Urgent Help needed, Oil Light On - What's the Problem?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Suncruiser, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    I suspect that either the oil pressure switch failed or the wire is shorted to ground somewhere in/near the harness.

removing the wire from the switch should determine this. then a test with a volt/ohm meter of the switch itself should tell the story quickly.

if there is no or significantly low oil pressure, the cam chains will chatter loudly.

it is a long shot, but if the switch is proven good, it is possible that the passage that feeds the switch has become fouled with something, perhaps sealant that would block pressure from making it to the switch.

Keep in mind that the pressure switch is at the END of the oil circuit that has to pass through the head, cam bridge and then back down to the switch.
  2. Suncruiser

Suncruiser and Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She's all good again. Trucked her to the dealer, Gustavo the mechanic hooked her up to diagnostic tool and she had quite a few things wrong unrelated to the issue here that got fixed also. He's the best mechanic I came across so far, really in there with all his skills and all his heart. The fault was indeed the oil pressure switch, he replaced it and everything is good again.The dirty sump oil and the piece found in there was actually wood, yes wood. Must have got in there at the last service in Buenos Aires.
    Thanks everyone for supporting me here, you guys rock!
    Ciao, I'm off now to Ilha do Mel and then Iguazu Falls.
  3. Helios

Helios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good deal! now get out there and kick some:D

-H
  4. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These bikes always give me wood:lol3
  5. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer: