3 sisters to phoenix az

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by red bud, Nov 16, 2012.

1. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    may try to do this in janurary,

how's the weather?

any advice?

anything i gotta do over all else?

rds, bars, sites, strange stuff, cool stuff, speed traps, fishing holes, panramaic veiws, stuff to avoid, ?

what cya got?
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    take your coat! :deal
  3. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks dr

how about the rest of u ff's give up what cya know
  4. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    Phoenix in January can be a mixed bag, daytime temps in the 50-60+ degree range or down to the low 40's and windy at times. I've seen rain and snow as well, though the snow is usually gone by 10 AM.

For the most part, the weather should not be an issue. When I lived in AZ (Cave Creek, 1980-1986 and 1993-1998) the riding season was year-long.

Three Sisters rings a bell, but I can't place it. Generally, the snow level in AZ tends to stay above 4k feet, but can drop as low as 1500 feet ASL on occasions.

Prescott has really grown, but downtown, (the former State capitol) is a nice see, right across from Whiskey Row and Matt's. Sedona is also gorgeous with a bit of twisties on the climb out to the North.

The area North of Phoenix is prime riding. You may want to invest in some USFS maps of Tonto NF and Prescott or Coconino NF if you want to explore off the beaten trail. Just be aware that some of the Forest Roads are "seasonal" and are closed in winter months.

-Joe
  5. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Phoenix sucks, try Big Bend:D
  6. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    In Texas expect two fronts per week during the winter. Lows at or below freezing highs as high as 80 degrees. Take rain gear but don't bother having it handy unless your daily weathercast tells you to expect rain.

From the sisters I would take 90 west. Bracketville is a known speed trap and mailing in a ticket can be a pain in the tail. There are lots of hills for the DPS to hide behind.

Once in West Texas don't expect to find anything by tarmac until you get to El Paso, which is close to 600 miles. Depending on your carrier you can expect your service to drop one you're past Sanderson.

m
  7. jtwest

jtwest Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer:
    the curvy roads between flag and wickenburg are beautiful...the deserts around wickenburg are a blast for offroading. In the 6 years I have lived in AZ it gets cold but never intolerable especially during the day unless you're north of prescott.