petcock strainers?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by CanBike, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CanBike

CanBike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the petcock strainers are no longer available? Can't find them anywhere.
  2. moosehead

moosehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    south of the checkerboard....Bruce Penninsula
    Motobins have them...

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R Series 2 valve Twin

at bottom of this page

plus have everything else you need.

I usually allow week for delivery in normal times from England. May be a bit slower at Xmas...happy hunting.

Or try Hucky's in the USA

Or use in-line filters in both fuel lines until you get them
  3. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    They went NLA a while back, then became available again. I haven't ordered any recently, but have decided not to panic anymore when I see NLA. The last time I did I had a bunch of springs made to hold the eccentrice for ATE Calipers. Then they became available again.
  4. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    Do you have straight or 90 degree petcocks? The straight ones have an additional strainer in the nipple end, you don't have to remove the petcocks from the tank to check/clean it.
  5. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most people just use the inline filters. They work and you can see when they need replacing.
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I used only the small ones for several years. Never knew that I didn't have the bigger ones in place till I recently took apart to clean everything. Was probably flowing slow but still worked. Lots of flakes in small screen area. Now have both small and larger screen in place. I've never used filters but could. Don't really see what the extra filtration would do. Screens seem to be enough.
  7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    The in-tank filter socks are advanatageous in that theyhave a much greater area than the in-petcock or inline filters and are less prone ro getting overloaded and clogging. In addition, since they have gasoline swilling back and forth on a regular basis they tend to be self-cleaning. When I do my yearly tank "cleaning" in the Spring I remove the tank and slosh a quarter-gallon of gas (with a couple ounces of denatured alcohol) around vigorously and pour that gas out quickly to remove sediment and trapped water.

Even then, I consider the in-tank filters as primary and use sintered bronze in-line filters as secondary.

--Bill