The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where I can get hold of those reflectors on the forks in the UK?
  2. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    That is US DOT regulations or something. Why would you want such an ugly thing on your forks? (ok we don't have to like the same things)

I am sure you can find such things in generic auto-moto shops for like 10 euros or something.
  3. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    @RichBMW

I tried the bike today in the showroom (just sit on).
    Nice bike.
    It was told that the new R1200GS was thinner than the previous GS.

Do you confirm my feeling that it's still larger (between the legs) than our HP2s :ear

Thank you :clap
  4. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Is their a cover to act as a cargo platform in place of the passenger seat, or do you have to keep the seat on to cover this area?
    [​IMG]
  5. NLS

Oddometer:
    I cannot confirm (as I don't own HP2 but I've been on it in the past), but I think that you are correct. The difference is the seat. Your HP2 (MM) has a thin "enduro" seat.

That said there is an enduro seat for new GS too (that is indeed thinner than the standard), but don't know how it relates to your seat.
  6. NLS

Oddometer:
    VERY good question. I've seen a black cover for this, but I am not sure if it an extra or it comes with the bike.
  7. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    The new Soft-Ware is out, I did put it in some bikes a couple days ago.
  8. mrjon

mrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's an extra, and like all the other extras, probably not available till the end of April,:cry
  9. specs

specs n00b

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks.
  10. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MM & HP2E have the same seats, except for the colours :nod
  11. avalher

avalher Life is Good.

Oddometer:
    Rich got busy....NICE goodies!!! Thanks for the photos....drooooool.......:thumb:thumb
  12. avalher

avalher Life is Good.

Oddometer:
    Work for BMW?
  13. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I had a reflector on my fork fall off and I just got a spare from the dealer, for around $10. They are required by DOT, for good reasons, better visibility. Maybe check bikebandit.com? Also make sure the back of the reflector (where the adhesive is) is curved, so it can form fit to the curvature of your fork.
  14. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Foot pegs - they stopped working within a few hundred miles because of the accumulated dirt and my low weight. Besides cleaning, i have to keep them very well lubricated. Then they work fine.

Side stand - i have a small foot, 9.5 US, and do not touch the side stand while standing. I'm however just preparing the bike for a trip and haven't driven a lot while standing. I made some photo's for you. It's indeed the Touratech one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this photo i didn't wear the boot so it didn't put any weight on the pegs. In practice it (the boot) will come down a little bit further and closer to the stand.
  15. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    The cover you can buy from BMW looks like this:

[​IMG]

I have one on order but it isn't available yet.
  16. oldspice1972

oldspice1972 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the bare-bones demo out this afternoon for a quick romp. BMW is going to sell a lot of these. That engine is a hoot and pretty much gives you power anywhere you need it. I was in 6th (which is a rare place to be on the RT unless I'm slabbing it) and just gave a tiny little blip of the throttle and I was OFF! Same thing in each gear. The throttle took a couple minutes to get used to, but man, is that thing responsive.

Coming off the RT, it was abundantly clear that the wind/weather protection was nowhere near as complete, but that was to be expected. I had to run the grip warmers on high, which I very rarely need to do on the RT. Handguards would have definitely helped. Temps were int the low 40s/high 30s. The handlebars are pretty wide, again, compared to the RT, and overall, the GS was very comfortable. Can't wait to see this engine in the new RT form-factor sometime in the next year or so.

Again, BMW is going to sell a shit-ton of these.
  17. CaptMorganism

CaptMorganism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am just back from the closest dealer to me in Baton Rouge, LA. They had the owner out doing a break in run on the demo. There was another of the 2013's there as well. I only sat on it and compared to the "2013" right next to it (2013 in name only, it was a 2012 style). I found it to be narrower where the seat meets the tank but the bar reach and view seemed similar as did the felt weight. The quickly adjustable wind screen and electronic cruise seemed very nice.
    A new one didn't come home with me because apparently I was expected to pay full MSRP without discussion.....:rofl Yeah that aint gonna happen.
  18. boulderbobo

boulderbobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I rode the new base model R1200gs. The bike has more power than mine (my bike is '05 and 2 gens older) but felt very similar handling. I did have one complaint. I was virtually impossible to find neutral. WTF?

Anyone else have this problem?

Bob-
  19. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Yes. Most of the time i can find neutral without too much effort.
    Sometimes it is however very difficult to find neutral.
    One time at a stoplight i just gave up trying to find it.
  20. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didnt have this problem at all. Compared to previous boxers its harder to find but to anyone used to jap bikes its no different. Your foot will develop a feel for it.