Frame swap

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by oldroadie, Feb 1, 2012.

1. oldroadie

oldroadie Two wheel addict

Oddometer:
    I'm about to swap out the bent frame on my R75/5swb and I'm looking for advice; you know, from those of you who have made mistakes that I don't need to repeat :-)
    Already made the mistake of assuming a salvage title implied an inspected straight frame so lets not even go there...
  2. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Already have a frame picked out?
    It's kind of a crap shoot at this point, but pretty much any frame from 1970-1980 will be the easiest one. (except for a 79/80 R65 frame)
    For simplicity sake stick with one in those year ranges.
    For the best of the best within those ranges, the 77-80 would be the choice I would make.
    They made constant upgrades over the years.
    If you go with post 80, all kinds of things won't work, ie, electric compnents mounting brackets, cenetrstand, sidestand etc.
    R65 frames have the same previous mentioned foibles, plus the gas tank mounts are different front and back.
    I learned this one the hard way.
    In the end, the best solution is still the 77-80 NON R65 frame.
  3. oldroadie

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This was as far as I got before I took some rake and trail measurements. I have since sourced a frame from the fine folks at Re-Psycle in Ohio and it arrived last night, a mere 1600 serial numbers newer than my motor. That should make it a fairly direct parts transfer, but I'm new to airheads and that may be way over simplified. Having backed myself into a corner by finishing a project on a duff frame I was looking for pointers on what not to do thinking I could recoup some lost time by avoiding further mistakes.
  4. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Wow...pretty cool looking "shorty".:clap
  5. oldroadie

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's been a lot of fun seeing it come to this point. Now all I have to left to accomplish is re-do everything...
  6. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    It looks like a perfect candidate for some "scrambler" type high pipes. I love it!
  7. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Be careful. Some people will give you some grief noticing such stuff. Remember the first couple of posts after I saw the photos?

Here comes another tip oldroadie: Duane and some others recommend wearing the fork boots up high like that in order to save the rubber from cracking while the bike is on the center stand. They are supposed to be pulled done to the stop ridge a few inches lower so that the boots don't punch up while the bike is being ridden. Call me crazy but I consider that more important. Mounted up high like that they bunch up badly and look horrible on the road. Most importantly they bunch up thick enough to restrict fork travel by around an inch. Take you springs out and see for yourself.

+1 on ww's frame advise.