Kazakhstan (Altai/Tuva) OSM Project 2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mikecbrxx, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the trip and pictures.
  2. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting, I have really enjoyed your report. I have a question regarding your Britania Comp headlight. I have read a few reports over turbulence/ buffeting/ wind noise creared by it and I thought your opinion would be valuable as you have done some miles with it.
    Cheers Phil
  3. mikecbrxx

mikecbrxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Phil

When I first fitted the unit I did get some buffeting at speeds 120+kph. However, that was in fairly strong winds anyway. We have changed the geometry on my bike so it suits me and now, unless the weather is bad or there are other contributing factors, I haven't noticed any buffering at all. However, I don't usually travel over 140kph....and then only to get to the good riding places :evil

As for noise....get better earplugs or turn the music up :deal
  4. mikecbrxx

Oddometer:

I'll try and post some more pics when I have time.....real busy at work atm. You can see loads more pics here in my Picassa album.

But to answer your questions, yes it was a 47 tooth sprocket and I did have a recess above the sprocket. (chain guard removed). Having said that, I had an early recess model. Several people had a problem and it has been re-designed to give more room. Erik repaired my X-Tank to the new spec.

As for what caused it.....go ride the 'main' road between Aktobe and Atyrau in Kazakhstan....try and stay on the road rather than take the side track, and ride fast enough to do the 650kms in a day. It would be easier to ride across a bombing range. :lol3
  5. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:
    Hi mikecbrxx

very helpful RR for me,
    thank you for the gpx file and the poi´s, i´m also planning a trip to mongolia and sibiria 2014 or 2015
  6. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply. After playing around with various screens on different bikes over the years I have gotten a bit anal over windscreen created noise and buffeting. Even with earplugs in you can still hear a lot of the noise created by them (ever ridden a 990KTM, they are bad ) and currently have the stock headlight on my DR650, figured a screen vwasnt necessary on the TAT as it was mainly off road. But on the highway you get a lot of wind in the chest, which is tiring. The Brittania Composites unit looks cool and gives options for instuments to be mounted where they are easier to be seen and probably better headlights.
    Cheers Phil
  7. mikecbrxx

Oddometer:
    The headlights are certainly better. However, take the HID option. I didn't.... but have since changed. I say that more due to the reduced power consumption rather than significantly better lighting. The 35w HID (6000k) is about the same as the 65w halogens IMHO and a better color.

As you will be aware, the units in the Lynx are 90mm standard fitting so.... can be changed easily. I am now looking closely at LED's, though am disappointed at what is available right now. The Duo-Lux appears to be the best of what is available....and its expensive.

To compensate, I am considering fitting either a pair of the new, larger, VisionX LED Aux lights or a pair of the triple LED's also from VisionX.

As for noise off the fairing, I rarely ride with earplugs at all....so the noise off the fairing can't be that bad.
  8. mikecbrxx

Oddometer:
    I'm going back in 2014. Preparing an XC for my wife now. Don't think I will go through Mongolia due to time but I want to visit Tuva, the western BAM and old summer road. Unfortunately I am not retired yet (and am self employed) so have to watch the amount of time I take :(: Taking 3 months is just a dream.
  9. Mara Loochezarny

Mara Loochezarny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good trip! Nice photos! and familiar places))
    Always have a good trip!
  10. mikecbrxx

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Your company hired a bike to one of the original group in Almaty.....a girl. I forget her name. She was going down into the Stan's with her boyfriend.
  11. beat

beat Double Dutchie

Oddometer:
    you mean Hanna
  12. mikecbrxx

Oddometer:
    :thumb