950A/990A adjustable wider & taller windshield: $66.00

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by mcmann, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made 2 six inch brackets w/1" L bends to mount a Slip-Streamer Spitfire tinted wind shield (4" wider & 3" taller than the OEM shield). My goal was to allow 1.5" - 2" air gap at the bottom to achieve an angle similar to the forks . . . Which should reduce buffeting etc. I wanted to keep it chin high to allow full view over the top etc.

I used neoprene/rubber gaskets between my bracket spacers . . . using the upper fairing mount hole . . . which will help hold the shield in place. I used neoprene gaskets on the shield mounts too. I had to drill new holes 3" from the bottom of the Spitfire shield.

For my 5' 11" height I moved the shield 2 3/4" above the stock shield (using a split rubber hose as an edge on the stock screen) to protect the new shield. The bottom of the shield is above the light with a 2" air gap to counter buffeting.

It works great at any speed. It can be adjusted up or down as needed.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/428/29101/ITEM/Slip-Streamer-Spitfire-Windshield.aspx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    that looks ok and if it works that is even better.
    now if you would just make me the brackets and all the spacers etc and drop them off at the house that would be awsome!!!!
  3. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting...
  4. mcmann

Oddometer:
    I swapped my OEM screen with a 5" shorter Mose Racing shield and darkened the lower part of the add-on screen.
    Looks better and allows more tilt to even further reduce buffeting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    My version cost about the same, and can be adjusted with no tools. I used two screens, trimmed accordingly, and some hardware from McMaster-Carr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. mcmann

Oddometer:
    The ange on the dangle is the important part . . . Need it anged back more. I open my face shield a couple inches too . . . It directs the clean air over my helmet much better than when the face shied is closed. This taller shield keeps the air off my chin too. I no longer need a balacalava on cold mornings.

I wrapped my 1" X 1/4" aluminum support bars in the same material as my shield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I
    [​IMG]
  7. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    mcmann,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    That looks very good! Nice job. Can you post a pic showing the detail of your mounting brackets? Are the two brackets bolts holding the entire shield and on top is it not attached, just resting against the back shield?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    And thanks for posting. Going to the KTM rally in Steamboat this Sept?<o:p></o:p>
    KJ<o:p></o:p>
  8. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic of my try I brackets:

[​IMG]

I re-did them with 1" wide 1/4" thick aluminum flat bar. Here is a mounted picture . . . Before I wrapped them in black.

I have double-stick foam-backed tape folded in a "V" at the top of my Moose screen to support the top (velcro adhesive-backed tape would work too).

The neoprene rubber spacers help hold the screen in place.

No plans for a KTM rally . . . But will ride Colorado late summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrapped. The try II are straight with a 45 degree bend for the shield:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you decide to leave this screen on your bike indefinitely . . . You can support the top via 3M molding mount tape (folded in a V to match the ange of the two shields):

[​IMG]
  9. mcmann

Oddometer:
    I decided to velcro the top of the screen . . . Better support than rubber fuel line hose:
    I may have to use 3m double-stick tape on the lower half of the velcro to match the angle of the two screens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the hardware incuded with the Slipstreamer shield:
    You can not handle-bar mount on a bike with a fairing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another website for less $ & free freight:

http://www.powersportjunkie.com/SLIPSTREAMER-p/wps-56-6524.htm

[​IMG]

I had to order another one for my SM (which I robbed for ths project):

[​IMG]