Garmin Zumo: Traffic Management (TMC) problem

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by drew-at-large, Jul 11, 2007.

1. drew-at-large

drew-at-large Outhouse Race Team

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a problem with their Garmin Zumo's Traffic Management feature?

I have a GTM 21 (the GTM 20 for Europe) and GTM 12 receivers (antennas), however, while the unit recognizes the GTMs (it will pick-up a TMC provider over FM), it does not have the TMC functionality. The "traffic" icon at the start menu to the left of the settings and MP3 icons at the Start Menu is grey and not working (doesn't open to the traffic info), and the unit does not receive any traffic updates at all. It's annoying to drive in a traffic jam with a GPS that has a TMC feature.

In Germany, and parts of France, the TMC over FM is free. So, I doubt it is a subscription issue since none is needed here. I contacted Garmin support in the US (because I got the Zumo from the US) and the tech feels both my GTMs are the issue and that my unit needs a subscription service set up. Given that TMC is free here, I think that is a bit odd. My other GPS (not a Garmin) has the TMC feature and it works flawlessly here. As does my friends with their various GPSs that possess the TMC feature.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Drew
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Repost this to "Layin down tracks"
    That's the GPS specific section of this site.

JR356
  3. drew-at-large

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I appreciate it...
  4. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    That's were it is? :scratch

Given that a US GPS would require a subscription, I honestly don't know how you would trouble shoot this in the EU other than to hook up your receiver to an EU zumo and see what happens first.
  5. Boxerbro

Boxerbro Free Speech!!!

Oddometer:
    Do you have the latest firmware updates for your Zumo? I had many problems receiving data from my GTM12 until I got 3.30 update. Now the TMC works 95% of the time here in the UK.
  6. drew-at-large

Oddometer:
    I did the update. After I did and plugged the GTM 12, it indicated that the traffic receiver software was updating. It then -- for the first time -- recognized the GTM 12, but without the TMC functionality like with the GTM 21.

The Garmin tech I corresponded with in the US seemed to think that the GTMs were the problem, however, two GTMs with the same problem leads me to believe the problem lies with the unit. Before I ship it off back to the US, I wanted to see if anyone could help troubleshoot it.

I'll likely ship it (and the GTMs) off next week should I be unable to find a solution here.

BTW, the GTM 20 also works in Europe. A friend has the GTM 20 over here and it works fine with the TMC service. An FM receiver is an FM receiver. The nice thing about the GTM 20 is the FM antenna is part of the power cord -- versus the GTM with its FM and power cable separate.
  7. drew-at-large

Oddometer:
    I mistakenly put the original post in "Equipment"
  8. drew-at-large

Oddometer:
    After troubleshooting to no end -- and sending my Zumo to Garmin USA, getting it back (with the TMC still not functioning), more troubleshooting, contacting Garmin UK, more troubleshooting, and being passed off to Garmin Germany (worthless -- they did not possess accurate info) by Garmin UK, re-contacting Garmin USA after my conversation with Garmin in Germany, more troubleshooting, updating my MapSource software, more troubleshooting -- it appears a new Zumo will be heading my way after months of having my Zumo without the TMC function. It appears my Zumo was afflicted by the same problem a collegue had with his Zumo (which was exchanged fairly quickly months ago). We bought our Zumos from the same authorized dealer soon after they hit the streets. I guess we got into a batch of Zumos with TMC functionality problems. Thumbs up for Mr Candy and Garmin USA for finally sorting this out. :thumbTraffic in Germany sucks and I'll be glad to have a Zumo with the TMC function that works...
  9. ECM

ECM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, seems your problem is solved.

I was to suggest (and you might still want to do so) to run the webupdater again.
    But instead of just loading firmware 3.30 (if it is not on it already) see if the TMC update is available in the next screen. That is the screen where the voices and textfiles updates are as well.
  10. drew-at-large

Oddometer:
    Thx. I tried everything before they finally said "yep. time to send it on in." (paraphasing) I should have in back in about 7-10 days! :clap
  11. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the TMC built into the Zumo or is an external accessory (like with the Nuvi)?
  12. drew-at-large

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, while the capability is built into the unit, it requires an external antenna (GTM 12 Antenna (car and motorycle use) or GTM 20 or GTM 21 (car use)) and power. The TMC function will not work on battery power.

The GTM antennas are not cheap and it is a pity. Other manufacturer's GPS units include the TMC antenna as part of the package -- but none are like the Zumo (designed for a motorcycle and waterproof). I guess Garmin makes some good money off its accessories.

Although I live in Germany, I bought my GTM on-line from Navicar (http://www.navicar.nl/) in the Netherlands. Best prices I found on-line and they are an authorized Garmin shop. The GTM 12 is all you really would need and it cost 99 EURO.
  13. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info
  14. drew-at-large

Oddometer:
    Well, I received my replacement Zumo... and it has the same problem. More troubleshooting with Garmin USA does show (prove) my Zumo recognizes the GTM receivers (GTM 12, GTM 20, and GTM 21) and is receiving traffic updates over FM (like the last unit). It appears the unit is not processing the TMC data it is receiving. The problem is puzzling Garmin techs apparently:huh... whom is working to get this problem resolved. :baldy Despite the problem, good support thus far.