KLR back from the dead? Hopefully, yes.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kawidad, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mdlak

mdlak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great Kawidad! :thumb

Let us know what you think when you take it for a test ride, please...
  2. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

I took it for a brief test ride. Brief only because of the warped rotor, which is annoying. Anyway, the new brakes have a much better feel and modulation with a better bite. With a proper rotor, I think the braking action will be much improved. Handling on road is no real difference, but off road is where I expect the difference to be and I didn't try that yet. That will be the real test of whether or not I wasted my time and money.

Anyway, here's a picture of the almost finished product.

[​IMG]
  3. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than dialing it in, job's done. :D

I installed the TT Vapor unit and got the new rotor installed.

Interesting, but the ignition fit nicely onto the new triple clamp. Yamaha was nice enough to place a bracket in the right spot for one bolt. All I had to do was put in a small spacer to align the steering lock and make a small L bracket for the second bolt, and walla-walla, done. :clap

The Vapor install was not overly difficult, but the directions are crap. In the end I cut the harness and used new Hitachi style connecters to hook it all together. The only thing I haven't hooked up yet is the temperature sending unit.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. For those that might be curious my total investment is less than $2 grand. And, I'd conservatively estimate I've shaved 20 lbs off by going aftermarket and reducing some of the factory overbuild.:deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are still some few minor things I might do, other than replacing the gawd awful seat, but the jury's out on those. For now it's ride and dial. :feelgood
  4. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well after seeing that I forgot to post my conclusion about the front end, I thought better late than never. :augie

The donor front works brilliantly, after I re-sprung it for the proper or near the proper weight. They don't make a spring that is perfectly set up for the weight, but I was able to get close thanks to Sonic Springs. :clap

The Yammie brakes are perfect for the application and the new boingers are a really nice addition. All in all not bad for the amount of money spent. :freaky
  5. go::ahead

go::ahead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a roller coaster! Great job on the front end, that took some creativity and brass

So what is the verdict on the top end, still burning oil?
  6. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks

The only reason I knew it was burning anything was by pulling the top off to replace the crap gaskets, otherwise, you'd never know. :freaky
  7. fleshpiston

fleshpiston Think bicycles, ya perv

Oddometer:

What did you end up with? I have a set of .50kg I was going to try but I still think I might need .52 or even .54 :dunno

8. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it's 52's. It's been a while. I remember it's lighter than the recommended weight, but Rich had some already made up, so it was easy to source.