An R65 followed me home

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Voltaire, May 23, 2012.

1. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Well there is was on Trade Me looking for a new home....
    Add said it had low compression on one cylinder....probably inlet valve or rings he said...well actually thats what the guy who was going to buy it said the week before.
    [​IMG]
    but it had a WOF, good tyres, new battery, sidecovers and a full tank of gas.....
    I hit the buy it now for $1100.00.
    Picked it up at 5 today...he ran it and it shock and sounded rough as....oh well.....something to play with.
    I put it on the bike stand and went and had dinner.....in about 5 minutes flat.....:rofl
    I thought I'd start with the tappets and move on to the carbs.....
    Well the exhaust on the LH cylinder had no clearance at all....and the RH was not much better....so did the lot.
    Went for a ride around the block , found the LH carb was well out of sync... and the idle was all over the place.
    Se the carbs up, put my gear on and went for a ride..... runs pretty good for a tuned in an hour in semi darkness, ran it down the motorway up to 120 kmph...runs fine.
    Way more get up and go than my old r50/5 and the seat is very comfy.
    So 4 hours after buying it I have a nice running bike with a WOF, new battery, good tyres and a tank of gas...whoo hoo.
    Only bad bits I can see is the mufflers don't look like they are right and rattle....
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    No wonder you hit buy now.

I have just had a sudden insight that you must surely be of doubtful parentage...:lol3 You did bloody well there.
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    great buying

what year and km's?

I hear that its easy to spend to much on one of these 65's and then have trouble getting your money back but you can't lose at $1100

betcha that lecky in Nelswine is green with envy
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    pah where's the street cred with that tho? Bloody red bloody clean looking bloody boring bike even got bloody bloody driving lites
    I don't care sob...

Look at him with his two exhaust pipes showing them off sob... evryone knows two exhausts is just showing off boohoohoo...
  5. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Regarding the Burt Munroe you were talking about somewhere. I have always thought about going however the weather is usually diabolical that time of year down there for some reason.
    If I was to get Berlina up & racing I would like to have a go at the hill climb anyway.

Whatcha gonna do with the R65? part it out like most of them? cafe? Race? chopper? Sell it to marks so he too can be cool? oh the endless possibilities
  6. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Rode the R65 to work this morning in the grueling Auckland traffic...:rofl
    Plenty of commuter HP there....more than the Yamaha 200 I usually use....:eek1
    Plans.... get it running as best as it can and just ride it....no cafe, bobbing, ratting, parting out.
    Still a bit rough off idle...hope this is a tuning issue and not burnt valve...may need to do a comp test in the weekend.
    Took me ages to work out how to turn on the headlights....:huh
    it shows 95k on the odo... its now even registered.
    whos good for third party? I have my other modern with Kiwibike.
    I hope someone buys my Thruxton soon...free up some cash for other projects..sigh...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=478163170
    [​IMG]
  7. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Pity to get rid of the Thruxy. They are one of the best looking modern bikes around in my opinion - those & the Moto Guzzi v7. The Guzzis are very small tho when you sit on them.

Anyway. Do you know if the forks are interchangeable between 65s & normal Rs? if I get the mono frame i'm unsure if the steering stem would fit from the 65. What would you imagine the difference being as you seem top have a better eye for detail. I will check with my GS but not sure if the steerer is the same between GS's & R's.
  8. BEAMER89

BEAMER89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    l do have some GS forks to go wif the Mono frame if thats what you'd like:evil
  9. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Away with you, you smooth talker :lol3

Since you're there do you knwo if the 65 forks fit on the mono frame?
  10. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    How about a delicious "before and after" to get minds and pulses racing?

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
  11. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Thruxty is a nice bike, but I need to fund other stuff...and the R65 would appear to be a good daily rider.
    R65 forks are I think shorter and the axle is located differently....the triple clamps are different ( as in better).
    Hey Beamer 89....whats the go with the r75 you got from the West Coast....going to make a racer....:D
  12. BEAMER89

BEAMER89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fuck thats cool

SHHH dont tell the wiffey she'll kill me :lol3 l had room for 1 more bike and l liked the vapour speedo/tacho/trip computer :eek1
  13. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Now, just to get in on the current R65 mania - who has a 65 engine hanging around? Wanna swap for my R80 (G/S, I believe) engine I have hanging around?
  14. BEAMER89

BEAMER89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    l may have a 87 mono shock 650 motor for sale :evil but its in Chch though
  15. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    how could you sob:cry....pull a poor...sob:cry...r65...to bits......:cry....gonna build a kwel GS out of it now...?

[​IMG] So where is this room you found...is it like the Tardis?:roflHow 'bout some better pics....just wait till the missus goes out...

Rode to work again today on R65 ( needs a name) took the motorway route for the first time ever, Mt Roskill, Manukau City , then back up SH1 and off at Highbrook.....only 20 minutes instead of 30...... Only thing I don't like is the heavy throttle...its probably worn...I don't like the geared mechanism a solution looking for a problem.....
    Did a comp test last night with carbs open 150 psi ish on both cylinders......so far so good. Its got plenty of oomph for a 650 and nips in and out like Ronald Biggs...
  16. BEAMER89

BEAMER89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just think of it as recycling :wink:
    At least lve kept probably 10 or more other BMW;s on the road:clap
  17. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Is that a route sheet roller on on a bike with a 10L tank? Are they going on a very short rallye?
    front disc brake cover looks naf. Puny rear springs.
    Fuel injection or Delorttos?
    I like the black wheels, spare rocker cover & tool bag tho.
    This bike looks like it was made to sit in a department store next to the adv range of clothing.

Also after sitting on a R65 I am amazed how low they sit. It would be interesting to see the rear suspension setup on a converted 65 in real life to get a better idea of what can be done.
  18. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WdAv-L1QmEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wasn't expecting much but this exhaust sounds really nice:ear
  19. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I can't work out how to post a vid..click on the pic to see vid.
    I have some Norton Peashooter on my Watch list.....:roflThe pipe diameter must be unique to R65's...I like the r100 bodged mufflers.....made up some spacers to keep the noise in..:lol3
  20. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    :dunno Looks like it&#8217;s being ridden. Carbs are Keihin FCR I believe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]