Hepco & Becker Aluminum Bags on Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by zenwhipper, Dec 6, 2006.

1. zenwhipper

zenwhipper Slabventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody have some pics they can post of the HB Standard Aluminum Bags (either the 37L or 43L) on a DL1000? These bags don't seem to be as popular in the US and I'm having trouble finding shots of these on the V-strom. I'm close to picking these - but I may go with the Touratechs.

Thanks Mates!

PS Here is what the H&B std Al bag looks like:

[​IMG]

... I'd just like to see it on an actual Vstrom! :wink:
  2. RR-

RR- =====

Oddometer:
  3. zenwhipper

zenwhipper Slabventurer

Oddometer:
  4. JustAL

JustAL Let's go!

Oddometer:
    Have you clicked on the images for a "more elucidating picture"?

How clear do you want it?:1drink
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I can see none of those images (even the larger ones) show the bags from the rear which is one thing a lot of people want to see, especially when fitted to a Wee Strom. There is no real indication of the actual width from the images on the site.
  6. JustAL

JustAL Let's go!

Oddometer:
    If width is what's required then email the folks at amotostuff, Hepco & Becker, etc.

Photos depicting relative width can be deceptive when most folks use a 50mm or equivalent lens.
  7. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Zenwhipper, just a note of caution regarding the capacity size you end up choosing. Mounted 41 litre Touratech Zega panniers on my DL1000K4 in 05 and I've ended up having to become a suspension zen master, I'm not one yet, because of the effects of aerodynamics and load have played with high speed handling on my DL. Looking back, I would now have gone with the 35 litre units for the decreased width and reduced carrying capacity. I am impressed with the build quality of the Zegas, sourced them from the dist. in Seattle, no worse than the Givi setup in price and oh so durable. It's probably going to take an Ohlins shock in the rear before I'm satisfied with the loaded handling though. Springs front and rear and a Scotts damper as well as servicing and other upgrades, have all slowly brought stability back to a near acceptable level. Good luck with your upgrades, gotta love panniers over plastic. :nod
  8. zenwhipper

zenwhipper Slabventurer

Oddometer:
    :huh OK. Interesting. So its the width, you think and the weight of the load? What was the specific handling issue? Head wobble at speed? Corner of case touching down when you're leaned over? Low-rider rear end? How much do you put in them? How fast do you typically go (you said high speed?)? Do you really need a steering damper?

Perhaps, I'm hoping, your situation is a rare one. I can see the Zega 41L ARE wide and they present an addition to the bike that is not very aerodynamic. But can it be that bad? :(:

Tanks mate.

zw
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Yes. :deal Even Givis that are significantly more streamlined then square aluminum boxes create chages in handling (this is before they are fully loaded). You will have to change the preload to compensate for the additional static load (not to mention dynamic load). If you have a stock shock, it may not be up to keeping the rear end at the right level.

Gustavo
  10. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    I run solo to the CDN Rockies, in riding gear I'm in the "low" 200lbs range and I run my Zegas heavily loaded with an Oxford large tailbag on the stock rack. These 41litre panniers carry their weight high and rearward and I find it unloads the front considerably. I have mounted an oem 16 tooth front sprkt. while retaining the stock length chain, which means the rear axle is further rearward, especially now as the bike has 30,000 kilometers and the chainset is due for replacement. I feel this coming spring's installation of a 16/40 with 530VM DID chain and the rear axle placed as far forward as possible to achieve enough freeplay, will further help my mods to regain higher speed stability. With the rear axle so far back at present, the panniers substancial loads are transferred needlessly rearward, furthering the weight transfer off the front end.

Yes, the amount of weight carried plays a huge role with unweighting the front end, but I didn't mount the 41litre Zegas to carry down filled pillows.:evil I think I've come to realize that the areodynamic drag of my panniers, at the present time with all my mods in place, mostly just limit the top speed and play a bigger role in crosswinds etc. Ignoring for a moment the quality of the stock suspension as delivered, the DL1000's standard format of being a tall and somewhat light bike with a 19" front wheel, substancial windshield and bodywork and tall handlebars, it seems quite susceptable to handling imbalances when subjected to heavy loading not uncommon with touring applications.

My touring in the Rockies involves alot of single lane passing of motorhomes, campers and long lines of following vehicles. So despite being heavily loaded, I've been tweaking and upgrading the bike to try and achieve stability up to speeds of aprox. 100mph, which is not an unreasonable speed "for me" to find myself resorting to, in order to find some clear road ahead that yields a reasonable cruising speed on my tours.

