West Coast Iron butt

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rgroenke, May 20, 2013.

1. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    Hi there folks.....So ive decided to go ride...no solid plans but to ride and take pictures and enjoy the sites. I am starting in Los Angeles and headed north, maybe zig zagg my up through the national parks and up to washington, then cutting East for a couple states and working my way south. I am leaving in couple weeks.(bike is going to the doctors) If there is anyone who has the time and would like to run with me please do so. Like I said I have no solid route other than to RIDE!!!!!!!! Hope to hear from some of you ....If anyone wants to ride Ill take any and all sugestions on itinerary.
  2. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving sometime next week. I've sorta made some destinations...leaving from Santa Clarita ca, riding to Vegas ..from there ill be hitting the Grand Canyon, riding through and around Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and that's about how far I've made it on planning this trip of mine. As of now im still riding alone, just me and my bike.
  3. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    Why has know body posted or even the slightest interest.....i know i have a bad ass bike, but ill go slow..c'mon lets ride
  4. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    To funny. Wow That's all i can say right now. Thought this was where the riders would be.
  5. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Part of the apprehension people might have to signing on with your ride is you have no history on the forum, we don't know who you are or how you ride. What you ride, what kind of rider you are etc.

There are plenty of riders here but like myself most of us like taking trips (long ones) with people we at least know either through the forum or in person from riding together or attending rally's etc.

Just my .02

Good luck on your trip, have a great ride.
  6. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:
    and maybe because you used Iron Butt in your thread title, and some people aren't interested in Iron Butt rides, and those that are realized that your trip had nothing to do with those sorts of rides :dunno
  7. nakedwaterskier

nakedwaterskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <table class="ygrp-tabbed-container" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height:48px;"><td style="background-color:#ffffff"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding-top:7px">SoCal and Central Coast Ride June 1, 2 </td> <td rowspan="2" style="padding-left:15px; vertical-align:middle; text-align:right;" nowrap="nowrap">
    <form method="get" action="/group/DSN_KLR650/post"> </form> ​
    </td> </tr> <tr><td><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td> <table id="y-vcard" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="msg-newfont" style="vertical-align: middle;" nowrap="nowrap">Posted By:</td> <td class="yid-nakedwaterskier yid-data" style="padding-left:3px; vertical-align: middle;" data-item="nakedwaterskier@1369391140" nowrap="nowrap">

</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;" nowrap="nowrap"> Fri May 24, 2013 10:25 am | </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td style="vertical-align:middle; padding-left: 5px; padding-top: 3px;">
    • Options

</td></tr></tbody></table></td> </tr> </tbody></table>

</td></tr> <tr style="background-color:#ffffff"> <td class="msg content user first"> Foxen Cyn street portion
    Kerry Cyn dirt prtion
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  8. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    Good point there, yes you dont know who i am, and im new on the forums....My name is Richard Groenke, most call me Rich. I was out on the Death Valley NooB ride. Had such a blast I eneded up staying out there for 13 days,....Im riding on a 2012 ktm 990, as in the name "West Coast Iron butt" just saying im putting in some miles.....no 1000 miles in 24 hours. Its more of a leisure ride, see the sights, I will be packing xtra tires, tubes.ect.and my plan of attack is to ride to vegas(family, personal) from there Grand Canyon, utah(zion,bryce,gobblin valley, moab) colorado,wyoming,montanna,idaho,oregon, maybe throw washington in the mix but then back down through cali.(home) Be cool to meet somewhere along the way. Ill be doing mostly camp i love dirt but i see a lot of paved on this trip.
  9. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    So my bike is set and ready..Arizona Monday or Tuesday then up to Utah by Wednesday
  10. bmore_blintz

bmore_blintz Ride Three

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have met up and logged a few miles, rgroenke. Your trip is just a little before my first cross country ride. I'll be riding from DC to San Diego via a quite indirect route that'll take me through Chicago, about 600 miles of heartland, The Badlands, Little Bighorn, Yosemite and who knows what other detours. I'll try to post trip reports when able along the route. if you feel like meeting somewhere for the last leg, I'm not one to turn down the company. Two wheels are great, a couple pair of them rolling together is the power of shared experience.

Hope the ride is going well
  11. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    hey all im on a ipad wish i could post some pics....so ive gone through nevada and arizona..a cool camp ground off the 66 in the southern part is a "town" place called Grand Canyon caverns wayy cool...went through zion..yayy..im now around cedar city. was told of this lil place sometimes it shows on maps and sometimes no but is call Three Peaks National Rec area.. Its BLM land so u can camp anywhere and the trails are AWESOME theres almost no soft deep sand, hard packed and gravel..if you hve a gps it should pick it up if you t ype it in. today is a mellow ride 0ver 300 yesterday. theres a town bbq in brian head then Bryce Canyon.. maybe want to set camp b4 dark tonight so on that till the next time

happy riding,,,,ride safe
  12. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    so today i took it easy..Went to Briean Head and what i have found is that there is a ATV trail that runs along the side that was a blast few technical spots but if i can do it...you can do it haha then dixie INF has A LOT of trail old logging roads that lead to some really cool places, like underground lava tubes...Tomorrow Im headed to moab and i will be there for a couple days i think playing..have fun ride safe
  13. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    So ive been in moab for a few days now...hot as piss but awesome. Ran into couple adv folks so far in my journeys. Couple places for mind....escalante outfitters has wonderful food. Obvisiously in Escalante Utah. For in moab any repairs i like arrowhead motors ports The old guy is pretty cool..also moab Powersports has awesome prices for equipment and rentals and the folk there are wayyyyy friendly. Good folks there . Im here in moab till Tuesday then continuing north and on to Colorado From there im going to maybe try and link up on TAT to Oregon Safe riding
  14. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    so im going to hit wyoming before colorado unless theres a good start point .....im going for an official 1000 miles in a 24 hr period any suggestions for start point and can this be done on any part of TAT from colorado to washington, oregon i know i can do it im a good rider have many years riding on my ass, but can or has this been done before on un pavedim in moab foor another day at least maybe two so get back please oh btw Moab is sick watch the sand dunes sand pits on most trails and devils revenge yikes on a 990....over all though everyone has been and is super friendly oh the brewery has real bear for sale ... even on sunday
  15. tommy_s

tommy_s wearin' tires

Oddometer:
    Don't fall asleep while you're riding. Watch out for deer, elk, jakalope up that way.

How long you plan on staying on the road for?

Thinking of heading north in August.

Thread is weak w/o pics.
  16. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    I agree. The thread is weak without pics. I have so many pictures and video (two gopro) and i honestly dont know how to get pictures on the thread with my ipad.... Any ways. Rode 9 mile canyon Awesome road. In vernal Utah visiting w some friends before i head out. Still not sure on the direction i want to go Also i have coordinates for a really really awesome ride to a cave..a real cave
  17. tommy_s

tommy_s wearin' tires

Oddometer:
    Nice, well look forward to your pics. If you feel like staying on the road until August I plan on heading north to Idaho. Probably hit up Yellowstone and Grand Tetons on the way. Keep this thread updated, and learn how to add some pictures. You'll have to make a thread for the main forum later, you're on an epic adventure. :freaky

rubber side down.
    ts
  18. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
  19. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    I have figured out how to get pictures on here. ... Wayyyy more to come soon
  20. rgroenke

rgroenke RustyToeNails

Oddometer:
    In keystone. Had a HUGE elk jump in front of me Tried getting the photo but my gopro is acting up. Ill say for 300$ they r POS. im relaxing in keystone. It's nice at 10,000 ft. Its beautiful