"6th Sense" Awareness

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by tortoise2, May 3, 2013.

1. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just another example of how riding experience can make a "life or death" difference!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FyG_fGpNgmU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    That is a excellent post/video,was that done by you or did you find and post?I was riding in a memorial procession for some Cal Trans workers near Redding,CA yesterday,it was on the freeway and I finally got out cause it was going from 70mph to almost stopped regularly,I was watching behind me but shit happens quick.
  3. Nd2Roam

Nd2Roam Charleston, WV

Oddometer:
    Just wow! I wonder, were the motorcyclists pulled to the side to observe the funeral cars? Was the car stopped for that reason or afraid to pass the cyclists? ... just wow!
  4. tortoise2

Oddometer:
    Yes
  5. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Well than good for you for finding and posting,thanks again
  6. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks!
  7. hayasakiman

hayasakiman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't tell me that driver in pickup was "texting",,,,,,,,,,
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Lucky you didn't end up on the other side being taking along to the grave yard. Wow .
  9. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez, that MORON in the truck. That happens quite a bit around here on our urban freeways, where traffic goes from 70 mph to a dead stop in just a few seconds. If you are not paying attention, you WILL crash into the vehicle in front of you. There have been 10 car pileups because of this. I stay off these roads during rush hour, it's a lot safer (and probably faster) to take surface streets. I still think anyone caught using a cell phone should be arrested for DUI. It has actually been proven to be MORE dangerous than being drunk.

You do develop a "6th sense" after riding for a long time, spotting possible problems and reacting to them before they happen, if they happen. Better to be ready than not. But that truck came up from behind so fast it is unlikely anyone would have been able to respond in time. As for the vehicle it hit, they had nowhere to go anyway. I don't know why the bikes were on the shoulder, but it sure was a good thing they were.
  10. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. If not DUI, ship their sorry butts to GITMO.
  11. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had similar things happen to me on 285 in Atlanta. When things bottleneck, I move to the edge of my lane and as soon as I'm sure I'll get stopped in time, I'm glued to my mirrors. At the first hint that someone can't get stopped, I lane-split at least 2 cars ahead. Screeching tires behind me mean I'm going to donate my portion of the road and use the space between lanes to put a couple of 2-ton hunks of metal between me and what's going on behind. One time I got stopped at the edge of my lane and before I could look in the mirrors a stoner in an old Buick slid up next to me about 6 inches from the car ahead. His eyes were wide open and he didn't even acknowledge I was there. He never looked to the side or in the mirrors. When things got moving, he just drove off still frozen in the same posture as when he stopped.
  12. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a 6th sense just sense. Thank you for this. When I am turning left on the rural road that leads to my house I often get right on the line in the middle of the road or in the passing lane before executing the turn. Man that took me by surprise in your video.
  13. Gener

Gener Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few similar incidents; so far I've been in the right place to avoid trouble. Not so lucky for the Nissan; could have been very bad for you and not so good for the Bikes on the shoulder. Glad you came out unscathed.
  14. tortoise2

Oddometer:
    Reiterating . . NOT my video!
  15. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Some guy posted this on youtube from the city near where I live. Show the opistie of 6h sense awareness. Bus take him out and he lives. no pants, no coat just gloves and helmet. He pop for a go pro 2 days before but not the riding gear. You can see the people finishing going through the crosswalk. Hear the beeping which mean the walk sign is still going so I thinking he #$() up. Just lucky. Missed a steel traffic sign. Missed getting pinned by the bus. It's going to be interesting because most downtown buses here have there own video cam. I could be wrong about it being a miss judgement on this guys part. One thing I do know is that ICBC( government insurance where I live ) is going to take the video and use it so they don't pay out . At least he doesn't have to worry about med bills in BC canada. Myself I would have just complete the turn once it hit red because your allowed to do that if your sitting waiting for the light . By thiis I mean you ever already out in the street . Just not worth the risk of a bus running a red light here because bus drivers don't have to pay a fine if they do it here. Worst thing is they have to sitting in a room getting reprimanded and getting paided at the same time .

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GQlm9VnPjFs?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  16. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    He landed on the grate!:huh:eek1
  17. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nature's rules of the road:
    Regardless of what the lights and turn arrows say, if it's going to hurt me more than it hurts you when we collide, you have the right of way.
  18. alphaBETAdog

alphaBETAdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's hope that text message went through. It must have been a very important text, like they all are.
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    On the water, that's known as the Rule of Displacement (aka BIG boat eats little boat)... same thing applies on land, as far as I'm concerned. If not "hurt," I consider "who has more to lose?"

Captain Jim
  20. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't tell if the bus was moving or not, but it sure looks like he turned right into it. Probably a new rider who had no idea how to control the scooter, and just lost it in the turn. I saw a sport bike rider go down hard once (I believe he was wearing full gear) when he made a left turn at an intersection, turned to wide, and just clipped the curb. The curb was right in front of a parking lot. I pulled into the parking lot and ran over to where he was. He was conscious and appeared to be ok. I did not have a cell phone at the time, but several people quickly showed up, and it seems like the cops were there within a couple minutes. Bike looked totaled. Early GSXR.