My upgrades to date from front to back are .95 Sonic springs with a flush and 10 weight ohlins fluid, upgrades to the compression and rebound cartridges will follow in the years ahead, after the stock seals fail and probably from GP Suspensions. A fork brace, MSR ATV high handlebars with welded crossbar, Scotts/Ohlins :thumb steering damper, cause if it's gonna get light on the front I want something other than my puckered ass and trembling hands to have an influence on the situation.:eek1 A wilburs rear spring allowed me to achieve a weighted sag level without resorting to topping out the preload and usefulness of the oem spring. A set of rear suspension dogbones 6mm shorter than stock, that raised the rear of the bike to transfer a portion of the weight to the front. As reasonable as the Wilburs rear spring installation was, next time I'd just mount the Ohlins with a correct spring rate for my needs, as my bike still requires better damping out back. I've been extremely impressed with Ohlins pricing from White Buffalo Racing, as well as AFAM 530 sprocket upgrades and reasonable DID chains. I'm rather sure the oem rear shock is transferring a lot of unwanted feedback to the front end, never mind the loading. Presently my forks are not raised in the triple trees, as the modded rear dogbones are basically filling that need and they've been up and down as the bike evolved. I finally got around to mounting a decent set of pure road tires as well, Michelin Pilot Roads, although the rear ZR wears much too fast and I'll sub a rear Tourance in the spring.

Without an Ohlins rear shock installed and awaiting the new chain set to reap the benefits of having the rear axle moved considerably forward, perhaps as much as an inch or more, my DL currently has stability fully loaded to aprox. 85 to 95 mph with a speedohealer corrected speedometer. I do my own servicing with the oem manual and much thanks to the two major Vstrom forums, including cutting down the oem free floating sideplay of the swingarm from .032" to a more reasonable .005 to .007" :eek1.

My two bits worth regarding my bike, my needs, my impressions, and to the thriving masses that ride fully loaded, two up with love handles and trailers on stock Vstroms with stability all the way up to 300 kilometers per hour, hats off and all the more power to yah!!:lol3

Your results may vary... 996DL
  11. zenwhipper

zenwhipper Slabventurer

Oddometer:
    All I got to say is holey crap!:eek1 I applaud your very thorough examination and search for a solution! :clap If it were me - and I was faced with this, I'd probably sell the freakin' bike and get something else. But- I do appreciate where you're coming from. I just hope when I get me '06 all outfitted and loaded - I don't have any issues (well at least I don't notice them) and cruzin' down the road is sweetness!

zw
  12. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Zenwhipper, thanks for the kind words, almost got a headache trying to draft my last post. I'm not much into digital cameras, mind boggling avatars (yet), but if I see a worthwhile subject regarding something I'm passionate about, I'll go to the trouble of posting my two bits.

I'm 50, been nut's about bikes since 15, hasn't always necessarily been a good thing.:huh But whatever, sure been a big part of the roller coaster ride, kinda getting more at ease with heading towards the fertilizer state though, rather calming really.:wink:

I've got a soft spot for all bikes and brands, but I've got my preferences...
    As we're all mostly aware, the foundation of DL1000 series powerplant goes back to 1997 with the release of the TL's. This is no garden variety motor, as it was intended to compete directly with the most up to date incarnations of Ducati's 851/888/916/996 motor of that era. Extremely short cam chains, idler gear driven cams, today's SV's generally RW dyno at about 110hp and the TLR's were about 119hp if memory serves me correctly. Our own DL's aprox. 90rwhp, BULLETPROOF design, extremely long intervals to SIMPLE servicing requirements and they finally packaged it so "old farts", or thinking motorcyclists could enjoy this powerplant in comfort and throw a set of saddlebags on to boot!:wings This bike is so much more than a segment bargain..., I could really give a RAT'S ASS whether the average consumer / enthusiast recognizes these FACTS... Thanks to Suzuki and the apparent influence of the German distributer in getting the ball rolling, we have an awesome useable modern classic sport touring twin, to leave stock and enjoy, or tweak till the cows come home to suit our individual needs. And trust me, I can't afford to make mistakes when it comes to my motorcycles, me and the Manx cat in my rented basement suite have to put a lot of thought into such things.:huh

I don't enjoy wrenching needlessly, so I've always made a point of picking bikes that speak to me, whether it was a 74 Ducati 750SS in the long forgotten past, or an oiled down 86 RG500 I just can't seem to get around to servicing for Sunday rides in the Rockies. I doubt you'll regret owning your DL1000, I would have have noticed it if you would and couldn't have been bothered getting a headache creating these posts...

Best wishes to you and your's...
    996DL

PS; Hanging a couple stainless steel sinks off the back of most any bike, generally get's about any of them a little upset, especially if we load them to the gunwales. I was a "trifle naive" myself when I threw the Zegas on, regarding the aftermath, but about time I was forced into the "suspension zen master apprenticeship."