GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hodakaguy, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up another 530XCW and now it's time to get it set up :-). First up...get the bars up in the air. On my last 530 I ran the Enduro Engineering bar risers with a SCOTTS sub mount. My current bike came set up with a SCOTTS sub mount and damper already installed, but I decided to go a different direction this time, enter the GatosBros sub mount/bar riser setup. The GatosBros unit has a few advantages over the SCOTTS/Enduro Engineering setup that I felt would equate to a more reliable bar setup. Read below to see the differences between the two setups.

Here's the SCOTTS setup on the current 530.

[​IMG]

Here's the Scotts sub mount removed from the bike and sitting next to the GatosBros unit. A few differences are present here. First the Gatosbros mount has a lower profile than the Scotts unit, this will be good news for shorter riders that want a sub mount without as much rise in the bars. The other major difference, and the one that really sold me is the GatosBros mount uses two through bolts all the way into the upper triple clamp. The bolts travel through the risers as well, making a really solid unit. The GatosBros mount is also fabricated out of 7075 aluminum, which is stronger and more $$ to manufacture than 6061 which is what most mounts are manufactured from.

[​IMG]

You can see the two through holes in the GatosBros unit, where the Scotts has one through bolt and the risers/bar clamps thread into the sub mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**Here's the Scotts mount with the Enduro Engineering risers, you can see how they assemble in these pics and why it's a weaker system. Since the mount attaches to the upper triple with just one through bolt the risers can only attach with one bolt as well, leaving a small bump on the back of each riser to trap the risers together as you stack them. I used this setup for 1000's of miles on my past 530's and luckily never crashed with the setup :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**Here's the GatosBros setup, the two bolts both go all the way through the risers, the sub mount and into the upper triple making a rock solid package. You order your risers in the height you need, they are available in 5mm increments. I ordered the 20mm risers for my setup. Machine work and finish are top notch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weight of the Scotts mount with EE risers, 12.5oz.

[​IMG]

Weight of the GatosBros mount with risers, slightly more due to the longer bolts: 13 5/8" oz.

[​IMG]

Bolting up the new mount.

[​IMG]

Finished! Fit's like a glove and feels sooooo much better with the bars up the stratosphere again :-) If anyone is looking for a well engineered sub mount I would highly recommend the GatosBros unit! I added a CleanSpeed cable guide on the Damper to keep the cables in check and stop them from wearing on the bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added a set of GatosBros hand guard ends today, they really give the end of the bars a finished off look. I love small details like this!

Before....

[​IMG]

And after.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  2. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Nice those guys do great work. That looks like a super setup. Now get some HDB handguards on there for the ADV vendor win...:D