Riders, where did you choose to ride today?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andy Mc, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am I finally turning into a Rider (as Dakez would say) instead of a Biker? I needed to run to Memphis and back, and chose to take the RT instead of the company cage. Endured 150 miles of slab early in the day :cry to get the business out of the way, in order to enjoy 200 miles of back-roads the rest of the day :clap.

On my first overnight ride a few years ago I woke up one morning and thought "Oh crap, I'm a whole days' ride from home, what if something happens?" Not a rider.

A year later, woke up again on a trip and thought "Alright, I'm two full days' riding from home, wonder how much further I can go?" Maybe a Rider?

Earlier this year, rode a 1,000 mile round trip one weekend to meet some (new) friends for BBQ; 250 miles of the ride home were in the pouring rain, didn't get home until midnight. I think I'm turning into a Rider...

Where did you choose to ride today, that means you've turned into a Rider?
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I commute into DC most days. That makes me a rider!:lol3

Jim :brow
  3. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode to work and back. I rode to Wal Mart and back. I ride nearly every day and almost everywhere while I leave the cage in the driveway. I ride when it's in the 20s and when it's in the 90s. I ride in the rain and sometimes in the snow.

I'd say all that makes me a rider.:ricky
  4. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    work and back.
    same every day, sometimes take the long way home.
    weekend rides through northren cal.
    18k a year
    23 - 110 deg f. i avoid the rain if i can.
  5. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    I raise you a Los Angeles!

:strum
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    We might have to thumb wressle to decide a winner. I have ridden in both, and LA at least allows lane splitting, and the drivers there are a bit more attuned to the idea that there are MCs on the road with them.:evil

7. davidbeinct

davidbeinct Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have only driven cars in either, but the people in DC may be the most clueless drivers in the US.

Also, because it is our nation's capital, and pretty much at the Mason/Dixon line, it gets every kind of bad driver. It gets the northeast/big city get the frack out of my way road rager and the oh no, I insist, your first, AH'M in no hurry overly polite southerner.

I don't think any thumb wrestling is in order, DC is the clear winner (loser?).

David B.
  8. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    IDK about that, but you ain't very bright for doing that! :augie

...and yes! I'm teasing you!

If I needed to get to DC on a regular basis sure as shootin I'd ride too!

M
  9. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding in SoCal scares the pee pee out of me!!

:eek1
  10. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose to ride to work today, just like most days since towards the end of April. I've only got about 2200 miles on so far this year but the majority of those are commuting miles. :(

Tomorrow, I'll choose to ride to meet some friends who are already camping, and remain there for a day or two.
  11. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I've only been commuting in Orange County, California for the last 15 years and a bit. Doesn't seem much different than commuting in Seattle, Denver, Phoenix or anyplace else I've had to.
    Well, we do get to split lanes here.

And I rode to work today. Once upon a time I rode my bicycles to work often enough that my motorcycle and car batteries would go flat. Now, I live too far away for that and am in no condition to support the venture.
    But, now I don't have a car. My wife has the car, I have the motorcycle. Most days I think I have the better side of that deal.
  12. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    i got caught in the escape from portland comute on the way to see my sister in washugal.
    i'll take the bay area comute any day....i can split!
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    HOV man, HOV!:clap

It takes me 40-50 minutes in and 50-75 home by bus and metro. On the bike it is 15 minutes in a 20 minutes home. That is a lot of saved time, plus I get to ride!:1drink

14. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Lucked out and did some recreational riding today. Did the loop through Oakman to Berry and through Wolf Creek Wildlife Management area down by Carbon Hill. Taunted Mother Nature by skirting thunderstorms the whole trip. Got sprinkled on a bit. She got revenge and dropped a Biblical downpour on me the last 1/2 mile.

:D

--Bill
  15. killianm

killianm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Northeast PA commute (60 miles round trip) is nice except when it snows. I do take the cage if its raining when I'm heading into work. Yesterday I did a little loop in the Bald Eagle SF and the day before a loop in Northern Columbia, Luzurne, Lackawana,Wyoming and Sulivan counties. Other than snow or taking the Family I ride!!:clap
  16. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm doing my first decent ride tomorrow. 105 miles or so to Baltimore (one way) to get to an audition, then back afterwards in time for dinner. It'll be fun.
  17. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    110 mile round trip for a regular size Schlotzky's original, bag o chips and a cherry coke. :ricky:dg:ricky

NOT work related :deal :D
  18. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    200ish miles going nowhere in particular. It was a good morning. :clap
  19. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    I chose to not ride anywhere today. Most likely won't ride anywhere tomorrow, either.

On the 24th I'll be putting in a 12 hour day to go 680 miles. Then I'll do some riding around in the Post Falls/CdA area of Idaho, maybe take a jaunt over to Montana to check out some places, and probably spend some time enjoying Spokane and some areas North of there.

After a week of such torture, it'll be back home and back to the usual grind of commuting. At least my commute is all country roads. :clap
  20. Wavedog

Wavedog Continuously amazed.

Oddometer:
    Last night I rode the v-strom I bought from smitkev2 in Auburn, Alabama to my home in Palm Coast, Fl. A 417 mile drive there in the car with my wife, then she drove home and I rode the bike 417 miles. This was her idea. She is a trooper. Got home at midnight. The last two hours were in the rain on the interstate. Enjoyed every minute of it. That was my ride yesterday. Today the only riding I did was fire up the guzzi and run it around the neighborhood. Whenever I ride the guzzi people in the neighborhood wave, especially kids. Whenever I ride anything else nobody looks, waves, nothing.