Spokane Rental Help

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by MooseKiller, Aug 15, 2013.

1. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Greetings everyone!

So the wife and I have decided to pull up stakes and head to Spokane! We are planning on relocating to the area in early September, and we are looking for a place to rent for a bit.

The reason why I am throwing this out here is that we have a bit of a tall order, and I am hoping the inmates here might be able to help. We are hoping for a short term rental that accepts a large dog. 1 bed/1 bath is fine, but a single family house with fenced yard is *highly* desirable. Our dog is well behaved and people friendly, but doesn't get along with other dogs... We'd be willing to pay a bit extra for a short term agreement if landlords are willing to negotiate down from the usual 1 year agreement.

If you happen to know of someone who may be able to help, the wife and I (dog too) would be very grateful!
  2. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    There is a place down the road from us that seems to have the "for rent" sign out every few months and is posted again now. They either keep getting screwed over, or they rent it month to month. It appears to be a double-wide back a long driveway in a rural locale 2 miles from the WA state line outside of Post Falls, ID. Not sure about a fence. I'll grab the number for you on my way to work tonight if it is still posted.
  3. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Very much appreciated... Thank you!
  4. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    I had to run to the store and ran past there along the way. Turns out, the sign is outside a different place a few driveways down, and I'm not sure which house it is for. The phone # is for a rental management business called "Anytime Rentals" - they might be able to help you. 208-661-1338. The one in question is on Riverview Drive near the Pleasantview school. Good luck!
  5. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Will give it a shot! Thanks!
  6. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Boy, your requirements are tough. Large dog, yard, really short lease.... I don't know of any properties like that. Some apartments allow a six month lease, and you can always bail out early if you don't mind losing all your deposit. I suggest that you email some local realtors and see what they can come up with.

Have you ever visited before? There are a really wide variety of neighborhoods, a few of them are pretty run down and rough. Don't jump at a rental until you verify what sort of neighbors you have. There is some serious gang/ drug activity in the poorer parts of town.

Do you have school aged kids? Job preference(s)?

If you have any specific questions about Spokane I will try to help. I've been here 11 years, after 22 years in Puget Sound. This might help: .... http://www.spokanister.net/ktm_DS_area_description.htm

BTW: WIRM (mentioned in the article above) is no more - it was a local dual sport group that died from member apathy.
  7. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, John... Yeah, we know it is a tall order, and we are working with a realtor as well in an effort to pull this together on short notice. Worse comes to worse, we will go with the 6 month lease, but thought I would put the inquiry out here as well in case 'someone know someone'...

Yes, I visited with the wife last fall, and I really liked the area. My wife graduated from Whitworth, so she has spent quite a bit of time in Spokane and really enjoyed it. She is more familiar with the details of Spokane than I am, so she knows which areas to avoid.

Kid just turned 18, so she is off to get her degree in vet med... Wife is a licensed professional counselor and has a bite on employment (not a done deal, but fingers crossed). I am a senior supervisor in a call center, with a BS in business. Looking for a career change into something not customer service, but willing to do what it takes to get a job.

Dog is a housebroken and well behaved Rott, loves people and is stupid silly most times. But she was a rescue and doesn't play well with other dogs. We are responsible owners and go out of our way to make sure her needs are met. (One of the reasons we want to move to Spokane is to get a house with lots of land/space, just for the dog. OK, us too!)

As for my riding needs, I currently have my R1100GS up for sale, but prepared to bring it along. I was in a serious accident three years ago and haven't ridden since. I'll get back on the horse eventually... :ricky

Thanks for the link! That sounds like what we are looking for! I am sure I will have some questions pop up, and will post them here as they do...
  8. mcjunky

mcjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple months late, just rented what you described, doh. I may have a line on another though, I'll talk to her tonight or tomorrow. It is on the market but she may be interested in a little extra rent money.
  9. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  10. mcjunky

mcjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I talked to Pat about her house, I sent you a pm
  11. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Greetings again! Just a quick update... Wife and I are now safe and sound in Spokane. It has been a whirlwind move, and I am just getting a chance to finally get back online and update things. I thank all of you for your help and suggestions.... Very much appreciated! We definitely enjoy being here in Spokane. Now all we need is our stuff to show up! :D