Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Can someone throw up photos of how the stock air filter is put together?

Thanks,
  2. DualDog

DualDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted over on the flee market that I am selling Bridgestone Trailwing TW302 rear tires in size 4.10-18 for $67.50 or shipped to your door for $75 each. If anybody is interested in one or more than one, let me know. These should fit the rear of the Super Sherpa. They are brand new and never mounted. Still have tags on them.
  3. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Hello everyone! My wife claims I tricked her on a 150 mile ride we did as to how long it was going to be. Probably did! Result is that she will not go anywhere until she has a better seat. Can't really blame her.

Is Seat Concepts the only option, or are there others that I should look at? For those who have gone the Seat Concepts route, how did it work out for you?

Thanks in advance!
  4. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Get some padded bicycle shorts, form-fitting support plus padding.
  5. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Thought is free--WS

Oddometer:
    there is a plastic frame that slides inside this foam filter (wrench shows the open side)

then it just slides back in. (only fits one way)

I've got two foam filters, I put a fresh one in, then wash, dry and re-oil the one I pulled.

[​IMG]
  6. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo, ended up making one out of a foam blank. Getting closer to completion, just gotta stop breaking stuff on de-assembly :-)
  7. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock filter is coarse foam on one side, and fine foam on the other. Might actually make a difference to the filtering ability if your foam isn't like that.
  8. RoughRider

RoughRider elderly windbreaker

Oddometer:
    I've used an AirHawk Small Cruiser cushion on my dirt bikes for over 8 years. It works perfectly. I never leave a trailhead without it. :1drink

http://www.airhawk.com.au/product_details.php?product_category_id=28&product_id=45
  9. old-n-slow

old-n-slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a lot of cases, it's not the seat, it's the pants. For any long distance riding blue jeans are a definite no-no, and that goes for shorter rides, too. Before spending a bunch on seat works, get her some proper riding pants, and if she's up for them, some LD riding underpants, the IBA's favorite! They are spendy but for distance they're the best and will save you a bunch by not trying and buying every other type of shorts out there. The big problem with jeans is that they're made of cotton, which will stick to your skin and can also stick to the bike's seat. Proper riding pants don't stick anywhere and let you move around on the seat, eliminating pressure points and hot spots while you ride.

Hope this helps, and get her back out there!
  10. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    I appreciate the comments. I'm sure she'll be back out there. Changed oil and filter today on the Sherpa so we can all ride this weekend. Doubt that we'll do a lot of miles before.

We saw the airhawk at a bike shop and it looked interesting. She was worried about the extra height with that. Might not be a problem though, and we'll revisit it.

Agree on the underwear. I don't wear padded, or atleast not yet, but I use compression shorts on any ride that could go more than an hour. We'll follow up on that as well.

Hope everyone is getting the riding weather we're having in SW Missouri :)
  11. Many Thunders

Many Thunders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I totally disagree with most of what you have said, posted below, here. I am in the business of decorating and selling garments. Cotton does not stick, in fact, it absorbs moisture. Furthermore, in the event of an accident involving your skin, your clothing and high heat, whether in the form of ashphault burn or flames, cotton can be removed from your wounds. Whereas, any material containing polyester will fuse to your skin. This is why we can only sell 100 % cotton to offshore companies. We sell lots of "moisture wicking" sportsshirt for golf and athletics, which are designed to pull the moisture off of your skin and dry in the outer layers of the fabric to keep you cool. However, these fabrics do not work very well unless the outside humidity is below 70%. As for your undies? Stick with your personal preference. I wear my whitey-tighties, 100% cotton and I have never had a sticky problem, and I live in Texas where we ride in 100+ all the time.

Save your money on the clothing unless you are purchasing weather protection, or abrasion/crash protection. Or, perhaps you are riding professionally. Purchase the seat that is comfortable.

If sticking to the seat is a problem, consider the alternative. The WORST thing you can have is a slippery seat. NO? If you don't believe me, go Armourall your seat and go hit the dirt trails. Call me from the hospital.

Many Thunders

Spetsiot likes this.
  12. old-n-slow

Oddometer:
    Hello, Many Thunders! I have to disagree with your opinion but since my own experiences would be merely anecdotal, I ask that you take a look over at the IBA (Iron Butt Association) sites and read for yourself what the long riders say about cotton and distance. Since I've played that tune for many years, I'll rely on experience. :beer
  13. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    Spotted a super sherpa at a shop near powhtan Va the other day. The guy at the shop said a " experienced" rider had just bought it and he was checking it over for him. So is or was it any ones here?
  14. Rey & Vann

Rey & Vann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to disagree on the cotton pants as well...

