The Husaberg 70º FE Adventure Traveler Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lost Roadie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    I'm starting this thread so we have a place to discuss and share how Husaberg FE owners prepare and pack our bikes for multi-day/week/month adventure rides.
    The other 70º Husaberg owners thread is filled with an excellent broad range of knowledge, but I'd like to have a more specific thread with info not to get lost in all the pages of other general info, tech support, troubleshooting and banter.
    I'm going to share how I do my adventuring on the FE, and hope others will join in with their own experiences, suggestions or questions about gear and anything else related to riding or maintaining the current model 70º Husaberg for long distances away from home base or camping off the bike. Of course this will always be an evolution as I learn what works and what doesn't.

Photos of your Husaberg in action traveling, especially while packed are most welcomed here.

-Finn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To add to this thread allow me to quote valuable links for us FE owners. This one courtesy of McLeod.

AUSSIEADV and tkdcol like this.
  2. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Here's a list of things I've added or changed to prepare the FE motorbike for dual sport travel to start this off:

2011 FE570S
    Scotts Performance damper
    Scotts Performance Metal Oil Filter
    14/45 gearing - Ironman sprockets
    Highway Dirt Bike hand guards with turn signals
    Trail Tech map switch
    Seat Concepts low seat with Airhawk Cruiser Pillion 2 seat pad for long road sessions (preferably dirt roads) ;)
    Moose Racing heated grips
    HID 55w headlight purchased from Paul on the Unofficial Husa forum, KTM ATV light converted to HID.
    Baja Designs SII LED lights
    Added a SAE plug wired direct to battery
    Montana 600 GPS
    Safari front tank
    Shorai battery
    Woody's Wheels cush drive rear wheel
    DIY windscreen made with Kydek
    Moved gauges up 1.5 inch to match the bar rise with a simple aluminum bracket I made
    Giant Loop muffler guard
    Shorai 14a battery
    Competition Map, de-smogged
    Enduro Engineering tail with LED lights
    PDM60 Solid State Power Distribution Module Install
    samvspr likes this.
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Good stuff Finn!

I'll be adding my €.02 later, just heading out to dinner now.

But here is a pic of my/our Berg setup at the moment:

[​IMG]

And a shot out in the wild, a little higher up:

[​IMG]
    octopusenvy likes this.
  4. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    Thanks Finn !!

Where were your photos/videos taken ? If you don't mind sharing.

I understand if you don't.

R1
  5. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    I don't mind at all, all my photos are GEO-Tagged so you can see exactly where they were taken.

https://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=22470269_DhgpJm

I will be continuing posting more info about my packing and gear soon.... time to ride now though! :evil

Thanks Lukas! I was hoping you'd jump in here and share your experiences on the FE so far. :clap
  6. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk.
  7. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    If you don't mind being off topic what kind of tarp is that?
  8. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Finn - here's Renazco's post that you were looking for in the other thread about packing the back end of the FE570 with the Wolfman Rollie Bags:

10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I mount my Kriega bags a bit further forward so that the weight is supported by th black plastic subframe under the seat. I sent some photos to Tarwheel that he can post up here or I can take some better ones and send to someone to post up. As stated about the Rollie bags, the strap systems are fiddly to setup but once done are great and don't need touching unless you change the configuration.
  11. McLeod

McLeod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to try my dirtbagz set up on the husa and see if they will hang on.
  12. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that post I was too lazy to dig up kaia!

If having 100% waterproof bags is important for a persons travel plans, like it is to me, then you really can't do wrong with the Wolfman bags that are rated to be waterproof. My Wolfman Expedition bags on my big bike took an incredible amount of abuse and never leaked a drop.
    The Large Rolie bags are too large to fit as rear panniers from what I tried, but those small and medium Rolie bags look great in Renazco's post and I would expect them to perform equally as the other WM bags.

[​IMG]
  13. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Not off topic at all, if it gets packed on a FE, it's on topic in this thread. :D

It's a Chinook Technical Outdoors Guide Tarp. I bought mine on ebay years ago from a Canadian seller, but now it's available in the States.
    http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/store/11015-6!025/Chinook+Guide+All-Purpose+Tarp+12'+x+9'6"#
    It's served me well, though I only bring it when I know we will be camping with rain, like last week with it raining/snowing 80% of the time I was camping so it's was a good choice to make space for. It packs about the size of a grapefruit in a compression bag and traveled in the Large Wolfman Rolie panniers I have on the FE.

