XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
    google PDF xr650l service manual
  2. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Here'show I do mine: Warm it up, pull the drain plug in the frame, carefully pull the drain plug on the bottom of the engine so you dont make a mess. Let 'em drain. Loosen up the filter cover bolts... Tip the bike over a bit and pull off the cover. Swap out the filter. Get it in the right way. PAY ATTENTION to how the old one comes out. The filter cover bolts go back on just past snug. Frame and engine plugs a bit tighter (I have never used a torque wrench on oil changes). Pull a valve cap and dump some oil in the hole (makes sure the valves are oiled at start-up. The rest goes in the frame tank. Start it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it down and check the oil. Add more as needed.
  3. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I also like to spin the motor for a minute with the kill switch off to circulate the new oil .
  4. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:

Thanks guys!!:freaky I just started to go at it and it all came back to me. Found the torque specs. Used them on the down tube and the crankcase. Used a little past snug on the filter cover bolts. Going to fill with oil start and add if needed. Thanks again!

Cheers:freaky
  5. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is, but it last twice as long as most other tires. Factor in the mount and balance cost and the time to do it and the 908 comes out ahead cost wise.

Of course a super soft is going to be the best traction and least wear but you will find the 908 an excellent off road tire, especially in lose soils. The wide " Chevy " logo center tread paddles these soils well and takes a lot of street wear. I ran this tire in Colorado over mostly rock for a week and not a nick on it. It grabs wet rock well too.

After a brief trial of the Metzler offerings I've installed a set of Michelin Desert Race on my XRL. Wow, what a dream ride and the handling is phenomenal. Wear is to be determined. Note the Unicross front lasted much longer than the Karoo rear.

[​IMG]
  6. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Your description reminds me of Pac-Man.

Chomp, chomp, eat them volts, OH yeah! :rofl
  7. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    I don't run think
  8. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Interesting; I've yet to come back from a first ride with any tire and not have nicks, or gouges, or even missing knobs. Sounds like a very robust tire. Why didn't you put another one on instead of going to the desert race?

The desert race is another costly tire. Probably very similar to the 908 in many ways. I may try one or the other one day, we'll see what opportunity may arise. As far as front/rear goes, it seems to me as if all front tires last me about three times as long as all rears! So far...

I just put a Michelin Anakee 3 rear on my street bike. First time I've tried anything but the Avon Azaro, which rides well, but I had a new one shed the tread while motoring along at 80-ish and Avon just gave me a song and dance routine and never did anything about it. So I'm done with them; the Michelin felt great on the initial ride.
  9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I haven't used anything but Michelin Pilot Powers for the last several years on the street. Won't buy anything else.
  10. Fingers

Fingers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the Adj air screw 2 weeks ago from Power Barn. $12.95 shipped.
  11. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    $10.00 at Cyclegear.
  12. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Truer words have never been written:lol3
  13. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
    Ordered from Power Barn already.

Hopefully the slow air-jet is the last I do with to bike as it seems to be quit good now with a 162 main. Don't regret the work to get FCR-MXed as it makes such an impact on drive-ability in my stop and go commutes not to mention the increased wheelie-ability. Now for that lingering RD400 project!
  14. rizzo1968

rizzo1968 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride a 2001 Honda xr650l ...Just wondering what you guys think. After riding fuel starts dumping out of the overflow tube... the very bottom one with the screw...it only stops when I turn off my fuel. after a few hours it stops leaking. Thanks Frank
  15. selkirkswamper

selkirkswamper hellbilly

Oddometer:
    finally got the Sutton Oil Cooler on, from my shakedown ride looks like temps dropped a good 25 degrees...not bad, I'm happy with it, great instructions and a really well put together kit. While I was at it put in 52/155 jets.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks to everyone that answered my questions...:freaky
  16. scootergmc

scootergmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your needle and seat probably need to be cleaned. I'm guessing there's some goo in there that prevents it from fully cutting the fuel flow once the bowl is full.
  17. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    The screw on the bottom is the float-bowl drain and should be tight.
  18. rizzo1968

rizzo1968 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok I made sure that was tight.. I drained out the bowl and now its seems to have stopped leaking..hopefully it stays that way.
  19. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DING DING. I did this, I replaced the stator and reg rec before relising it was the ground.
  20. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you've been running ethanol, Seafoam really helps keep the carb from gumming up. I pour a couple of capfulls in all my tanks after a fillip