Part II: Dockingpilot & NJ Crew Ride TAT West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Nov 25, 2008.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    We continue west
    Bruce decides to tighten, then slacken, then tighten, then slacken just hair, his chain :lol3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I looked down at my 276c and it was telling me "next turn 98 miles ahead" I knew we were getting out there ! :clap Holy smoke was this part cool. 6th gear type riding here.
    [​IMG]

Sevier Lake. Its a dry lake bed. You'll see a lot of this out here. Super cool. Again, July, August ? :knary
    The 1st 2 weeks of Sept......perfect.
    [​IMG]

DK's camera catches a glimps of Cyrstal Peak off in the distance.
    [​IMG]

When I return, Ill take you to Crystal Peak and over the Utah Nevada border for our overnight in Baker Nv. :thumb
  2. JcbKarl

JcbKarl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, thanks for taking the effort to post. I'm now inspired to hit the TAT west of Moab (which is as far as I've been). I like seeing your visor in your videos. I think it adds something, kind of reminding you that you're on a motorcycle. I have my camera mounted on the side of the helmet, but lower down than yours and I might move mine up so I see the visor.
  3. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm reliving the western TAT thru your post. Makes me want to run it again. Group of four went in early July. Temps weren't that bad--did not really bother us. Now lets see more.
  4. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    :ear I am taking it all in Frank..........thanks for the tips.....

back to.....:lurk
  5. spanker

spanker Lake City, FL

Oddometer:
    Great pics guys, I'm still cryin' in my beer about having to turn back in Utah.
  6. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    So were now ripping across the Great Basin high desert on our way to the Nevada border. Again, we would ride this road for 98 miles before turning right on another just like this for another long stretch. Incredible :clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we came up on the really slick "Crystal Peak"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was so cool. It looked like it was snowed covered from a distance. We took a good 30 minute break here just to drink it all in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One more from afar
    [​IMG]

We saddle up and continue westward. I'm telling you, you could see what looked like 50 miles and you could make out the road, like a white ribbon unfurled in front of you. You could also see signiture small clouds of dust way out, and spread out. They were my posse riding westward ahead of me. Pretty neat.
    [​IMG]

DK and I go off route and ride to a dry lake bed we could see in a distance. We did not want this day to end. Notice that deep blue sky.
    [​IMG]

The traction your bike gets on these flat surfaces is unbelievable ! I mean you can do super tight circles at high speeds. Cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DK and I are riding together now. Were not sure were the other fellas are at this point. Not that we needed to look for them. We all were untethered. Here we are approaching the Nevada border.
    [​IMG]

And finally, the Utah/Nevada border.....look familar Bigdog & Gaspipe ? :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And we pull into the Border Inn for the night. BTW, what you see in the photo is all there is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice Johns leg in the above shot. OOccchhhhh !!

Utah: Super cool, almost alien landscape.
    And now the Utah video.
    If you want to see it in High Quality click on the link then and chose it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfGDJwvKjU
    OR:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pxfGDJwvKjU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pxfGDJwvKjU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

UP NEXT: NEVADA. As remote as you can get. And as my friend Tony would describe it to us before we left " the only place left in the U.S. where you will see the old wild west as it was" :thumb
    Also, my best and favorite video by far.....
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Man, that's one beautiful ride!! thanks for the updates and the new video :thumb

bring on Nevada! :lurk
  8. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!! :clap :clap :clap

That's funny, we post within minutes of each other in different reports...you have ghost riders...I have ghost story.:huh

Ride on ghost riders!!! :ricky
  9. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  10. idahojoe

idahojoe shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Great ride, BTW, you're getting close to my house. Good to see you again!
  11. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    How the heck ya been Joe ? ! Ya I know, I was looking up there on the map think of the same thing. We was really close ! :clap
    Say hi to the boys in the shop, still the best KTM shop Ive seen anywhere.
  12. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic guys. Thanks.:clap :clap :clap
  13. The Lad

The Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys from New Jersey are awesome ! What a trip :clap
  14. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Great report.

Thanks for taking us along. Hoping to do this ride in 09, off to Baja in Feb.
  15. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Baja Ho:

Baja is on our wish list. Be sure to provide a ride report so we can learn from your experience.
  16. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah.. It is great to see bikes in action on the TAT. How many miles where you guys covering per day?
  17. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Frank: It's about time you got on with this report... we were 4 days behind you and I've had my RR done for weeks now! :lol3 We snapped this shot after signing in on 9/14 at Swazey Cabin... it was comforting to see a familiar signature dated 9/10 when we were out there in the remote:

[​IMG]
  18. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Hi X !
    I'd say about 200 on average. Some days 180, some 225. We'd always easily arrive at our nightly stops between 3-4pm. With pleany of time for laundry, maintence and a beer or 2 !
  19. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    DOC !! I so glad you pinged in ! I was wondering what happened to ya. I never saw your report and I was looking. Please send me a link to it brother !!! ASAP ! I want to hear all about it ! :clap

Good photo of the log too btw. Kinda cool we were just a few days apart :clap
  20. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    For the next state on the Trans America Trail

[​IMG]