I ran a 100 mile day on my Sherpa in jeans when I first got it. I had to stop at 75 miles, drop my pants and underwear for relief (was on remote logging roads, but probably would have blinded any passers-by). The jeans did absorb all of my sweat, and just kept it there. Frickin miserable.

Bought EVS armored underwear that has some kind of stretchy material that somehow keeps you dry, even while you sweat along with Klim pants. Tolerable... could do 200+ miles now.

Add Anti-Monkeybutt or Mexana powder and it gets better- much better.

Change seat to Seat Concepts... 600 miles, 1 day and could have kept going!

Their seat worked so well, got one for the 09 klr650 and the 09 klx250s as well. And I used to call the klx "my dominatrix" because all that stock seat did was try to KILL MY BUTT!!!!!

Seat Concepts transformed all 3 of these bikes. Worth the money! As is decent riding gear and corn starch and calamine based powders...

Rey

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
  15. Ripshod

Ripshod Prym8

Oddometer:
    i'll give another testimonial for Seat Concepts.

Like old-n-slo, I've found a good combination of pants and underwear to keep my butt happy. My other bike is a Honda ST1300 and I've put in lots of 600+ mile days in a row on it. My butt is not made of iron. I found that, for summer riding, Duluth Trading Buck Naked Boxer Briefs do a good job of keeping the floppy bits in place and offering excellent ventilation with no adhesion. In fact, they're so comfortable I swapped out all of my cotton boxers and now only wear the Buck Nakeds, and have found that their Free Range cotton variety makes for good winter wear. They make women's versions too.

But for the Sherpa, the seat upgrade was mandatory. No clothing would make my butt happy on the stock seat for more than 50 miles. Unlike old-n-slo, one big problem I had with the seat was that it's so slippery. The boys were being way too well acquainted with the gas tank every time I hit the brake. Seat concepts offers several different kinds of vinyl and I got the "Gripper" style for the top cover. Not my butt stays where I put it and I like it like that.

On a side note, they call one of their vinyl choices "carbon fiber style" or something like that. I am no fan of fake carbon fiber. It ain't fooling anyone, especially on a flexible surface. What they call carbon fiber turns out to be a finely-textured basket weave patterned embossed vinyl. Very acceptable. That's the finish on the side panels of my Seat Concepts saddle and it's not cheesy at all.

It all comes down to personal preference. It's your butt so it's up to you to find the right combination of clothing and seat to get through the miles. At $170, Seat Concepts is a lot cheaper than most other custom seat options (and there are few production upgrades available for our little guys) and for me, it's been the best mod for the buck.
  16. old-n-slow

Oddometer:
    No good deed goes unpunished. I ordered a rack for the Sherpa through Happy Trails, the simple tubular one, and when I took it out of the box it seemed to be exactly what I wanted, smaller and unobtrusive without looking like I was trying to haul a caribou on the thing. After multiple tries and following directions, trial fitting and pulling everything in the way off the bike, the rack just did not fit! The front mounts were way too wide, the through bolts coming nowhere near the bike's frame. I called Happy Trails and we went over the whole thing but it was just wrong. I sent it back and they were fine about it, no hassles from Happy Trails. But dang! I wanted that rack. Merry frickin' Christmas.
  17. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    I have 2009 that the head was starved for oil and really did some damage. The dealer replaced the top end . What is going on now is the oil turns black in less than 400 miles. I wonder if the head going bad damaged the cylinder,piston or rings ? Would doing a compression and leak down test tell me anything? All that metal from the head had to go somewhere .
  18. scootertooter

scootertooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have nothing but praise for the fit and finish of my Borrego rack from Turbo City (TCI). It is a nice platform.:D
  19. old-n-slow

Oddometer:
    The Borrego is a nice product, it's just way bigger than what I want. Now I'm thinking of just drilling a few holes in the top fender and attaching a small pouch or large tool bag to it. It's a small bike so I'm trying to keep the farkles in perspective.
  20. Rey & Vann

Rey & Vann Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Old-n-slow, I would try the HT rack again. It's designed to be used with their SU racks. Without the racks, spacers need to be used to fill the gaps. I bought a set of used SU racks from a fellow in AZ. he didn't include any of the hardware (nice guy, huh?), but since I decided I would use the top rack as well, I ordered new relocating tabs for the turn signals and the hardware set for the racks. It took some doing to get the whole unit on, and only had one capscrew that is too short to be useful. It stripped the first two threads of the hole because it was so short. No significant damage, but it was frustrating... The HT took some wrangling, vice and pinch bar work, but in the end, its a heck of a nice rack!

TCI also make really nice racks, don't know about for the Sherpa, but I have the rack for the KLR, fit and finish are top drawer.