.
    2. They also make the entire unit stronger as it's fully supported all 'round.
    3. We can run a longer weld, strengthening the attachment points.
    4. The depth is accurate so we can have our skid plate have the most ground clearance possible, still completely protect the hardware and have a smooth sliding surface to get over something if need be.

Here's the new bracket in the foreground compared to the previous one:
    [​IMG]

It's significantly stronger and also has other improvements :deal:

-1.5x the surface area of the previous one to give excellent resistance from the skid plate moving any direction. It's both taller and wider.

-The front face is obviously very thick and the big reason for that is we have maximized the thread depth to 12mm. The threads are also rolled and not cut so they are stronger. Since the bracket is CNC'd alu it's still only 93g (3.3 oz).

-The front hardware has been bumped up to M8 from the previous M6. The 5mm allen head is also more user friendly because it's less likely to strip out and it's also a much stronger interface that you can apply more torque to. The M8 bolts are fit perfectly through the skid plate holes and with the increased torque will offer an attachment that will reduce the likely hood of any movement of the skid plate.

-The attachment arms are taller and even a little shorter that the previous version for max strength

-It works with all previous versions of our skid plates without any modifications to the skid plate :clap
    We always keep existing owners in mind!

A few more pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some more pics of the (V2) skid plate in it's entirety:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few of the design details:
    -Offers complete protection for the oil filter, oil cooler, oil lines, catalytic converter at the back and as much protection on the sides as possible while still fitting with a wide variety of engine bars listed below.
    -Smooth underbelly to get over obstacles with CNC machined alloy countersunk mounts to protect the mounting hardware underneath and give the skid plate support while preserving as much ground clearance as possible
    -low angle of attack at the front makes it easier to get over something tall if need be
    -welded inside and out
    -optional front mounted tool box that sits high enough to be out of the way: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750749

Fits with these engine bars:
    -Adventure Spec (G-it)
    -Alt-Rider
    -BMW
    -Givi
    -Hepco + Becker
    -Holan & Holan Pro
    -Metal Mule
    -SW-Motech
    -Touratech
    -Wild @ Heart

MOD BMW F800/F700/F650 GS & F800 GS Adv. Top Rack

The reason we came out with a top rack was to provide as many features and options to the rider.
    In that vein ours has:
    -2 brands of fuel cell compatibility
    -3 brands of different top box options and two DIY ones
    -many slots and cut-outs for maximum soft bag anchoring options
    -excellent Giant Loop Great Basin compatibility giving forward and mid mounting options
    -quick release "key-hole" mounting slot allowing for quick and easy hardware swaps without removing the bolts and spacers every time
    -forward solo and rearward two up mounting positions to optimize load distribution

Here's what the 2013 version of the Top Rack looks like:

[​IMG]
    We've refined the perimeter shape to follow the shape of the saddle and simplified the rear Givi/Kappa/SW-Motech mounting point. We also added a "lengthwise" Rotopax mounting point in the centre to work with the new Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers and give yet another option.

Here are some of the options mounted (shown on previous generations):
    [​IMG]
    Rotopax fuel cell mount bolt directly to the top rack. We've since added a 90* mounting option too, partially to optimize its fitting with the Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers.

[​IMG]

This also gives you the option of mounting a 1 gal. or 2 gal. Rotopax either length-wise or width-wise.

Here it is with the Giant Loop Siskiyou:

[​IMG]
    This is with the Top Rack in the rearward position and you have access to the fuel fill. :evil

You can also side mount a 1 gal. Rotopax on the right side using their L bracket and vertically top mount a 1 gal. Rotopax on top again using their L bracket. Kolpin's Jr Fuel cell mount will also fit on our Top Rack.

[​IMG]
    Slots are still accessible with a 1 gal. Rotopax mounted

[​IMG]
    Side mounted Rotopax works particularly well with the Giant Loop Great Basin.

[​IMG]
    Givi/Kappa Monokey mounting (Top Rack forward position).

You can buy their mounting kit and bolt on any Monokey top case!

[​IMG]
    SW-Motech Steel Pelican Top Box adapter.
    Again this option bolts right on as does their Trax top box mounts.

[​IMG]
    With Pelican case mounted.

[​IMG]
    Caribou's QFS (DIY) system mounted. Once again the mounting point are in the Top Rack but you do have to customize your top box. An excellent affordable way to have multiple sized top boxes.

[​IMG]
    Large box mounted (Top Rack in forward position).

[​IMG]
    smaller top box

[​IMG]
    inside showing the Dzus quarter turn qr fasteners.

