Dakar 2014 - Official Event Coverage - thank you all, lurkers and posters!!!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES!!! Bueno and Mucho Gracias!!:clap Both DVRs set, kids and wife, start yer bitchin. :lol3
  3. EKIN

EKIN Just Do It

Oddometer:
    Escale twins are towing one of the bikes and still on SS. As stated a long first day to start Dakar.
  4. catas

catas Orange rider

Oddometer:
  5. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    Cyril Depres-

"I got a bit emotional..."

[​IMG]
    "A winding special with lots of breaking and accelerating. 180 km of this was a great way to get the ball rolling! I took some time to find my bearings and ease into my pace. The first special is always tough when you come from cold Europe and you get thrown into the thick of things, so I'm happy to get good feelings. I got a bit emotional at the start, what with starting a new adventure... It was a difficult year, with the decision to move to Yamaha, and then having to prepare the motorcycle, working with the entire team... So when D-Day comes, it feels good to be racing again."

Duclos-

Important to hitch myself to the right wagon..."

[​IMG]
    "I'm over the moon because I had lots of fun, my Sherco didn't miss a beat and it was a real pleasure to ride on this type of course, where it almost rides itself. In short: fun, speed and a nice bonus at the finish with this result! It was important for me to do well from the beginning in order to hitch myself to the right wagon for upcoming stages.

Barreda-

"I'll try to keep it up"

[​IMG]
    "I'm really happy with the first stage. At the beginning I had some trouble easing into the race due to a slight problem with the suspension, but afterwards everything went smoothly. We'll work on it to ride even faster tomorrow. I'll try to keep up this pace in the next few stages."

Coma-

"I took things easy"

[​IMG]
    "First days at the Dakar are never easy. It's difficult to find and maintain your pace straight away. So I took things fairly easy and, as the day wore on, I got the right feelings and found the right pace. All things considered, I'm happy because it's important to clear the first stage without running into trouble, and that's just what I did."

Goncalves-

"Everything's going to plan for me and Honda"

[​IMG]
    "It was quite difficult for a first special, with a very slippery and tricky 180 km course, especially on the mountain sides: if you fall there, you're going all the way down! So I decided to take it easy at the beginning, but little by little I eased into the pace and gained some confidence. At the end I accelerated and posted the fifth best time on the finish line. I'm happy because my teammate Joan Barreda won the stage, which means I'll start just behind him tomorrow and we'll be able to work as a team. So everything's going to plan for me and Honda."
  6. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Aussies are going ok, Grabham +4'50 and Deiner +21'00"
    But Troy O'Conner is only just behind Deiner at +21'30" which is non too shabby either !

I'm well impressed with Allan coming in at +34'29" He finished two hours ahead of me earlier this year at the Condo 750 which is a two day event so I'm really interested to see how his speed stacks up over the course of the rally :D

Clayton Jacobsen finished +54'10"
    And Mark Davidson came in at +1.00'6"

Easy stage I guess and the last three are all in it just for a finish but it's good to see them all getting along and not stuck by the side of the road :D

Neil
  7. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    What's the go with the Kawasaki's this year, only 5 in total and after D1 3 are coming 54, 55 and 56 place, must be riding as a team. :deal

Cheers Fogo...:freaky
  8. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <table id="resplive" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="even fin track" title="081 BELTRAMI FRANCESCO (ITA) on ASS at +01:48:46 (167)"><td>167</td><td>(174)</td><td>081 - BELTRAMI FRANCESCO (ITA)
    </td><td> HM 450
    </td><td>12:14:15</td><td>(174)</td><td>+00:11:50</td><td>(155)</td><td class="slow">+01:48:46</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="resplive" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="even fin track" title="137 PERALTA CRISTIAN (CHL) on ASS at +02:41:08 (171)"><td>171</td><td>(125)</td><td>137 - PERALTA CRISTIAN (CHL)
    </td><td> HONDA CRF X 450 CC
    </td><td>11:22:00</td><td>(125)</td><td class="slow">+00:13:04</td><td class="slow">(160)</td><td class="prob">+02:41:08</td></tr><tr class="odd fin" title="096 ESCALE ORIOL (ESP) on ASS at +02:54:07 (172)"><td>172</td><td>(87)</td><td>096 - ESCALE ORIOL (ESP)
    </td><td>

</td><td>11:12:30</td><td>(87)</td><td class="prob">+01:02:52</td><td class="prob">(173)</td><td class="fast">+02:54:07</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="resplive" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="even fin" title="178 LIBRALESSO PAOLO (ITA) on ASS at +02:38:48 (171)"><td>171</td><td>(157)</td><td>178 - LIBRALESSO PAOLO (ITA)
    </td><td> WRF450 FPR
    </td><td>11:30:00</td><td>(157)</td><td>+00:09:57</td><td>(148)</td><td class="prob">+02:38:48</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Hopefully Oriol has not had to abandon Gilbert and he & Fred are nearly to ASS! But yeah, might as well:
    :clap
    :clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap
    :clap
  9. redhat

redhat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like Oriol is in, Gilbert still on SS (or timing isn't transferred yet
    Frederic still on SS also, only those two should come in now.

*edit: well, that's my first :205 penalty
  10. Screamingeagle3

Screamingeagle3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    eurosport int is ON
  11. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    open the page url in vlc and record it

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZY4TvOh6eto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A hard day in the office for the back markers.

