A Short Sojourn in South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tiffany, Jun 25, 2013.

1. IVAN38

IVAN38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Tiffany
    Magnificent adventure, your photos are brilliant :clap
    I looks forward to the continuation...
    Safe journey and has very soon
  2. Tiffany

Tiffany Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay over the past few days, but I'm now at home and RockyDog has come to visit and we went away camping and kayaking for a few days, you'll see stuff in his RR which is here
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895070

Talking of which, I set him up with a comfortable room at my house:D

[​IMG]

and here is the scene that greeted me at his place in Oklahoma when I was on the road last year.

[​IMG]

anyway, I'd better get back to my own RR, there I was down in South America, taking the coast road from Nasca to Arequipa, we're getting close to the end.

[​IMG]
  3. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:

TheReaper! is still here and I still have my eye on you girl , the eagle is for the rodents (rats & mice) . No cats down there ? Wish I was there with you . :evil

TheReaper!
  4. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those words of wisdom Reaper!:D
  5. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Us Okies know how to circle the welcome wagons, don't we? But Tiffany left out some other stuff I enjoyed; delicious vegetarian meals, a warm and welcoming home for all who cross the threshold, and an understated elegance about her that makes visitors and friends alike feel special in her presence.

The room was comfy, sunny, and was dubbed the Oklahoma room cause this album cover was over the headboard. I could not have enjoyed my stay more, thank you, Tiff, for all....

Stephen

[​IMG]
  6. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Somewhat distracted for a while there - checking out what Rockydog was saying about my house on his RR, in my defence, that really untidy room is actually the greenhouse!!:D

Anyway, the journey

It takes all sorts to make a big journey like this, and a weird sense of humour always helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

having been in the deserts, salt lake and mountains for quite a while we were making the most of every opportunity to get photos of our bikes with the sea in the background

[​IMG]
    some great curves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A friendly fuel stop

[​IMG]

which stretched out to be an impromptu picnic lunch stop as more arrived

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the name of the garage...

[​IMG]

yep
    Virgen del Buen Paso
    which has a number of translations, including the Good Step Virgin or the Virgin of the Good Way. Take your pick, it certainly makes a change from Shell or Esso.
  7. Paddygfw

Paddygfw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    You make it look very exciting......great RR
  8. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Paddy
    Thank you, though it's not hard in these sort of surroundings for an RR to look pretty good. Every day, my riders have been astounded at the great views and incredible range of landscapes. More to come...

Tiffany
  9. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    The dry and desolate cliff roads were occasionally punctuated by a lush green valleys where various rivers had cut through the landscape. Every inch of the valley floor was cultivated to make the most of the water - a scarcity in this arid part of the continent.

[​IMG]

A vivid splash of colour. We would descend down to the valley floor, cross over the river on a bridge and then go up the other side, heading south throughout.

[​IMG]

Finally in the distance, we saw this welcome sight

[​IMG]

No, not the bus:rofl

the volcano beyond it

[​IMG]

another one that I was assured is not currently active, it's called Misti (Putina) and last erupted in 1985, hmm, not actually extinct then.
  10. Saeed

Saeed Life-long learner

Oddometer:
    Those pics are gorgeous
  11. TheReaper!

Oddometer:
    That's it ? 4 days and nutin honey ? What happened....... food poisoning ? :puke1

Get to work and post some thing :lurk

TheReaper! :wink:
  12. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Thanks Saeed.

and Reaper, I'm getting there, gradually, (story of my life:D) I've been a bit distracted by humdrum stuff like long work days as I have to earn a living and then yesterday went walking and saw six basking sharks, just off the coast near my house. They're very big (20 feet long) but safe so hoping to go out in the kayaks today.
    I'll attempt to get this RR done - even if just a little bit, some problems with uploading my pics onto SmugMug lately.
  13. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    OK, I've worked out the problem, Mozilla doesn't let me use SmugMug properly so I open with a different wotsit.