A Kelty Tarp Pole completed the setup, and was packed in a Sea to Summit tent pole bag with my fishing poles on the FE. The Sea to Summit tent pole bag is important since it has loops to run my straps through to "lock" the bag(s) to the bike, even if the strap comes loose I won't loose my stuff. BTDT. :ear

Here you can see the Tent Pole Bags, one with the tent poles - one with 2 fishing poles + the tarp poles. You can also see the SAE plug hanging out, the Kreiga US10 bag under a MSR Dromdary 4L water bag held on with a cargo net, Giant Loop Mojave bag (NOT WATERPROOF!), GL Muffler Guard and the Seat Concepts seat + Airhawk pad.

[​IMG]

It's nice to see the interest in traveling on the FE, admittedly Cyrus's "Ultimate Lightweight Adventure Bike" write up was the moment of realization for me that lead to months of following FE forums and finally making the plunge when a perfect hardly used bike came around at the right enough time.... he nailed it with thinking Husaberg gave us a great platform to start with for traveling on such a high performance bike. I've always known my lightweight travel bike would not be orange, not disrespect intended. The "Swedish Mistress" has all the right ingredients there for us to utilize and enjoy.
    I've tried to contact him with no luck to get more info on his oil mods, since that's the big one I need to figure out to really get some freedom on this FE. Hopefully he's out riding somewhere far away on his FE having fun. :D
    Having spent so many miles adventuring on a bike that was double the weight of the FE, I really am in heaven now. What would have been stressful or scary is now enjoyable. Of course there's compromises to be made for having such a lightweight bike, but for me and where I want to RIDE this bike to it will work out just fine I believe. :ricky

[​IMG]
  14. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LukasM, great looking bikes! Wish we had the newer bergs here in the states...... What is the brand/model of that tank bag you are using? I'd love more info on it. Thanks
  15. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Back from the dead and with no more BMW Joe? Glad to see you posting again.
  16. Barshoe

Barshoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No fan kit, shame!
  17. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    It's on the list, though I've yet to overheat the bike with the riding I've done so it's not at the top of my (limited budget) list. :evil
    I need a rear safari tank, a 70º tank and some other various bits first.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know if the fan kit works with the BulletProof Rad guards? Any photos would be great.

Mr. Bracket, aren't you the guy with the nifty trailer on your FE? Would you mind sharing some info about your rig in this thread?

Thanks Doug, it's nice to be back. :D
  18. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    wont the rear Safari tank limit your ability to use rear luggage like your Giant Loop or a Wolfman Rollie system?
    Cloudryder likes this.
  19. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought about replying as a PM, but decided against it as there might be some interest from others...

Hmmm... I have a number of these - see notes inline.
  20. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Yes, as why I've gone with the front tank panniers setup, amount other reasons.
    I feel I needed to choose if I wanted extra fuel up front with panniers in back or visa-versa. Having a big front tank and tank panniers would be too wide and put too much weight over the front wheel, and I'd rather have more room to move around in the back instead of packing bags on the seat. That's just a personal preference though, if the GL bags were actually 100% waterproof it would make my decision much harder.... but they are not waterproof and I can't travel like that, and don't want to put bags into bags. Again, that's just me.
    I chose to keep the front end the same as I like how it feels/looks as it is, and packing tank panniers on it is working out OK. Having the rear tank I believe will give me better flexibility with choosing what fuel goes where and how it's used since I can essentially isolate the rear tank from the bike by closing the valves, not using it at all but still being able to fill up the OEM tank when it's not needed.

Does anyone have any photos of the rear safari, preferably from the top looking down?

Currently one side of my GL Mojave holds tools, tubes, air pump, tow straps, etc. The other side holds a MSR Dromedary bag I've used for carrying extra fuel.
    Worst case I loose one side of the Mojave with the rear Safari, but I won't need it anyways not needing to carry fuel in a bag. I'm still not sure how the rear safari will effect the GL mojave bag

I'm waiting for that slick skid plate/tool box that Lukas and the Husa ADV Team used to become available to the public, then I can utilize the one side of the GL bag for other things, or lose it altogether.... any word on that toolbox Lukas?... how did it work out for you guys?

I see your post Bogey, I have to run and will reply soon.