Old airhead clutch part. Whats it for?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Rob Farmer, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know next to zip about any airhead older than a /5. I recently bought a job lot of airhead parts on Ebay. Wrapped in a bag was this device for reducing the clutch lever pressure.

Any idea what model airhead it's for?

[​IMG]
  2. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Probably a home-made jobbie for the /5, 6, 7 series.... not terribly elegant, is it...!

:scratch
  3. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've offered up against my /7 but cannot get it to line up with any of the existing mounts. Looks like it's going in the bin.
  4. puncar thogoole

puncar thogoole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't call the airhead clutches heavy. Looks like a solution looking for a problem.
  6. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one of those on my R90 and LOVE IT.
    It really does cut clutch pull in half which is SOOOO nice sitting in Atlanta traffic.
  7. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    They are supposed to be handy for finessing grabby clutches too, as they provide very exact control of clutch lever.
  8. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
  9. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeez...my /7 clutch is like a feather compared to my Harley clutch, which is absolutely not a problem for me to operate...how much easier does it really need to be? LOL
  10. Jasper ST4

Jasper ST4 Guest

I agree, if an airhead clutch is too much you need to work on your hand strength. And yes, I've used mine for commuting, first 5 years I had it I had no other form of transportation.
  11. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I have had a /2, now have a /6 and a "later clutch".... while I have no problem with the old-style (/2 and /6), the clutch actuation is noticeably easier with the "later clutch" using the clutch carrier assembly.

I think that the EasyClutch was developed 'way back when, originally for those with "softer hands".....:confused (before pc-ness, when we could lay the issue on women who wanted an easier clutch!!)....brings to mind a friend back in the early '70's who had a souped-up norton with a clutch that needed the assistance of my other hand to fully disengage.... ever tried to do that??!.....hmmm.....rode it only once, got it back and handed it off to stronger hands than mine....:knary