ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #181
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,098
The Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT)

So I wish I had remembered post #83. This was our second time doing the KAT. First time we did the West. This time we tried to do the East but didn't get far. We only had two nights so the last morning we cruised over to the west section to do a bit before heading up 75N to return to Cincinnati.

The previous day on section one I was leading and had water locked on a very deep mud puddle. It totally took me by surprised and I was pissed. I should have stopped and surveyed it or went around it.

So when I came upon this one, we all stopped, surveyed and counted the cost. I could see the tops of rocks 2/3 or the way across so assumed it was shallow enough. I also had my snorkel so I screwed it into the air take and off I went.

Then I fell into a hole and was concerned the bike was going to be dragged down stream. The current was strong. I put it on its side stand which leaned it against the current and waited for help.

We had a winch with us so we hooked it to another GSA about 15 feet in from shore and connected it to my luggage rack. About 20 minutes after submerging, I was out.

Then came emptying the bike. I took it up on the steep bank and waited for all the water to drain out of the pipes and cat converter. Then, took out all four spark plugs and blew out the water. But it still wouldn't start. I checked my air box and oil was sitting up to the top.

I pulled the oil drain plug and water ran out of the engine like it was coming from a garden hose for a minute. Someone then went and got new oil and a couple water jugs. We changed the oil on the bank and the bike started right up and came 3 hrs home. At home I gave it another full oil change.

On the whole I have zero regrets. This one was a calculated decision that didn't turn out well. The other one was careless this one was intentional adventurous. We got to do things we would never do otherwise.

We love the KAT

Britome screwed with this post 11-16-2014 at 11:06 AM Reason: changes
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #182
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
We got to do things we would never do otherwise.
NICE!!! That really sums it up. Good post.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #183
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,651
Glad it all worked out and everyone returned home safe. Thanks for posting your "Adventure"!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #184
watox
BDR-Junky

Oddometer: 41
The "creek" was more of a river. Britome's approach was perfect but the depth changed very quickly. Very glad we had our XT-17 winch.

Tapatalk wouldnt let me post the video, so check this out to see the "creek run" http://youtu.be/u8t_cNp6k9Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watox screwed with this post 11-16-2014 at 12:20 PM
watox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #185
windex
former hobo

Oddometer: 14
The KAT was super fun, and the November weather couldn't have been better. On the east portion we rode, we hit a lot more pavement than I expected. But the trails were fantastic. One of the "hard" legs proved accurate—hundreds of yards driving down a creek and lots of mud made for good, challenging riding on our GS's.

Two of the bikes made it home thanks to a rented U-Haul, but I don't think either of the issues were a direct result of the KAT.

Also, we learned how to juggle hot coals. I'd call the trip a success.
windex is offline   Reply With Quote