Iceland Map

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Alaska & Canada' started by uberhada, Sep 3, 2008.

1. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    I loaded up the Iceland map from http://www.ourfootprints.de/gps/mapsource-island_e.html into MapSource, and the map looks distorted (image below) I thought Iceland was taller than that :scratch

I have a message in to the webmaster there, but have no heard anything back yet.

Does anyone have experience with this map, or know if I need to change some setting in MapSource?

Attached Files:

2. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Might simply be the way mapsource projects the image on the screen .. 1 degree in either direction being a square? Try it. If so - than as you get closer to the poles the distortion becomes large...

And your peception of tall vs wide for Iceland comes from where ? Maybe that is distorted too... All a question of projection .. I'll just go look at a globe for reality check .. well a little squashed ... but not more than could be explaind by different projections .. maybe your are thinking of Greenland? That is a bit more triangular...
  3. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank,
    There's a good chance the projection in mynd is distorted yes :lol3 but I figured it would be proportioned like on the googlemaps -

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=65.293468,-18.522949&spn=6.855931,20.588379&z=6

So I drew out a 100km distance each direction using the measure tool in MapSource (image below), it thinks that yellow rectangle is equally 100km on each side. :scratch

It doesnt do that when I have other maps loaded, so Im confused.
    I will try installing it on the GPS to see if it looks right.

Attached Files:

4. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I think I get what youre saying with the degrees, Im dense.
    I guess Ive never seen a map this far north on the software, still seems odd to me.
  5. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The map looks fine once it's loaded into the unit, proportions look as I would expect. Dont know what the deal is with MapSource.

Awesome map, lots of POI's, topo as well.
    Much thanks to the folks at http://www.ourfootprints.de.
    I hope to use this soon :D
  6. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    It is. It is a bit wider than it is tall, but other than some angled shorelines, its almost square.
  7. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Think about a paper map that has lat/long degrees all the same scale - say 10 degrees = 1 inch .. when you get to the north/south pole .. it will be 360 degrees = 36 inches long .. but it is only one point on the earths surface .. lots of distortion at those edges!

Just the 'easy' way mapsource deals with the map data .. KISS ... not usually a problem .. as most as around the equator, and most zoom in ..
  8. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Frank,
    Just got back from Japan, and getting to this now.
    I had checked it out by degree as you suggested, then it made sense.

Also, heard back from Tom at http://www.ourfootprints.de, he confirmed the distortion from the map projection and attributed it to a recent MapSource update. And that it should look and work normally on the unit itself.
    It looks normal in the unit and Im going to go try it out next week.

That is what I thought, and although the distorted projection makes sense when converting a spherical 3D map into a flat one, it doesnt help when youre actually on that surface moving around, you'd prefer the grids be straight around you and the pinched ends be somewhere else.

Anyone want to recommend some sites, or must see's?
    Itll be late Sept - Nov, that limits some things a bit.
  9. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The map worked great, and we were able to check it along side a Nuvi that had the Ísland Kort loaded, until the Nuvi was stolen :eek1
    From there we relied on the ourfootprints.de map solely to get around, no auto-routing, but accurate and lots of poi's built in, it did the job.

Beautiful country, I will definitely go back when things are better.

-Steve
  10. G B

G B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you use MapSource 6.14.1 the Island map will by distorted, but if you use MapSource 6.13.7 or older the Island map is OK. I had to change back from 6,14,1 to 6,13,7 because of this.
  11. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey G B, did it seem like you lost any functionality going back to 6,13,7?

I was just reading one of your other threads, hope your collarbone is mended,
    and I will be interested to hear how the shipping of your bike went.

-Steve
  12. G B

G B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going back to 6,13,7 you lose the possibility of "user specified colors for routes" that is in 6,14,1 you can have a map that show track for example 4 days ride and for every day the track has a different color. Very smart but the map must look right so I changed back to 6,13,7.

The collarbone is better but far from OK and the bike will by back in Reykjavik beginning of December. Eimskip a Icelandic transport company will transport the bike.
  13. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Bugger ! (about the loss) (GB - my collar bone was a simple brake - fixed up fine .. hope yours goes as well)

Good that the map worked well.

-----------------------
    I'm using 6.13 at home - that showes the 'distortion'. As it is simply a projection 'problem' I'm not worried by it. No matter what projection they chose to use there will be distortion somewhere.. and that particular projection does mean navigation by compass is simple.

Not tried it on the GPS it self - as I have 60Cx (small screen) I don't think any distortion will be evident (zoomed in too far for it to show).
  14. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya, losing the Nuvi was a bummer, a bit of carelessness on someones part :(:
    We all chipped in for a new one for our freind, and on the bright side- we had some fun running around to price compare in a bunch of stores and shops. Not to forget, we had the other GPS as backup.

So I installed 6,13,7 on another computer that Im switching to, and the map looks proportional, so I have the luxury of running both for now.
    Not to make any more fuss about the projection, I realize it is correct and not really a 'problem' or 'distortion', but IMO it is easier to use when the dimensions are 1:1.
    No offence to any cartographers out there :beer

GB - Thanks for the tip, and the info about Eimskip. Hope you're well and riding again soon.
  15. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the map, and looking in my Garmin Zumo 550, I see the file
    gmapsupp.img, but it is not in the Garmin folder, but outside of it.

Do I need to move it into the Garmin folder in the Zumo?

z
  16. uberhada

uberhada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I'm a little fuzzy on how this procedure went as this was quite some time ago.
    I remember there were a few different install methods.

Unfortunately, the computer I was using for all of this crapped out, so I can't review the procedure.

I had this running on my 76csx, not familiar with the Zumo550 though.
    Maybe another inmate knows more about loading the Zumo