F800GS goes to the track

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Gangplank, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so out here in Reno we have the SSA - SierraSportbikeridersAssociation... and they have track days.

It's cool. You can go and ride, don't need any special racing license. For $110 to $165 they put you in groups A, B or C. C being the slowest.

I rode out there to see what it was all about a month ago. Last weekend they had another track day so I rode out again to watch JetDocX ride around on his Aprillia Shiver and 1998 Tiger. :huh

Anyway, I know the guy who runs it and he said, Hey give me $25 and I'll let you ride the afternoon sessions. Umm... I don't have a jacket that will work. "you can use my old leathers..." Seriously? yeah and my boots he says. Paid my money and here we go.

Now before you make fun of me. It was my first time on the track and these photos are of my first session and all from turn one. So we start with my first lap and then maybe laps 1 through 5. The next two sessions in the after noon I got better and faster. Even scrapped a boot once which was cool. No I am not getting a knee down on the F8GS. By the 3rd session I was keeping up with the sport bikes in group C... I am now looking for a used track bike. Think I found one to use. :') gonna get to group B and then buy my own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Trackdays are cool. It's like being on your favorite twisty road, only there are no cagers, dogs, deer, or unexpected gravel.

And you've paid the ticket in advance (and no insurance surcharges!).

:ricky
  3. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    Good for you!
    You are now a self proclaimed track addict.
    Buy the track only bike, cuz when you drop it there
    will be way less guilt involved. Please don't ask me
    to explain further. Best just to keep the street/dirt
    bikes and the track bikes seperated.
    I am up to two track/race bikes and have more fun
    that should be allowed.

Keep it up, you are only going to get better.

Assfault
  4. antipode

antipode Wanderer

Oddometer:
    The F8 is fine on the track, just be careful about how much you lean or you can end up 'filing and reshaping' the centre stand like I did the last time.:clap

[​IMG]

And of course there is always the small matter of well used tires after the session :evil

[​IMG]

Have fun!
  5. been saved

been saved Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Uh oh, that's how it all starts.

First you'll tell yourself that you'll buy a decent bike to have fun and not spend a lot of money. Update us in a few years when all of a sudden thousands into suspension and other goodies seem like a very reasonable idea :deal

Seriously , having a dedicated track bike is a great idea. Pushing your limits is much easier if you don't have to worry about wadding up your street ride. Have fun!