Not shown is our simple KISS system. Using the square holes and 1/4" carriage bolts with plastic hand nuts and a couple of washers from the hardware store you can mount any Pelican type top box easily, securely and inexpensively! [​IMG]

We also offer specific spacer kit to fit all side racks.
    [​IMG]

The fit list:

Standard Spacers (2nd and 3rd from left)
    -stock handles
    -BMW Varios
    -BMW Alu. box side racks
    -Touratech
    -SW-Motech
    -Holan
    -Metal Mule (no front spacers required)

H Spacers (far right)
    These substitute the standard front ones and are used with the standard rear ones
    -Happy Trail
    -Wolfman/ Backroads Moto

J spacers (second from right)
    These substitute the standard rear ones and are used with the standard front ones
    -Jesse

C Spacers (far left)
    No front spacers are required, however longer bolts are required for the front and rear.
    -Hepco + Becker
    -Caribou (using Hepco+Becker racks at this time)

Last but certainly not least all out Top Racks are fully CNC machined and therefore the perimeter and every slot and cutout is chamfered to prevent any straps from getting chafed or cut and we use a lightle textured powder coat to give some grip to help prevent soft bags from sliding as much. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm very happy to say that our parts are being used and abused by inmates everywhere in the world and we have many positive reviews! :D

Thanks for checking it out and now back to the original beginning of the development thread!

Further to my post a year?! ago I am looking for owners of F800/F650 GS's with SW Motech or Holan engine bars to try a new proto of the skid plate with. Actually I am looking to try with any engine bars bar except Touratech, BMW and Givi and hopefully with a somewhat close proximity to Vancouver, BC.:dunno

Also here are a few pics of a top rack proto that has some unique features that I would like to get some feedback on. We are just running it through testing now.
    It's got three different ways to carry fuel using Rotopaxs' proven fuel packs and mounts. It's all set to have the mounts bolted right to it.
    It also has a 2" fore and aft adjustment option for riding solo or two-up.

There's more info on the site at www.motooverland.com in case you are interested to see more details.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Dave
  2. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow. that's the best top rack I've seen so far!! :clap
  3. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Me likey! :clap

If you can fit a Giant Loop Great Basin bag on there with the fuel cans (looks like it would be close) that would be awesome!

Edit: Let me know if it is for sale, I am looking for a replacement for the vario rack my bike came with (got it used and I don't have the bags (nor do I want them)).
  4. Zacharia_11

Zacharia_11 11th Assassin

Oddometer:
    Looks great! I am looking around at some options now and your set up is looking like a winner. I really like that Rotopax set-up, if you guys could fit your skid plate to the Holans bars I would order them from you too.

I've still got time, I am ordering on Tuesday and wont take delivery until April. In the mean time I have your site book marked. Right now it looks like BMW aluminum skid plate that I will get pc'd, unless you can get a Holan in and fitted.

Come in black?
  5. backroadsandbeyond

backroadsandbeyond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sent you an email, im in vancouver and have a f800gs you can dingle with
  6. TreeFarmer

TreeFarmer Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks kind of familiar. Although they did a pretty good job!
    [​IMG]
  7. markymcd

Oddometer:

well... they're both made out of aluminum if that's what you mean.

Hope I'm not in a police line up with you! :wink:
  8. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the positive comments; Markymcd, EnderTheX, Zacharia_11!:nod

I too am interested to see how it will work with all the Giant Loop Great Basin. I'll let you know on that as I find out more. Incidentally that is specifically what the rear centre slot is designed to work with.

As far as availability is concerned once we are done with all the testing it will go into production very quickly...I am gunning for early Feb.

Zacharia_11;
    Alright new bike! The second version of the skid plate will be designed to accommodate more engine bar including the Holans. I'll keep you up-to-date on that too.
    It will be black powder coated as well, same as the top rack will be in production.

Backroadsandbeyond; thanks for the offer and I'll take you up on that!

TreeFarmer; that is one heavy duty rack plate! How thick is that?
  9. Zacharia_11

Oddometer:
    Good to hear! I like the coverage of the BMW plate back thru to the CAT, but the word on the street is some of the construction could be a little better, concerns over welds and rivets. The front top section of the Adventure spec plate looks purposeful, if your looking for second generation ideas...

I'll be checking back frequently... thanks!
  10. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    That rack looks awesome. I have the Rotopax mounted to my Touratech rack but like your setup a lot better. I have the SW Moto side racks and they mount like the racks shown so it should fit. If you need a tester in Canada let me know. I'll probably be buying one as soon as they are for sale anyways.

