CA Coast Question

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by TheRoss, Dec 17, 2012.

1. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be in LA in the middle of January. What is the highway up to San Francisco like in winter?

How about 101 on up the coast?

Ice or snow issues right along the coast?

Thanks!
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    There is Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Highway aka:pCH) and Hwy 101, in some places they are one and the same, but mostly PCH sticks close to the coast and is at most 2 lanes in each direction. The 101 is mostly 2 lanes in each direction and is freeway or limited access highway. The 101 goes inland from the coast and is heavily traveled. Staying right on the coast you may see some frost in the early mornings but usually not more than that (mostly due to the ocean warmth). Inland on the 101 will see colder temps but besides some frost but agian it not that bad. Further north from SF you go it will get colder. Last January I rode up to Washington from Southern Calif. Way North of SF I went up Interstate 5 and got into real cold temps (mid 20's) and some freezing rain. Again way North of SF I came back south on PCH and it was low to mid 30's in the mornings, but by noon it was in the 50's.
  3. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Early mornings in places on pch may be icy, but later in the a.m. it melts quick. PCH between San Francisco and L.A. a bitchen' ride with lots of coastal views and some technical areas. Highly reccomended, just watch for rvers, although they are fewer in the winter.
  4. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    You won't have any trouble with either Hwy 1 or 101 as far as ice or snow. You could catch some rain in January so be prepared for that.

If for some reason you decided to go up I-5, there is a pass near the small town of Gorman that is a little over 4,000 feet. Occasionally a winter storm will drop snow up there, and the highway will actually be closed, though usually for not more than several hours. Just watch the weather reports.

The California Department of Transportation maintains a website where you can enter highway numbers, ie "1", "101" or "5" and it returns current road conditions including closures:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi :deal
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Best time to ride the PCH is in winter. A lot less traffic and the weather can be beautiful.:D
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Now you have me thinking, I haven’t done the Nacimiento-Fergusson loop in a long time. The time is right, just need a break in the weather. We are having stormy weather but it will be wonderful in a few days:deal
  6. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    PCH in Northern California? Isn't that like calling the City "Frisco"?
  7. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Why yes as a matter of fact it is. Funny thing about FRISCO is that people that live there all hate people from Southern California, but when asked about FRISCO, people in So Cal will say: "That's like up north some where...right???". San Francisco is actually closer to being in Central California than Northern California, but there is no way they could be associated with Stockton or Fresno..:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  8. ThirdBestFriend

ThirdBestFriend Explorer

Oddometer:
    January along the coast will be rainy in the high 40s, low 50s during the day. However, sometimes you'll luck out and get some sun for a short stretch of days, where temps can get up into the low 60s. A light dusting of snow can happen once or twice at higher elevations (like the top of Mt. Tam), but is unusual enough to make the news (not just the weather report).
  9. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will Rogers said, " the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Lord have pity on ya' in January:rofl
  10. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    That was Mark Twain not Will Rogers.
  11. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

Apparently according to the internet it Twain't him that said it either. But they don't seem to know who might have said it.
  12. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Huh?:D San Francico is like that.
    I ride along the coast a lot in winter, I can be really nice.
  13. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's actually a difference I think .... people here don't call it Frisco, but at least they'll know what you're talking about. If you stray off your route and ask someone how to get back to the PCH, they may have no clue. Same with calling this state "Cali" ....

Anyway, rain and damp is likely, ice possible in shady areas of coastal hills (but not right along the ocean) and snow, as someone said, is a news story. But there's usually no fog in winter, so when it's dry it's CLEAR. I rode to Monterey and back a few days ago (a very boring stretch of Hwy 1) ... you could see to the horizon and the ocean was brilliant blue.

-dman (Bay Area native)
  14. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    This is what Herb Caen (a legendary SF columnist) said:

"Caress each Spanish syllable, salute our Italian Saint. Don't say Frisco and don't say San-Fran-Cis-Co. That's the way Easterners, like Larry King pronounce it. It's more like SanfrnSISco."

And those of us who live here don't generally call it San Francisco; we call it "The City."
  15. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the internet said it WASN'T Mark Twain, but nowhere does it say it WASN'T Will Rogers-so I'm stickin' with it!:wink:
  16. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    As of today, Hwy 1 is closed due to slides in two places South of Carmel: at Partington Ridge Road and at Lucia due to slides. No estimate of reopening date as yet. Check the Cal Trans website before riding.

This is a fairly common occurance along this stretch in rainy weather.
  17. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC, Herb Caen always called California's capital city Sack-a-tomato.

-dman
  18. bashplate

bashplate ugh

Oddometer:
    Hwy 1 is still closed from Lucia to Grimes Canyon. BUT you can ride as far as the Nacimiento-Ferguson road and climb away from the coast on one of the most spectacular set of twisties in California. It runs through Fort Hunter-Ligget and back to the 101. Depending on which way you are going you can catch the Jolon rd south or the airline highway (hwy 25) north (off 101 to 198 or the Bitterwater out of King Shitty). Both are excellent MC roads - all paved but twisties and minimum po po. :wink: Then you can work your way back to the 1.
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Bummer that slides closed Hwy 1 again. It has been a couple years, so I guess we were due. If you have time, doubling back from the north to see Big Sur is worth it.

Naciamento Rd. to Hwy 25 would be sweet, though. The little restaurant in Tres Pinos has some awsome gourmet food , or the Super Taqueria in Hollister (across from Kmart) has the best taco truck style tacos I've ever had for cheap prices.
  20. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    If you take Naciemanto - Ferguson Rd. up from the coast, make sure your papers are in order. You have to transit Fort Hunter Ligget and they will check your license, registration and proof of insurance before letting you do so.

Also be very cognizant of the speed limits on the military base.