Back to RR.
    We'd ridden a long way that day along the coastal road and finally with Misti Volcano in our sights we had arrived at the legendary city of Arequipa - the White City. We'd battled through the traffic, roadworks and general chaos to find our hotel.
    And then there was one more job for me to do...
    One of my tasks as guide is finding suitable secure parking - oh yes, it's not just Thelma to worry about, on a trip like this 10 top notch BMW bikes need a bit more security than my 22 year old warhorse.
    I find an enclosed parking area, negotiate with the attendant - they enjoy the fact that
    a) despite all these blokes, a woman is negotiating
    b) my Brit accent when speaking in Spanish
    they're not so fond of my keen nose for a bargain, after so many years of travelling on a miniscule budget, I don't go for soft deals.

Then I direct and help get the bikes squeezed into the smallest area possible, in some of these towns, space is at a premium and we have to pack the bikes in quite tightly.

[​IMG]

Bikes parked and safe, I headed back to the hotel where the group were already relaxing over a few beers

They had taken over the hotel reception area (and what an amazing hotel)

[​IMG]

Bike gear everywhere, we sat back and shared ride tales and photos from the day

[​IMG]

As the sun finished setting, I took some photos from the hotel rooftop terrace before heading out for dinner

[​IMG]

The volcano looks peaceful enough so maybe we won't be woken by a midnight eruption.

The restaurant was great, it's a carnivore's paradise, numerous different types of meat are served on red hot griddles that are spitting hot fat so they dished out bibs for all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ostrich, llama, alpaca and other exotic meats were on offer, as the meat eaters tucked in,

[​IMG]

I was actually enjoying one of the finest meals I'd had this whole trip, yep, the meaty place did good veggie food as well:clap:clap
  14. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Early morning Arequipa and all is peaceful. Which is good as we have a complicated route through the one way system to negotiate and sometimes it's just a lot simpler to go down the wrong way...simpler?? sometimes it's impossible to find your destination without doing something like that

[​IMG]

These colonial places seem to share an aversion to tarmac.

Out of town, not a cloud in the sky, so a good day for riding, we head up some steep hills
    I enjoy looking at the graphics that are used on signs in other countries

[​IMG]

On this one, the car reminds me of the Anthill Mob car in the Wacky Races cartoon

[​IMG]

Crossing the desert that surrounds Arequipa, we see more of these shanty towns, ramshackle huts scattered in small settlements on the dry earth.

[​IMG]

Again we see the importance of the small rivers that flow here, they are the only source of greenery. Approaching this river valley there is also a splash of colour on the ground
    [​IMG]

Something is scattered, drying in the sun
    [​IMG]

Even this close, I'm still not sure what it is...maybe chillies?

[​IMG]
  15. TheReaper!

Oddometer:
    :snore:snore:snore:snore

TheReaper!
  16. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Reaper- is this what being married is like?:D
    enough of the nagging - I've been away working with teenage delinquents teaching them camping and outdoor skills, night walks, fires etc.
    IF you're lucky you'll get an update before I head back into work. in 20 minutes time.
  17. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Our final day of riding, we were heading back into Chile, we were on an "improved" road which had several toll booths along its length.

It's a question of trial and error when travelling in foreign countries as to whether motorbikes have to pay a toll and queue up with the other vehicles (says the woman who has also smashed through a barrier!!:huh)
    Mexico for example drives me mad as bike riders HAVE to pay the full toll that a car pays, in fact a pick-up truck with 15 people in the back pays the same as a solo motorcyclist!.

In Peru I quickly worked out that we did not have to pay, and therefore we were regarded as Los Exonerados - The Excused or Forgiven,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and so we would be expected to take the Exonerados Lane, which in the above picture means keeping in the right hand lane and going past the orange traffic cone, while other vehicles followed the car.
    however the others in my group had not realised - and at several booths as I arrived, out would run one or two uniformed guys waving their arms and gesturing me to keep to the right. Obviously some of the riders were ahead of me and had taken the incorrect lane, putting the toll booth attendant in an awkward position - what on earth should they do with an Exonerated in their lane. A fee HAS to be paid for every vehicle that passes through, and the attendant has to show they have taken a payment from each one, but an Exonerado has broken the rule, there is a no fee and yet they are counted because they have travelled in the WRONG lane- who will be responsible for it?
  18. TheReaper!

Oddometer:
    till death do us part :pain

TheReaper!
  19. GSABest

GSABest El Aventurero

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your ride report!! As of November 2012 in Mexico we now thankfully pay half the going rate for an auto on the quota roads!
  20. Tiffany

Oddometer:
    Is that a proposal Reaper??:wink: