UK Newbie

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Fantastic Mister Fox, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Fantastic Mister Fox

Fantastic Mister Fox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently Signed up to ADV Rider.

Hi there, I've just signed up to ADV rider after a few years on other adventure biking sites (HU and ABR) I have now joined this one. I couldn't find a welcome thread and thought it would be rude to post without introducing myself.

So here I am Fantastic Mister Fox (FMF for short or my real name Matt).

Currently in the process of planning a RTW to depart in 2013 with Fantastic Missus Fox, with a warm up in Poland next summer.

I am currently looking for 2 CCM SR 40s (New or very low milage prefered) if any one knows of any for sale it would be greatly apreciated. I have been in contact with CCM direct and I'm currently waiting on a date that they will have them ready next as they are currently concerntrating on a milatry contract.
  2. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome Matt. Looking forward to hearing about your preparations and RTW trip.
  3. Mr S Venom

Mr S Venom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not long in this myself, look forward to reading about your trips. Currently planning trip to Morocco in 2012 on my 98 Speed Triple along with my friend on his Harley 1340. To make the bikes more compatible for speed and economy, I have fitted big daft cruiser style bars with the renthal brace off the bars that were on before. Oil change,chain and sprockets,new tyres and clutch and check valves and that is the bike prep done.
    Will post pics when I work out how!
    Roll on summer:clap
  4. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome :deal
  5. Fantastic Mister Fox

Oddometer:
    Hi There,

I was in morocco last summer on dual sport bike don't know if my blogg will help you at all http://mudandknobblies.blogspot.com
  6. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    I've never seen a real life SR40, let alone one for sale :lol3 Look like they'd be great fun for a trip though, supposedly light too, not sure about tank size though!
  7. Zen Overland

Zen Overland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you on here Matt, and thanks for leading that Wales green lane trip, cracking fun.

We're starting the project to prepare Tracey's SR40 soon, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. She's after luggage capability, bash plate, and probably fuel range.

I'm borrowing a friends Husky WR360 for a while until I find a decent WR450 or a CRF, so if you're heading out for any local rides, do give me a shout.
    Or maybe Strata Florida sometime?

In fact, if anyone knows for a reasonably priced WR450F, I've got cash waiting :-)
  8. Pampera

Pampera Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't want to appear rude/negative, but what makes you think the CCM is in any way a better choice than a DR-Z400S?

You can get loads of aftermarket stuff for the Suzuki off the shelf, plus spares.

Did CCM ever make any more than a handful of those bikes, and will they ever make them again?

They had an advert in MCN a while back in which they appeared to be destocking their Suzuki engines.
  9. SPS7

SPS7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi FMF

Appreciate your trip is some way of but if heading to Poland past the Bonn area there's accommodation available here for you and Mrs FMF.

Look forward to reading about your adventures

SPS7
  10. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Good point, I believe the CCM's also used Aussie 400E engines which means they have the Keihin type carb as fitted to KTM's etc, hardly the best choice of carb for fuel consumption etc on an RTW trip. It's possible the 400E/CCM engine also has higher compression, if so, low octane fuel in some regions will be a serious problem, another reason for opting for the "softer" 400S.

As Pampera said, I'd seriously consider going for a DRZ400S with the CV carb, it will give much better fuel mileage. I prepped a 400S for Ela's South America trip last year, useful info here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648915
  11. Fantastic Mister Fox

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your reply's.

The CCM is still available to buy new, but they aren't making bikes for public sale for a couple of months.

the fuel range on the CCM has been one of our main concerns in the inital planning, I hadn't realised the the engine was the harder edged DRZ 400e engine, my previous posts on HU and ABR haven't flagged up this yet. I haven't yet bought the bike so there is always time to change our minds.

I like the wider seat on the CCM as opposed the enduro style on the DRZ. Liz (my wife) has major concerns about seat as she has a short inside leg length, I'n not sure the DRZ seat height can be dropped to below 820mm.

I have considered the BMW xcountry, and looked at both DRZ 400s and WR250r but none of them felt right for us.
  12. Fantastic Mister Fox

Oddometer:

Thanks for the offer, you never know we make take you up on it
  13. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Seriously, forget the CCM, there are plenty of low mileage DRZ400S out there. Talon do lowering links to lower the rear. To lower the front, you'll need to fit bar risers to lift the bars to allow you to slide the forks through the yokes to level the bike out. If it's still too high, cut some foam out of the seat and recover using the original seat cover.

Pumpy is 1.65m tall and managed very well on her South America trip despite a considerable amount of luggage. The bike also gave 70+mpg when ridden carefully.
  14. alexhs

alexhs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi FMF
    I'm planning a solo trip to Morocco this Oct on a tenere. Can I offer you a beer sometime in Bristol to pick your brains. As for Poland, I went down through the Balkans last summer, might make a more interesting route for you ? Bosnia and Albania were fantastic.
  15. Fantastic Mister Fox

Oddometer:
    I'm always up for a beer, I'll pm you my number so we can talk in more detail.

I rode to Croatia a few years ago, that coast road is fantastic, but I think it's poland for us This year as Fantastic Missus Fox has family over there and we reall ought to pay a visit at some time.
  16. Harty

Harty Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer:
    Hi Matt

I've seen you about on the ABR forum and possibly at the HUBB meet at the Mendips last year. I'm currently selling a refoamed/lowered DRZ seat for £90(Let me kno if you're after more details) I'm also in the process of about to sell my X Country of which I have modded to suit more off-road.

Cheers Harty
  17. alexhs

alexhs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great. I'll wait to hear from you.
  18. Fantastic Mister Fox

Oddometer:
    Didn't you get my PM
  19. Harty

Harty Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer:
    No pm, if you mean me??
  20. Fantastic Mister Fox

Oddometer:
    Sorry Harty no I was replying to Alexhs about meeting for a beer.

Alex you should have a PM