Gaerne boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Nath87, May 30, 2012.

1. Nath87

Nath87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to get some boots, like this week. I ride a BMW 1100GS so I want something that will be comforable on road and can handle some mild off road stuff.. I really like the Gaerne balance trials boots, but im having a hard time seeing the differances bettween the pro-tech boots, oiled boots and classic boots. Anyone out there know much about this line of boots? specifically I want to know if the pro-tech boots are waterproof? I'm thinking there not.
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been riding Balanced Oiled for a month now. It is the only trials boot they offer with a waterproof membrane. That is why it costs $100 more. I don't think they offer the 'Classic' Balance, but the Pro-Tech version of the Balance appears to be the same boot except for the oiling and the membrane. They have a lower price point boot called the G-Adventure, which is a similar 3 buckle design with shorter than the traditional 4 buckle boot designs.

I tried all the models on before settling on the waterproof boot. All have a soft sole for easy walking. The G-Adventure is clearly a lighter boot. The stiffest was the Pro-Tech. The Oiled model was more supple because of the oiling process, but still a protective boot.

I have an old pair of Sidi Discovery boots for about 9 seasons now. The Balance trials models are all more comfortable than my Disco's. The buckles strike me a little fiddly, though.
  3. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. slaterbj

slaterbj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the Balance Oiled Boots and love them! They are super comfortable, and are even ok riding in 90+ temps.
  5. tanneman

tanneman I'm no Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying the Balance Classic as it was a bit cheaper that the Balance Oiled. Due to the shape and size of my feet few boots actually fits my feet (45-46 wide, neither here nor there). The Balance Oiled and Classic is water proof but the Pro tech not I think.These boots are very comfortable, like your favourite slippers with all the protection that you need. I love it and recommend it above the mainstream competition. Review here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669864&highlight=gaerne
  6. huguesfrederic

huguesfrederic HF

Oddometer:
    I have wore these boots probably 7 days and the stitches are letting go the boot is disintegrating on me. Probably not waterproof anymore. Very bad purchase and built quality. :cry The most expensive boots ever 43$ per day!
  7. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I sure hope you got a "Friday" boot. 'Cause this is the boot I decided on getting. I've got maybe four good rides on them. So far, so good. Wish me luck.
    I wanted Sidi, but the Gaerne fit better.
  8. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine have endured about a year and a half of serious abuse with no issues, so I wouldn't worry too much. I think huguesfrederic must have gotten a bad pair, sounds like a warranty issue to me...
  9. tiger seven

tiger seven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding in Balance Pro-Techs since August. They are great and very comfortable, on and off the bike, in hot or cold weather, but NOT waterproof. They can handle some rain but not a long ride in a rainstorm or crossing streams.

The Balance Oiled and Balance Classic both have waterproof membranes. The Oiled is (obviously) oiled leather and the Classic is made of Lorica, a mircofiber synthetic leather.

Derek
  10. Gerker

Gerker Rapier Like Wit

Oddometer:
    Another thumbs up for the Balance Oiled, comfortable and you can actually walk around quite a bit in them. Not a lot of ankle protection though, that's the trade off.
  11. mctonyb

mctonyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That must be bad luck; I've had mine for sometime and even crashed pretty hard while wearing them and they still look tops. I'd contact them to get it resolved.
  12. pHudson

pHudson still riding

Oddometer:
    I find my pro-techs to be really warm. Do you find that as well? I don't mind, but some people really hate have hot feet.
  13. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive been riding in the balance pro's on the big bike. Certainly not the protection of my crossfires, but incredibly comfortable!
    I have about 6k miles in the boots now. some wear, but holding up really well.
    My Dad wanted a boot between the mx boot and the balance pro's. He ended up with the forma adventure boot. So far he is really happy with them.
    Give Brian at atomic moto a call. he's awesome to deal with
  14. tiger seven

tiger seven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I don't. We have hot, humid summers here and I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the boots were. I've worn them for 8-10 hours at a time and my feet have never really been hot. I wear Smartwool socks year-round with all my shoes and boots and I'm a big believer in the magic of wool socks for keeping feet comfortable. I did a few hours of offroading on Sunday and it was about 90F (around 32C) and my feet never felt hot. When I took my boots off my socks were barely damp from sweat.

Derek
  15. pHudson

pHudson still riding

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I've placed an order for 5 or 6 wool socks, so maybe that will keep my feet feeling good. I wonder if the issue is that they have a lot of insulation value, so on a cold day they (the boots) feel plenty warm, but on a hot day, they don't absorb the heat from the road, engine, sunshine, etc.
  16. sonarman

sonarman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had my Oil balanced for a couple of months now. Excellent in the comfort department, you actually feeling like wearing them even after I get off the bike.
    No hotter than any other boots I have owned.