2013 Dakar Pre-Event Discussion

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I find it hard to believe people knocking the heros of the Dakar. The mini isn't a "mini" its just a body on a custom race car...everyone needs a sponsor. It is a 14+ day race and reliability is as big a factor as performance. The guy who wins did it right, the guy who shows up with a badass car that can't finish did it wrong...plain and simple. Speed, power and performance are only one factor in the Dakar. This separates the Dakar from races like the baja races and other shorter rallies (amongst other things like chasing silly waypoints, etc :rofl).

I enjoy Robby as much as the next guy, he is entertaining and good in that he brings more interest in the race for North Americans. I've never quite understodd the US mentality of us versus them... These people aren't racing to represent their country (although having a country sponsor some competitors is a very cool idea, better than handing out money to people who are too lazy to work :nod )..

Just my two cents...23 days until go time :pynd
  2. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    And we know Gordon wouldn't do this because he's hit a rider and failed to take action?

Oh wait... Close doesn't count. miss by an inch miss by a mile doesn't matter.
  3. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
  4. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I guess we will find out very soon.

But I'm guessing he will blame to organization for placing the bike/spectators in his way to slow him down...:lol3

But in all honesty I couldn't give a toss what happens to RG, as long as he doesn't hurt anyone else, because in January my attention will be on the bikes and the cars will be a minor distraction.

After all, the cars are only there to give the bike riders something to do when they get to old to race a bike competitively.:deal
  5. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Jordi Viladoms Dakar 2013 Presentation

Today in Barcelona, Bordone-Ferrari refugee, Jordi Viladoms presented his team structure for attacking the 2013 Dakar rally. Pulled together in the eleventh hour, Viladoms gathered the support of BMW Barcelona to secure a Husqvarna TE499RR from Speedbrain and a support package through Tamarugal XC out of Chile who provides the support and logistics for a number of competitors including Chaleco Lopez and Daniel Gouet.

The big news emerging from today’s presentation is the continuation in a sporting manager role for fellow Bordone-Ferrari refugee, Jordi Arcarons. Arcarons continues his strong support and guidance of Viladoms as the pair of Jordi’s try to keep the 2012 momentum going. 2012 was a banner year for Viladoms finishing fourth in the Dakar Rally and winning the Sardegna Rally on his way to second in the FIM Cross Country Rallies World Championship standings a mere six points behind champion and fellow Spaniard, Marc Coma.

Jordi Viladoms flanked by his mechanic, David Palmada and manage, Jordi Arcarons
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Husqvarna TE499RR
    [​IMG]
  6. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "US vs Them" is our culture. Look at the NFL Football. We are as hard on ourselves as anyone. It makes for sales and sales make for money to pay people to race. I know some do it for free, hell a lot of participants pay for the chance to participate. I have contributed to several racers to give them the money to play.

It is a show and shows cost money, some people make money on this show, at least the winners probably do. All the more fun to follow and generate interest and interest generates money.

The ASO has figured this out, the beverage companies have figured it out, and if Peterhansel thinks he is above that, I do believe he is delusional.
  7. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    I don't know if this actually a reflection of something meaningful (don't know how meaningful/accurate Google analytics are), but it's kind of interesting to look at who is watching that Robby Gordon video. Viewers in Mexico have more views than those in the U.S.

[​IMG]
  8. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :nah Maybe that's your culture, not mine. At least not in racing. I root for and support the guys I like, regardless of their country of origin.

The rest of 'em are just a bunch of tossers. :lol3
  9. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    If you're only watching the bikes, you're missing half the race.

Make that 2/3s if you include the trucks.
  10. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

I do.

[​IMG]
  11. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    wonder if this had Quinn Cody graphics on a month ago
  12. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I watch them just because they are on, but they don't interest me at all.

I find cars an incredibly boring form of transport and not much more than that.

I do enjoy watching the trucks but I don't care about the result.

I have a passion for motorcycles, not cars.
  13. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gather you've never been to Europe when the world cup is on?

Europe is FAR more nationalistic that the US will ever be. Europe meaning all those people up and over there to the left of us.
  14. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    +1
    only in europe it's not so much "US vs them" it's more "UK vs them" ;p

Whilst I'm here, can anyone recommend a Dakar vid? I quite enjoyed the "Race to Dakar" stuff, was wonderng what else is out there?
  15. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1, I agree with you.

I simply mean't we are very competitive. I should have used us vs them, to differentiate USA vs Them.
  16. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Them trucks are just crazy!
  17. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Not this one, that'd be the one that Alessandro Botturi is on. :D
  18. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    catch up.