Something must have happened to fimp because he was only 22 minutes behind at CP1. ....Oriol passed him for sure.

Getting worried for him.
  13. 8340SU

8340SU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Faria:

"I didn't bother much with this first stage, rode in a cautious pace without making mistakes and this 12th position may be important to get a good result tomorrow where we face the first dunes in a special timed with twice the miles that we had today . "
  14. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a back foot a little.

I cast my vote against separating talk about cars and trucks from the main firehose.
    Things will even themselves on their own.
    Fight the power!

Can anyone interpret the 10 and 20 minutes gaps from the first few to some fast contenders on a short special?
    Was the terrain difficult?
    (please don't say it's a long race)*
  15. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand why it seems like a good idea but I think it will be difficult to execute effectively. There has been some good crossover chat in the past in the F5irehose and I for one will miss that. Maybe it's progress though, we'll see....:evil
  17. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dayum!
    3rd Firefox crash of the stage!
    :becca
  18. Screamingeagle3

Screamingeagle3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now thats just mean :rofl:rofl:rofl
  19. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great link pebble! A nice summary

Reposted here for those trying to catch up:

Red Bull KTM Factory rider Marc Coma launched his bid for a fourth Dakar Rally title when riders set out on Stage One of the world&#8217;s toughest rally on Sunday. At the end of a long day Coma finished second to Joan Barreda of Spain just 37 seconds behind the leader.

Coma said he took things relatively easy on Day One, saying: "It was not easy with just a special of 180 km and on the first day of the Dakar you don't yet really have the right feeling. But I am happy for what we managed today. I took things fairly easy but the race is long and this is just the beginning."

All four of Coma&#8217;s KTM factory teammates were within six minutes of the leader. Chaleco Lopez of Chile was well placed at sixth fastest, trailing only by 3 minutes 24 seconds. Ruben Faria finished eleventh fastest at 5 minutes 11 and Jordi Villadoms was thirteenth at just under six minutes. Riders are competing on the brand new KTM 450 Rally bike.

Lopez was also satisfied with his ride on the opening day saying it was "'very technical". "I'm very happy but it was a long first day with an early start. But I didn't have any crashes and I have a good feeling for the new motorcycle."

Faria too came away satisfied with Day One: "Today was just a small special but a long liaison. The special was not so easy. There were a lot of turns, left and right and up and down but the bike is great and everything went well."

At eleventh place KTM Australia&#8217;s Ben Grabham was the fastest of the three official KTM-supported riders, trailing the lead time by just 4:50. Kuba Przygonski of Poland came in at twentieth at 8:23 and South African Riaan van Niekerk finished twenty-seventh at 11:14.

KTM Team Manager Alex Doringer was a contented man at the end of Day One. "I'm very happy with the performance of the riders and the bike. Marc and Chaleco were perfect today and Villadoms and Ruben took it easy and used the stage to settle in to get a good feeling. Grabham did a fantastic ride and Jakub and Riaan both finished the day smiling. they are sure then can improve as the rally goes on."

While riders had a total of 809 km starting at Rosario, Argentina and finishing at San Luis, it was just 180 km in the middle of the stretch was timed special. The timed special sent riders over narrow tracks with challenging stony sections and blind jumps that called upon good concentration and ended in a climb up to 2400 m.

The first 20 all finished within 10 minutes of the day&#8217;s fastest time, however they all face a bigger challenge in Monday&#8217;s Stage Two. They face another long ride of 724 km from San Luis to San Rafael, including 359 km of timed special. Organizers promise that the first part of Monday&#8217;s special stage will be the fastest of the 2014 rally. Then for the last 100 km riders go straight into the grey dunes of Nihuil and will challenge even the most experienced rider and force them to draw on all their technical skills.&#8232;

Dakar Results
    &#8232;Stage 1: Rosario to San Luis &#8211; 629 km liaison, 180 km special = 809 km
    Unofficial after first 40 riders
    1, Joan Barreda, Spain, Honda, 2 hours 25:31
    2, Marc Coma, Spain, KTM at 37 seconds
    3, Cyril Despres, France, Yamaha at 1:40
    4, Alain Duclos, France, Sherco at 1:56
    5, Paolo Goncalves Portugal, Honda at 2:25&#8232;6, Chaleco Lopez, Chile, KTM at 3:24
    7, Joan Pedrero, Spain, Sherco, 3:47
    8, Michael Metge, France, Yamaha, 4:33
    9, Sam Sunderland, UK, Honda, at 4.33
    10, Alessandro Botturi, Italy Speedbrain 4:48
    Other KTM
    11, Ben Grabham, Australia, KTM 4:50
    12, Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM at 5:11
    13, David Casteu, France, KTM at 5:32
    14, Jordi Villadoms, Spain, KTM at 5:51
    17, Stefan Svitko, Slovakia, KTM at 6:57
    20, Kuba Przygonski, Poland, KTM at 8:23
    26, Ivan Jakes, Slovakia, KTM at 10:42
    27, Riaan van Niekerk, South Africa, KTM at 11:14
  20. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    :nod
    The f5irehose is where all flows together. We're naturally most interested in the bikes, but if something comes up in the other classes (everybody loves the trucks! nobody cares for the quads!), it'll find its place here too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.