Helinox Chair One Review by a Big Man

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mr. Fisherman, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Gregg Evans, Formerly of Full Throttle Camping. He and his lovely wife were set up as venders at the Stanley Stomp. Gregg has separated from his former partner and is getting his new business, Greggs A-List, off the ground.

Among other products, Gregg had Helinox chairs and there were a couple set up to try as demos. Now, I am not a small guy and I did not want to mail order one of these chairs only to be disappointed by breaking it with my generous self. I asked if I could sit in one expecting a questionable response, but he said sure, no problem. So I tried it and surprise!, not only did it hold me but it was comfortable... And I thought it would be hard to get up from, but it wasn't bad at all.

Now, I am on my second Kermit chair... The Wide or Big Boy chair and I love it... but I have had to make a couple repairs and it has a hard time staying together. They are going to make it right but I couldn't be without a chair while I send it in. Problem solved.

I bought the Helinox Chair One from Greggs A-List. You can too without having to catch him at an event by visiting: www.squareup.com/market/<wbr>greggs-a-list

The Helinox Chair One is backed by a lifetime replacement guarantee just like the Kermit. The chair is $89.95 which seems expensive until you realize that this chair weighs only 2 pounds and packs up very small Packed size is 14"X4"x5" and is rated to 320 pounds.

The more I use it the more I like it. I have thoroughly tested it on uneven terrain, hills and with my full weight on it. I have NOT taken it easy on this chair.... I was hoping that if I was going to be able to make it fail I would do it right then and there so I wouldn't have to ship it... but it just keeps standing up.

The seat does not dig into my legs or shoulders and I really enjoy the rocking action better than a rigid chair. At first this was a bit discerning, but now I really like it.

Here are a few load testing pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full weight, no problem..

[​IMG]

Compare to a more normal size sitter...
    [​IMG]

I also discovered a few un-documented features...
    The stuff sack doubles as a handy cooler, easily holding a few cold beverages and ice.

My coffee cup hangs off the seat by the handle... no need for a cup holder.

So there you have it.... The Helinox Chair One is Fisherman abuse tested and it passed.

If you are in the market please give Greggs A-List a try... you will be glad you did and tell him I sent you. He and his wife are great people and I believe they will offer you the same great service and support after the sale that they did me. www.squareup.com/market/<wbr>greggs-a-list

You can also check them out on Facebook and give them a like to keep posted on their products and services...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greggs-A-List/147823531954

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps those who like me were on the fence about getting one of these chairs.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. FTCgregg

FTCgregg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great review of the Helinox Chair One, Fisherman! :D

Thanks for hanging out at my booth at the Stomp - Maria and I really enjoyed your company! :freaky
  3. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great review. I got one of these chairs for Father's Day from my family. Finally got to try it out this week and am loving it! Easy and quick setup, comfy and stable. I didn't realize that you could attach the carry bag to the frame though! I'll have to check out how to do this!
  4. saito

saito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got one of these, loving it!:clap
  5. Isorg

Isorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap good review! and as a fellow "fluffy" man, i appreciate this.
  6. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Good review

thanks Fishy

:thumb
  7. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    It couldn't be easier. Just slip each end loop over the lower seat stay before putting the sling cover on the frame. Maybe I'll make a video... Also, Gregg showed me a trick to make it fit into the bag quick and easy every time. I'll get to that too.
  8. majorhavoc

majorhavoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too am an enthusiastic Helinox convert. While there is a little less of me to love than OP, I am sufficiently portly that I was concerned about the 250 lb weight limits of most ultralightweight camping chairs in this class.

I don't quite exceed that limit, but I'm close enough to worry that if I get a little too enthusiastic relating a fireside story after a heavy meal (which tends to happen after 2 or 3 well-deserved post-ride brewskis), I might exceed other chairs' design capacity.

The truth is, the Helinox is about a half a pound heavier than the competition in the four-legged folding camping chair segment ahem<Alite Mantis>ahem. In exchange for that extra half a pound, you get another 70 lbs of weight capacity and a slightly larger, more supportive seating area.

Maybe that's just me rationalizing my own purchase decision, but by any standard the Helinox is a commendably lightweight, compact seating solution. And it's damn comfortable after a long day on the saddle.
  9. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Amazing! The spindly little legs on that chair don't look like they would support the weight. If it holds up I'll buy one next spring when hopefully the price will come down to a more reasonable level.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Great review..
  11. HappyRiding

HappyRiding Appalachian American lost up Nort

Oddometer:
    I have been using my Helinox chair for over a year now and I love it. I have taken many naps in it and passed many Mason Jars while sitting in my chair. The only glitch was having one of its feet come off when it sank down in sticky clay. The foot was recovered and stuck back on. I use kickstand pucks under the back feet in mud now to prevent that from happening again.

I LOVE my chair!
  12. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can always do the Sidetrack mod!:evil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just an extra 190 grams and all fits in the standard carry bag

[​IMG]
    Joeyjoejoe and Dan Diego like this.
  13. MacG

MacG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice review,thanks :beer

Great idea sidetrack :thumb
  14. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I am considering one of these, it appears low, is it at all difficult to get out of the chair?
  15. FTCgregg

FTCgregg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to break the news to you, but the price will go UP next year - to $99.95 - not down. That's already a done-deal. The MSRP and the wholesale price to dealers for Spring '14 already went up. As a dealer, I'm not any happier about it than you are. All I can do is remind myself that BMW riders have been shelling out substantially more than $100 per Kermit chair for years, so the Helinox's price tag is relatively reasonable.
  16. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    What's the orange tubing is it PVC conduit? Does it fit in the bag?
  17. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    That's more than I'm willing to spend for a chair. Wish you luck in selling a bunch of them. I'll continue using cheap Walmart chairs.

How does that old saying go???? You can sell a lot of pencils for $.10 each and make a profit, but sometimes it's easier to sell just a few pencils for $10 each.

18. JeffreyD

JeffreyD n00b

Oddometer:
    You can get a red or green helinox chair for 71.96 (free shipping too) from campsaver.com. I'm not sure how long the sale is on.
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:

would you mind to share which particular cheap walmart chair you are talking about please?
  20. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes and yes! These are really taking off here in Australia, once you went to a rally and it was all the Kermit chairs lined up, now its Helinox's:clap:clap