11. toowheels

Oddometer:
    On the current version having coverage right back to the Cat was always an absolute as was front protection of the oil filter and the oil cooler so that will all stay. The front at the height it is seems to work well...and it has even higher coverage with the tool box mounted on. :wink:
    I was a little surprised by the thin gauge of the BMW plate and the rivets when I first saw it. Our plate is mounted with welded CNC aluminium inserts and it is the more typical 4mm (.160") for the right amount of strength. Good welding by real humans too :wave

See pic below ...

crappybiker; I like to hear all feedback :cry but I may have selective hearing:D
    Actually it is not nearly as obvious in real life...nevertheless the new version wouldn't have room for the whole MOD and so future versions will just have the M like the top rack, as will the KLR skid plate.

Motoriley; Thanks...and I am in Canada too, just the other side.

A better pic of the top rack in the forward position with the Rotopax 1 gal. on the side. It tucks in perfectly.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Your past bash plate didn't work with the Holan crashbars. If you send me pictures of the updated design I should be able to give you idea if the new design will work. PM me.

Also - shouldn't this thread be in vendors?
  13. TreeFarmer

TreeFarmer Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mostly was talking about the square shape and the slots around the edge of the rack.... That's all. Theirs looks fantastic. Had it been around 1 year ago I would have bought it. Instead I came up with my own design and I love it. :evil

Back to the original thread, sorry abowt the temp hijack.
  14. toowheels

Oddometer:
    TreeFarmer; Thanks for the comment! It's a little hard to tell in the first pic but the rack does indeed have a taper to it. You can get more of a perspective with the bigger pic below.

F800 Rob; Yip the current plate worked with Touratech (and most probably Git) engine bars only. Some people like the increased coverage and think I should do two versions. Any thoughts y'all? :ear There seems to be a lot of the Git set up out there and I think a good part of that is the front and side coverage of their skid plate.
    I was allowed to post in Beasts 'cause it was a plea for help as I was looking for people with various types of engine bars to fit the prototype skid plate with, and to get feedback. It is also because these are prototype parts we are talking about. When they are in production they will go to Vendors.

Dave
    www.motooverland.com

[​IMG]
  15. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    The Great Basin will work with any of those racks shown as long as the edges and slots are rounded (tumbled or filed smooth). If not, the metal will saw right through our Ballistic Cordura webbings. As tough as it is, no webbing or strap material will survive the CNC edges.

We are looking at an '09 F800Gs and hope to pull the trigger before the end of the year (3 more days!!?). Have never owned a BMW but this one looks like it'll fit nicely in the barn. :clap
  16. Zacharia_11

Oddometer:

You've got the GIT plate beat for coverage underneath:
    [​IMG]

I think the GIT plates as got you beat upfront:
    [​IMG]

I think BMW has you both beat on compatibility?
    *I have seen this plate on several crash bar set ups, and I think this is attributed to the lower side coverage.

For me the best of both worlds is of course maximum coverage with my chosen bars, but for you I think the maximum coverage with maximum compatibility from a single plate is probably better.

If I am you, I keep the skid plates lower/bottom coverage you have, beef up the coverage for a direct frontal impact and debris (closer to GIT), and sacrifice a little of that side coverage for compatibility. If you can provide more side coverage that BMW's stocker and still be compatible, your construction and durability should win over some of the market.

For me I picked the crash bars I wanted then looked for compatible bash plates. If I picked the Adventure Spec bars, I would have just ordered the plate along with it.

:beer
  17. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply on that wachs.

Our top rack will definitely have the edges and strap slots rounded.

It's a day later...did ya get it??:eek1

Zacharia_11;

Thanks for the input and the pics.
    That's exactly what we are going for; same under bike coverage as we have now and the most side coverage I can fit while still being compatible with the most popular bars.

As far as the front is concerned we are similar in height in the front to Git...about 1" higher than the oil cooler. You can see it a little better in this pic. We don't have the extra top piece though.
    If you have serious filling up the front mud issues like some of the pics I have seen you could make a "fit it when you need it shield". Our plate would accommodate an extension be it plastic board or whatever very easily with the tool box mounting points. Alternatively the foam that enduro riders use would fit in easily too.

[​IMG]
    The tool box also works really well as an extension too...and it's somewhere convenient to put heavy tools low, but not too low. :wink:

[​IMG]

Dave
  18. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I love the fore aft adjust ability. Would it be possible to add an extra hole halfway between the the others that would be big enough to remove the rack? That way you could just loosen the four bolts and remove the plate to reconfigure the Rotopax mounts without undoing the bolts all the way.
    [​IMG]
  19. superhawkrider

superhawkrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like your top rack and skid plate. It would be great if you can make the same skid plate that will fit with the Holan, Metal Mule, or Adventure spec bars. Just one vote of what I would put on my bike.
  20. markymcd

Oddometer:

+1 on the extra hole thing. Genius!