Bar risers for 950

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ian123, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian123

Ian123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    New Inmate and proud owner of 950 Adventure in Silver :clap ( Silver is obviously faster than Orange or Black....:evil )

Whilst recovering from a foot injury picked up during the recent Fantastic Rally of Discovery in Cyprus (Thanks V much Richie, Pat, Jerry etc)
    I managed to drop a DR650 on my right foot during a steep right turn

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 153.75pt; HEIGHT: 115.5pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="foot 002" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ianmc\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Anyway, with three broken metatarsels and a K wire and broken ankle bone I thought now is the time for some internet shopping for my new toy. All help wecome.

1. As I am 6 feet 5 inches tall I thought bar risers would be a good idea. I have seen the KTM product online and wondered if anyone has used these or are there any other options out there? Any other rec mods for tall guys?

2. Will the Touratech luggage rack extension fit over the Gobi mounting bars? Are ther any other options?

3. Whilst comfortable and Waterproof my BMW Contur Plus boots did not do a great job of protecting my feet can anyone recommend something a little more robust?

4. Is the upgrade to Phillips Vision Plus blubs worth the effort?

Thanks in advance and any of you guys that have not tried the Rally of Discovery - Shame!

Ian

2. lofdog1313

lofdog1313 lofdog1313

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Well most will reply that the risers are to weak and give little true help but they did help me some. Not enuf but some I just haven't wanted to go the handle bar changing route till I screwed mine up which will happen sooner or later. I raced pro moto-x way back in the early 70's when 2-3 inch rear travel suspension was the normal and thus you road 99% of the then 40 minute moto's on your feet. That is until you became to tired and your butt finally found the seat at which time you were soon being pounded by rear end bottom outs and more. I'm 6'2" plus and the risers didn't give me enuf to make standing comfortable and new bars would make it better. What I also did was remove the rubber peg insert which lowered the feet some and helped a bit also. My next move was to look for offset pegs which we also used in the old days to move your weight back toward the rear wheel for traction purposes also making the front end lighter which were adjustable in the way you rotate the mounting offset to give you also a height change if you so wanted it. I could not find anything like it and not being a welder or anything like it gave up. With an offset lower and toward rear peg, no rubber slippery insert and bar risers I would have been set. You at 6'5" will have to resort to difdferent bars or a knee operation to reduce your height some. :eek2

Cheers,

Lof
  3. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Congats on the new bike!! Silver is an outstanding choice.

The KTM risers and a new Magura EX handle bar did the trick for me at 6' 1". I also have a two inch taller seat that helps my transition from seat to feet.
  4. RJO

RJO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touratech rack will fit. I trust you mean the pannier frames for the GOBI's? The plate simply replaces the original little one using the four bolts. I know it fits....I had one fitted. Much better than the little one but expensive for what it is. I sold my plate on EBAY when I got the GOBI topbox.

Roger.
  5. Ian123

Ian123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input I guess we will start with the Bar risers and take it on from there! You're not the first to suggest surgery but it sounds a little drastic!
  6. Ian123

Ian123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks V much - Allthis internet shopping is costing a fortune! Still only another 4 weeks of 'foot 8 inches above heart' to go!!
  7. Ian123

Ian123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help where did you get the two inche taller seat? I have been told I make the 950 look like a 'monkey bike'!!:rofl
  8. mattawa88

mattawa88 It's all about the Ride!

Oddometer:
    At 6'4" I needed some bar risers also, the ktm products were on backorder, so I made some 1" risers on my lathe. They helped a lot.
    I've got the stock seat and want to try some Fastway pegs, I believe they are offset to lower your feet 1/2".
  9. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the bar risers...i'm 6' 2 and dont feel they raised them enough so i rotated the bars forwards and it feels higher and arms out better.
    I have the fastways pegs which are the same as the exc's and they drop em about 1/2'' which aint much.....the sidestand side peg catches on the sidestand spring triangle plate thing.....only when the peg has been kicked upwards and goes to retract....just needs stepping on with the foot to force it.

Boots.........alpinestars tech 8's!!I wear these on and off roading on the 950 and the 450exc......comfy once u wear them a few times.(buy a size bigger than your usual footwear).

Headlight....My UK headlight is VERY good......far superior to the 1150GS lights....even when they have fog lamps on too!!:huh :huh
  10. Ian123

Ian123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for the input - I will try and make the UK meet in the North in August and bring a couple of guys with me! I have tried to mail Pat Keenan as he's good for a song!! After a drink:freaky
  11. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wont be at the UK meet due to being travelling around Europe in August but the meeting should show you a few things you might want to do with the bike.

I wish i could make it though.
  12. BWalker

BWalker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my 30mm risers from loadedagain (on this site). I can't believe the difference. I'm 6'4" and it was a real pain when I stood on the pegs, but not since I got the risers. Much more comfortable riding position for me too. Seems like the handling is better but that might just be that I'm getting used to the bike.
  13. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:

I'm apparently a little guy at 5'11". But I got my bar risers from Loaded Again as well and like them. Loaded Again's website.

http://www.stenhouseracing.com/
  14. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are they the same one's listed for the 640 Adv?
  15. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Yes, Stenhouse Racing's risers are the same for 640 and 950. The tallest you can go without messing with your cables on the 950 is 1 1/2".
  16. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Renazco Dualsport Seats.
  17. katoosh

katoosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hasn't Ricardo already done this? People seem to love his risers. At 6' and pretty "average", I'm relatively happy with my KTM risers and stock bars, so WTF do I know? I'm just trying to keep people from reinventing the wheel.
  18. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    I thought his risers were for Beemers? NO?
  19. katoosh

katoosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No way.

He has the full line for assorted 950 types. You have to love his descriptions of product line.

Search vendors for Ricky Bars or Ricardo Kuhn.
  20. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    AHAH! said the blind man. Very kewl. Just sent him an email. Thanks
    for the heads up! :clap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.