Germany 2013 sites not to miss

Discussion in 'Europe' started by roastbeef82, Dec 8, 2012.

1. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year, the Nurburgring area was booked solid - what with races and touristenfahrten - so I got a room at Spangdahlem AB (advantage of being Retired US Military) about 60 Kms away. Gorgeous riding! I also took a side trip to Bastogne, and could have cheerfully spent a week just riding around.

Great roads, superb scenery and almost no traffic.
  2. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Uhhh, touristenfahrten are open to the public days...
  3. motorradrudi

motorradrudi tourguide

Oddometer:
  4. Andidry

Andidry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I passed by Neuschwanstein in late august this year and it was covered in scaffolding , not great for pics :-(, if you're heading down that way its not too far to Hitlers eagles nest at Berchtesgaden, Stunning area for bikes.
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ??

There were races being held on the GP course, and Touristenfahrten on the Nordschliefe. Between the two of them, the general area around Nurburg / Adenau was booked solid. Booking into Spangdahlem AB was the path of least resistance.

Cheap, too :D
  6. bavarian

bavarian bavarian

Oddometer:
    IF you are into beer - try Andechs, nice monastery with beerhall just as the beerhall in Tegernsee. There's plenty of little breweries which brew some nice stuff. If you need more locations. let me know.
  7. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MOST important thing ignore the post above you want gyros NOT donner, gyros is fantastic its real meat layered and and then grilled, donner is minced (crap) pressed together and is rubbish.

Right then that out of the way, have a look at lake constance and go to the Zepplin musem at Fredrichshafen.
    Heidelberg Castle is worth a look
    Bitche in the Alsace is a fantastic citadel
    Niedereschach is the HQ of Touratech and worth a vist
    There is a small motorcycle muesum in Oberwolfach
    The B500 is the senic road to ride, but if you get off the main road then any of the small ones are very good
    Schonau is a nice town for a visit,
    you wont find many ibis in the black forest however almost every village will have a pub/guesthouse and they are normally very good value, we didnt book anything in advance.
  8. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:

there you go a man from the other side of the world with no idea at all, what he is talking about:wink:
    Gyros is a term used all over the place and means different things in different places same with donner, IN GERMANY in particular, donner is normaly meat pressed on to a larger skewer into one complete mass with no distinct meat pieces, and grilled normaly about 3 feet tall and foot and a half or so in diamater. Served in a pitta bread with a range of other shXX, no idea exactly whats in it but its supposed to be lamb only.
    Gyros is normally slices of real meat, which is layered onto the same type of skewer after having been first been marinated, local butchers will make up their own so different shops will have different taste, it is lamb, never known gyros to be anything but, although you can get a chicken type that is similar. Gyros is often served on a plate with kraut salat, onions and Tzatziki,

I make no comment about what its called elsewhere in the world but lived and worked long enough in Germany to know what I am asking for in a restraunt and what I am expecting to eat.
  9. faltklo

faltklo n00b

Oddometer:
    The South has been mentioned a lot now, but you can have a lot of fun right in the middle of germany too!

A Lot of low-mountain Ranges offer really beautiful roads and landscapes:

-Eifel
    -Hunsrück
    -Taunus
    -Rhön
    -Thüringer Wald
    -Bergisches Land
    -Bayrischer Wald
    -Harz

Trust me!

Regards, Lucas
  10. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    Phil.....try the German Alpine road. It is mostly in Bavaria and you can pick it up at Lake Constance (Bodensee) after you enter Germany from the West and take it East all the way to Berchtesgaden. It will take you past the Schloss Neuschwanstein.

http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home/

Along the way: Schloss Linderhof, Wies Kirche, Ettal Monastary, Garmisch, Tegernsee, and the Eaglesnest (in Berchtesgaden). The Eaglesnest (Kehlstein in German) was Hitler's Tea House at the top of the Kehlstein.

http://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/en/

You should not need any assistance with finding beer or good food. My favorite: schweinehaxe (roasted pork knuckle). You really can't go wrong with any of the beers.

Chris
  11. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second the schweinhaxe. Especially with knodel! Nom!!! Though, I'm always up to try some currywurst mit pommes.
  12. pamplonika

pamplonika Spritfresser

Oddometer:

and don`t forget :
    Hochsauerland and Sauerland:clap
  13. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since we are all talking about riding Europe where can i order the german motor club maps. The ones that have the good riding routes highlighted in colour.
  14. roastbeef82

roastbeef82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well we are making a start the end of this week, some of us coming up from France, and some coming down from the UK. Thanks again for all the info you guys have provided, obviously there is way more too see than we can possibly fit in, and we will not be rushing around this time. I have made a map on google of most (not all) of the key places we want to see. Here is the link if anyone wants to use it: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201904425968335760014.0004d4c0469021c790eb3&ie=UTF8&ll=48.647428,7.525635&spn=5.988673,14.27124&t=h&z=7&vpsrc=1
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa....525635&spn=5.988673,14.27124&t=h&z=7&vpsrc=1

Cheers
    Phil
  15. thepopeofchilitown

thepopeofchilitown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you do end up near the Nurburgring, make sure you hit the ride through Cochem as well. It's a small tourist town in a valley along the Mosel river. The town and castle are beautiful and there's a few good places to eat in the area as well. If you're riding through Rhineland-Pfalz, I'd say any chance you get to ride along the Mosel is probably worth it. On a side-note, I haven't seen many gyro places in Germany. The donners are pretty great though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Panorama_Cochem.jpg