Replica 950 Rallye Tanks

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pete640, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK Ive been wanting to increase the range of the 950 for a while now and it seemed the only way to go was the tanker replacement fuel tanks from safari - that 40+ litres is sure tempting but the tank movement has me a little concerned not to mention some reports of cracking windscreens. Other than that there are those from a couple of South African companies but after hearing and seeing their fit and finish ive decided on rallye aux tanks.
    Now seeing as KTM didnt offer a version for sale to the public or the tanks as a part I decided to make my own. Thanks to barbasma for the detailed photos of Meonis R950 - a lot of very interesting detail to be seen if your looking.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/KTMPETE/950RallyeTanks#

So where are we - the GPR has replaced the stock headers/X pipe and cans saving 7 kg. Next was the seat base and tail light/fender unit (2.4kg) leaving the subframe - which is obviously different to the rally's. The link to picasa shows where Im up to atm. Next step is fairing and finishing before moulding - so other than the great ideas Ive already been given by a few inmates here does anyone have any other ideas or bits that ive forgotten to "build into" them???
    Ive done the infills (today) inboard of the frame and cutouts for the chain guars/swingarm/brake calliper/etc. Other than that Im thinking of the fillers and petcocks.

Pete:1drink
  2. seiko690

seiko690 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. seiko690

seiko690 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Search their product range, they've got some rally tanks that look just like Meonis...
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Gidday Pete. Are you just making the side tanks or are you also doing the rear fender as well ?

Looks great, any pics of them after the cut outs ?
    Edit: doh I either missed them or you just added them.

Is the total width of the rear tanks narrower then the front tank?

Exciting project :)
  5. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Deadly :wave
    Yep a couple of extra pics of the recessing to clear the swingarm/chain guide and disc caliper. The rhs tank looks off - but that was because of the midpipe bracket pushing it out.
    ...and there is a pic looking straight down showing the rh tank infill next to the shock.

...and yep - the rear tanks are much narrower than the front @450mm wide - or 18" depending where you live. Also making the seat base incorporating the rear fender and twin tail lights.

6. Vassily28

Vassily28 TheFrenchCanadian

Oddometer:
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I like the fact that your going to replicate the 950 rally tanks :evil Look forwad to seeing the end product look like .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    Why is the Adv. Rallye tank setup so hard to come by? There seems to be plenty of interest, so why hasn't someone stepped up and offered a complete, bolt-on kit?
    Or have they, and I've just missed it? :dunno

ktm950se
  9. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    $$$ , everyone wants stuff cheap and are not prepared to pay

10. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll remember you said that atgreg :evil

Having looked at some of the others made (I like the canadian one the best) none were able to be easily reproduced but frp allows you certain freedom in this regard. Ally with the welding and bending is more time consuming I guess but some products are truly brilliant.

11. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Hi Pete,

How would you go about mass producing a piece like this, do you lay up two halves in separate molds and then join them together somehow? Is there any issue of delamination if you fit the ground sometimes?

I have only seen the big tanks done with rotomolding plastic, or if using FRP the lost foam method which is obviously too time consuming for mass production.
  12. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep - 2 halfs joined. Wont be a problem with delamination given the joining method and products used.
    Not sure mass production is required atm - but if so Id investigate rotomoulding but that is a looooonnngggg way down the track. Yes I will mould it for manufacturing integrity and replacement but its just a custom part for me atm.

13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    wow. :eek1 Go for it! :super
  15. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

16. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

It would be really nice if you could use the original factory hardware for the main tanks (rubber grommets and al. busings), with the 8mm hex head hardware...all sanno...) :gerg
  17. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Flanny :wave

Thats the plan so no other tools will need to be carried to R+R them other than whats in the baggie already. Ive got some OEM 690 Rallye tanks coming over this week to have a look at to compare/weigh which should be interesting.
    Unfortunately the fab is on the go slow atm - doing a CF bashie to protect the low header - cant find one in CF that'll suit or mount up to the OEM points. :thumb

18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    :ear
  20. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :wave I know, I know. Aust safari is just around the corner and there a couple of things I have to make for some friends. :evil
    Gas caps - what are your thoughts, keep it original looking or go flush mount like the main tanks?