georgia tag-o rama

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by kdscoates, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:
    Got it:evil I'm off at first light! Maybe earlier....
  2. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holton's Seafood would be a good choice for lunch. They are very close to the tag.

Better still, Old School Diner and Speed's Kitchen. Both are the kinds of places you only read about in travel magazines. Worth your trip.
  3. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:
    Got the tag....Just can't post it....
  4. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    :clap
  5. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

How the heck did you find this place? Since I came WAAAAAAAYYYY down for this I decided to poke around a bit on my own private personal tour. Come to find out there is an electric fence around the whole facility. Makes me think they got something to hide....

[​IMG][​IMG]
  6. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    How the heck did you find this place? Since I came WAAAAAAAYYYY down for this I decided to poke around a bit on my own private personal tour. Come to find out there is an electric fence around the whole facility. Makes me think they got something to hide....

:ricky :clap
  7. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    Georgia dirt roads can be quite interesting. I saw "Barrington Ferry Road" and wondered if anything was left from the ferry site..and there was the sign for LeConte's Woodmanston.

Nothing left of the ferry site.

Info on LeConte's Woodmanston:

"Woodmanston was established in 1760 by John Eatton LeConte as an inland swamp rice plantation. This form of rice production actually began in the American Southeast in 1724. It relied on the diversion of slow moving swamp creeks into a reservoir created by earthen dams. Water from the reservoir was then released through trunk gates into fields at lower elevations of the swamp where the rice was grown. After irrigation, this water was released into even lower elevations of the swamp where it continued its flow toward the ocean. It took between 200 to 500 acres to profitably cultivate rice, often subdivided into more manageable fields of 10 to 20 acres. A typical rice crop yielded 30 to 60 bushels an acre and weighed between 41 and 49 pounds per bushel.

This early form of rice production was replaced by the tidal flow system, at the turn of the 18th century, by many plantation owners. In order to employ this new system, plantations had to be built along major coastal rivers. These plantations were not as susceptible to flood and drought as were the inland swamp plantations. Despite this rice production continued at Woodmanston, using the original method, until the end of the Civil War and even after by local freedmen.

The first house at Woodmanston, located near today's Barrington Ferry Road, was burned in 1778 by the British because John Eatton LeConte was an American Revolutionary..."

A son, Joseph LeConte went on the help found the Sierra Club with John Muir. Who would've thought a good ole boy from Georgia would go on to such an auspicious endeavor? LeConte had many things named after him (mountains, lakes, animal species).

All that's left are ruins and a couple of plants from the botanical gardens. A volunteer group tends the place, installed walking trails and is rebuilding the gardens. Admittance is by appointment only, although riding to the gate is obviously no problem.

Well done!
  8. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    Is there a new tag?
  9. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There ya go!
  10. Borrec

Borrec Long timer

Oddometer:
    60 miles (from previous tag) and your butt went numb or are you trying to use misinformation? ;)
  11. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    I've never made time to take a tour of the nuke power plant near there...I wonder if they are still doing tours?
  12. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Ya rekkon someone might give the map maker some help here?? :ear

:norton
  13. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:
    I actually took this pic before I snagged the TAG. Is that legal? It was about 200 miles to the TAG for me then another 100 miles to my weekend destination. I learned KLRs aren't made for cruising...
  14. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Akchooly, you're prolly not in complete compliance with the very technical and precise rules of the game :rofl

But we kinda been letting the holder of the previous tag make the call. Ain't that right dolomoto???????? :freaky

Fido:norton
  15. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    Moi?

Ironic isn't it?

I don't think Farmer should make a habit of that since it's not in the spirit of the tag.

But, this time you get a pass...I'm paying it forward from awhile back when I got a pass on a technicality (I did not have my moto in the tag picture).

So, the new tag is near a Nuke plant and has lots of hints about being near the center of central GA town.

I'm two drinks past getting it today....
  16. oldbutspry

oldbutspry Adventure is my middle name!

Oddometer:
    Aww, jeez. We drove to this town on Saturday!! (370 miles roundtrip) But now I won't have time to go there until the weekend - I'm sure someone else will make it there first. Oh well. Tell me if the nuclear plant still has tours - that sounds like something fun to see!

I just looked at online photos - we drove right past there and commented on the park but didn't stop.
  17. Farmer829

Farmer829 Green horn

Oddometer:
    Thank you kind sir. Next time I'll make sure to follow the rules.... or just not share the series of events :evil
  18. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I found this one too.
  19. oldbutspry

oldbutspry Adventure is my middle name!

Oddometer:
    You got the tag? Photo?
  20. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found it on the interweb, not in reality. Maybe Saturday if I can get away for a 260 mile round trip.