CE-approved clothing - master list?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ranmafan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, looks like they did change their mind, too bad...

I'm guessing they found something that they know won't pass - the knee vents, maybe.
  2. mr lajoie

mr lajoie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking for ce approved waterproof gloves, so i tryed to contact with racer. All i asked is if any glove of their brand is homolagated with the en 13594 certificate. Some months later still no answer.
    A buddy bought the racer stratos gloves, and they seem to be very far from being as resistant as the halvarssons safety or highvelocitygear formula.
    Now some pics of the labels attached to the gloves:

Short explanation of the product, written with big and easily readable letters
    [​IMG]

Another label, suposedly technical stuff about the glove with big CE stamp and under it something slightly confusing:
    " Tested by the CTC
    4 Herman frenkel street - 69369 Lyon CĂ©dex
    Certified by the CTC "by means of expert" (also might be translated as: what an expert would say)"
    [​IMG]

And of the back of this label we can find a wall of text written with tiny letters, part of it says:
    " Level 1: short glove or long glove destinated to urban usage and/or short journeys/trips, offering a basic level of protection in the following tests: wrench, cut off, abrasion, solidity of stiching and impact."

[​IMG]
  3. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the info! My french is horrible, but I think 'dechirement' is ripping or tearing, and 'coupure' is cutting, not necessarily cutting off.
  4. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Same experience here (earlier in this thread). I eventually emailed Racer USA, and while the person was quite confused regarding standardization, they did state that they have no 13594 certificate, and that "testing was planned, but the glove was late in production and was not tested to level 2". They then removed the claim from the website.

Oh, and mention of "EN13594" has to be on the gloves themselves. The pictogram also needs to have "EN 13594" under it, but can go on the packaging.

The standard has a very specific list of things that need to go into the booklet - among them a diagram showing impact protection zones. My French is non-existent, but this doesn't look like it. Nothing like the booklet that comes with the Safety Grip, either.

IMHO it's next to impossible to mess this up if you honestly try to follow what the standard says. Errors like these got to be deliberate.
  5. mr lajoie

mr lajoie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the first pic of my previews post the labels says that the glove is rated 6/6 stars for abrasion and recommended for racing.
    In the second pic the label suggest that the glove is level 1, but who knows of what certification.
    In the third pic it's possible to find, in the middle of a wall of tiny letters,
    a mention of a level 1, who clearly contradicts the first label in the first pics.

Let's throw some light on this issue with a fourth pic, of the label stitched to the glove:

[​IMG]

No certification nor level, that's what the brand can grant to the customers, nothing. (aside they are good creating false expectations)

P.D. thank you Gruesome, too bad i can't edit the other repply.
  6. Spina

Spina wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Seems to me like the they're the more common "ce category 1" like gardening gloves. My Lindstrands Comet has the same kind of certification; they're not CE approved.
    With Hi-art in key areas, I hope they will work well enough in case of an accident. I think I will buy the safety grip when I will have some money...
  7. messes

messes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'd like to request an update to the master list. Altberg make the Bahn Rider and Roadrunner boots which are off the shelf boots (made to order, depending on size) certified to 13634:2010, levels 2; 2; 2.

Thanks
  8. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Updated, thanks.
  9. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
  10. istadniy

Oddometer:
  11. velocitygear

velocitygear Killer Moto Gloves

Oddometer:

Has anyone listed the exact differences between the original standard of 2002 and 2012? Pretty sure "CE approved" gloves will be much easier to find since the EU PPE Directive for this category has been seriously altered to allow more Manufacturers to build a CE passing glove.

Shame on whoever needs to be shamed upon to allow this kind of degredation to the original 2002 Directive!

FFS!!!:dood
  12. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    http://www.dolomiticert.it/eng/?p=160

If you can get your hands on the new document (still a draft, so not as easy), there would be a detailed list of changes near the beginning.

It's been made clear that Level 1 gloves are by no means adequate for anything, yes (though then, neither are back protectors).

Will update the list once I get back home.
  13. velocitygear

velocitygear Killer Moto Gloves

Oddometer:
    A level 1 glove I would assume is a motocross application. I guess my question is; if the goal was to offer another category for personal, non -professional use or sports like Motocross why downgrade the "Professional" portion?
  14. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    I was under impression they were trying to get rid of "professional" references completely. I guess the wording was there because "professional" workers (riders) should wear adequate PPE in the workplace, as per the EU directive; but it isn't the standards committee's job to make the distinction. The standard applies to everyone equally. That's my understanding, anyway.
  15. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars Toucan adventure style boot, internal CE label.
    [​IMG]
  16. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Updated both, thanks. Nice to see another L2 boot. I don't follow the news as much now that I found gear I'm happy with, so these sorts of updates are really appreciated.

I don't think that "passed with flying colors" means what Knox thinks it means, though. I'd also like to know how does one get certification for a standard that hasn't been approved yet...
  17. istadniy

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the double post, didn't realise the thread was on pre-moderation.

There's a free preview of the 2012 version here: http://www.nen.nl/pdfpreview/preview_169242.pdf

and as far as the 7-page preview shows the new level 2 is similar, but slightly different to the old 2002 version.
  18. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are happy to announce the Lean Angle Jeans now bear the CE Mark.

The Lean Angle Jeans have been tested, and examined to assure their compliance with technical standard: EN 13595-2 "Protective clothing for professional motorcycle riders - jackets, trousers and one-piece or divided suits - Part 2: Test method for determination of impact abrasion resistance".

Every pair ordered will now come with a Lean Angle Jeans Manual.
  19. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    That's pretty impressive, congrats on finally making it!
    List updated.
  20. Spina

Spina wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I don't want to sound fussy, but, the EN 13595-2 only refer to abrasion, right?
    So, they're not really CE Level 2 approved, as the ce norm is not divisible and to be ce-approved the fabric have to pass all the three section ( abrasion, burst and cut ); they passed only the abrasion clause of norm, or am I wrong?
    Again, that's only to undestand the argument, not to discredit lean angle, sorry if it sounds like that.