Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Old White Truck

Old White Truck Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi fedswith,

I don't have an XT250 but I find them intriguing.

I am curious; why are they annoying to work on? They look pretty simple.

Thanks,
  2. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:

I don't have my XT250 any more, but I suspect that fedswitch and I probably disliked working on the XT for the same reasons. The frame is so compact, it's very difficult to get my hands down into things easily. My CX500 was just as bad with the carb/airbox assemblies, but everything else was easier to get to. My KLR650 is easier to work on than the XT250 was... not by a ton, but definitely noticeable.

Regarding the weight/power/gearbox differences between the 225 and the 250, I think it's mostly trivial. There are a number of riders that moved from the 225 to the 250, and they generally say that the gearing differences make the 2 bikes close enough that the power/gear ranges are very close, and while the 250 is a little heavier, I think that they both carry the weight low enough that it's negligible for all but the smallest rider.

For some reason, many people seem to think that the XT225 was inches shorter than the 250; I never understood that, they are both 31.9" according to Yamaha.
  3. fedswith

fedswith fedswith

Oddometer:
    The xt250 is a great bike, thats just me being very picky..

I just found it takes longer to get to things like the air filter, you need some tools to get the seat off and screw driver to get to the filter, my wr450f's air filter is accessible without the need for any tools or the removal of the seat.

But put it in prospective, how often will you need to get to the air filter and the like..?? Not that often!! For a simple bike there could be a few design changers to make it ' simpler ' but it's all good, when your riding down some tracks who really cares. Not me.. :clap
  4. blue dog

blue dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im going to look at a 2013 XT250 today. Is there any way to replace the 2 piece front fender with a regluar fender?
  5. sandalscout

Oddometer:
  6. lonewolf97

lonewolf97 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 2009. Xt 250 with 650 miles. One owner for my daughter
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats lonewolf, how does she like it?
  8. lonewolf97

lonewolf97 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We both like it. I've been riding my 97 Dr 650 since I bought it new. She has been riding an xr100 for 6 yrs. Trail riding with me. Now she has her motorcycle permit and a dual sport to hang with her dad. Won't need the trailer now. Looking for a skid plate and hand guards for it. The bike is stock just like it came out of the showroom.
  9. FLYNLOMOTO

FLYNLOMOTO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Great bike for so many reasons....other than big jumps and lots of mud, this bike can do everything.

:clap
  10. dynex619

dynex619 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013, I love it despite its odd little things about it. The shift linkage is a 2 piece so no luck for aftermarket support. Efi doesnt have any mods out. No pipes out for it besides FMF.

I got to say though it's taken a beating from me Ive got 650 miles on mine already through a month or so and dropped her times and she has been used on icy frozen days of 25deg and no problems starting ever.:clap
  11. lonewolf97

lonewolf97 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pro cycle has a page for xt 225 parts but not for the xt 250.
    Will the skid plate and handlebar protectors fit both?
  12. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    The handguards are "universal" and will fit both bikes. Make sure you get the right sizes guards for your handlebars, both are 7/8" stock.

The skidplate is different between the two models. You may be able to make it fit, but it looks like it is a Richochet skidplate, and they make one for the 250 already that is really nice. I had one and liked it a lot.
  13. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the XT; I sure love my dad for the dirt bikes he bought me waaaayy back in the day. Course I had a bike so I could get the cows to the barn and not be late milking, but still....

Anyhow, be sure to check out www.xt225.com; lots of good info for the 225 and 250. You two enjoy.

Sarah
  14. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a skid plate on my xt250 from a WR250R, it fit perfectly, all i had to do was drill out 4 new mounting holes.

But check ebay, theres a few xt250 specific skid plates for around 100 bucks shipped, turbocity makes the best one, with side guards and brake guard, for around 250 i think, but it looks like its worth every penny.
  15. Hans_Krugger

Hans_Krugger Rock Jock

Oddometer:
    on an interflurviate ridge in the Interior Lowland
    Lonewolf- outstanding form to get your daughter an XT. I like to see fathers invest time in thier daughters. She looks like a very happy girl.:nod
  16. lonewolf97

lonewolf97 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both my daughters are away at college most of the year.
    They have other interest and don't spend much time with mom and dad.
    The xt will stay at home. K will be riding with me when she is home, at least
    For a couple more yrs. Not ready to turn her loose in traffic alone just yet.
    She likes trail riding as much as I do too.
  17. Roadrunner

Roadrunner -Negativus Supersonicus-

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!

The skidplate will add weight, also. That is why I've chosen not to get it.
  18. lonewolf97

lonewolf97 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the wheels muddy on the 2009 xt for it's first time. It had never been offroad. Where we ride rocks can be a problem. A rock thru the bottom of the engine case or a broken clutch lever would ruin a good day AF riding. Not to mention getting the bike back down to a road.
    Johnston County still site. Mash barrels with axe holes in them.
    [​IMG]
    Natahala ride a couple years ago
    [​IMG]
    Water crossing near the still on my Dr
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  19. mwalker

mwalker mike

Oddometer:
    When I drop my 2012 gas gushes from the gas cap. Is there something wrong with the cap or do I not have it on correctly? Whats the deal I can't have that.
  20. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Mine did the same thing, it's because it's not a real off-road style cap.

ZETA makes a new cap to fit the DRZ-400 that will convert it from a locking street bike style to an offroad setup with check valve. I THINK that it's been tested on the XT225, and should work on the 250 also. There was discussion of this on the XT225 site a long while back.