Desert sleds- post 'em here!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by jehu, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Charlie Hockie
    [​IMG]
    1957 SGVMC H&H 1st - CHARLIE HOCKIE 2nd - ROGER WHITE 3rd - BUD EKINS
    AND A VERY YOUNG EDDIE MULDER BEHIND HOCKIE
  2. 305racer

305racer Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pre-production 1962 Honda CL72's(250cc) ridden by David Ekins & Bill Robertson one thousand miles in the first ever non-stop race against the clock in Mexico from Tijuana to LaPaz, Baja California. Their record time of 39hrs 56min stood until 1967.
  3. 305racer

305racer Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer:
    My buddy Larry rode this '74 TR5T(w/ the stock underslung exhaust) in the 2003 Barstow to Vegas race. Bein a heavy 500cc 4 stroke twin it qualifys as a desert sled in my book:evil
    [​IMG]

It is hard as hell to find good pictures of pre '70's desert racers.
  4. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    Nice, eh?
  5. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice.
    But I think it's a trials bike...and it's definitely a single! I still like!
  6. btl68

btl68 Turmoil and tinfoil

Oddometer:
    Just some dumb actor dude...

Attached Files:

7. btl68

Oddometer:
    some other, more famous actor dude...:evil

Attached Files:

8. btl68

Oddometer:
    :d

Attached Files:

9. btl68

Oddometer:
    :eek1

Attached Files:

10. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to this. Anyone else going to be there?

<B><BIG style="COLOR: rgb(51,51,255)"><BIG><BIG>Catalina Grand Prix 50th Reunion Classic Bike Show </BIG></BIG></BIG>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<BIG style="COLOR: rgb(51,51,255)"><BIG>April 26-27, 2008</BIG></BIG>
    </B><BIG style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">
    The jewel of Southern California, Santa Catalina Island, will once again welcome motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the world as Eddie Mulder, Ltd celebrates the 50th anniversary of the last Catalina Grand Prix race with a 50th Reunion and Classic Motorcycle Show the weekend of April 26-27. A rare opportunity, as motorcycles have not been allowed on the island in many years, for commemorating the free-wheeling, adventurous, legendary racing pioneers of yesteryear. Although not a race, representatives of the glory days of racing both human and machine will be featured including unique Catalina G.P. competition bikes. The late great 1955 Catalina GP winner Bud Ekins will be honored. 200 of the most beautiful and award winning machines will be decorating the city of Avalons Front Street much like a Vintage Art Show on two wheels. Each with it's own storied past and competing this time for top honors in their show classes. Special guests will be on hand for photos and interviews during Saturdays Reunion and Bike Show and Sunday will be a BBQ and Award ceremony at Descanso Beach for the top three in each class. This picturesque island getaway is the ideal locale to bring the family for a weekend of motorcycle nostalgia and togetherness celebrating the world famous Catalina Grand Prix final race in 1958. Either as a returning fan or for those first-timers across the water, Catalina Island will be an exciting and unique getaway for celebrating the motorcycle world of 50 years ago. For Bike Show entry forms or info please call the hotline @ 661-944-1184. (Bike Show is limited to 200 entries, limit of two entries per person)
    For info on Catalina Island go to
    www.catalinachamber.com</BIG>
  11. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Boy that pic of Willie & Ida brings back memeories. While Charlie Hockie & Bill Thorwaldson (Charlie & Bill = CB Motors) had a shop in Gardena, Willie & Ida ran Hockies over in Carson. Ossa & Hodaka were the two brands they sold that stand out in my memory. Thier son Danny was was a super fast kid at the local tracks and later at Ascot in both TT & 1/2 mile.

While the Checkers tend to get a lot of headliners, the Prospectors back in the day had some fast riders (not to mention characters) too! The Messers (Father Bill, sons Bobby & David [aka; Luke]) Lunds (Jack & Alan), Jesse Goldberg, & Jack Short were all Prospectors I called friend.
  13. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Ha! Ha! Ha! BORT!!! I totally forgot about Balls Out Racing Team! Boy is my memory going fast, I swore CB Motors was in Gardena. I guess it's been a while since I've been in that area.
  14. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    No, I was in a club called Desert Turtles, but like I said I had a lot of friends that were Prospectors. I worked with Bobby & Luke Messer at EC Birt's Precision Cycle in Lawndale. But I used to hang with Alan Lund over at CB Motors, drinking beer with Steve Elsworth.

I'm now in the Lost Coyotes and occasionally race as a Open Magnum. I post on the D-37 forum as Desert Turtle.

Another friend of mine Charlie Curnutt, called his shock shop WFO Industries. (Thats Wide Fucking Open for those of you who didn't know.)

To get back on subject here's a pic of what could be one of the last real desert sleds being raced. It's Larkin Wright on a Trumpet he soloed on the 25th Baja 1000. Larkin said: "25th Baja and a 25 year old bike...why not?"

[​IMG]
  16. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. PANTERA

PANTERA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's another one of those actor types on a desert sled. Looks kind of familiar!!:rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    The SL350 looks like a 100 under John Wayne. I wonder what the thingies attached to the front downtube, laying across the rear fender and attached to the fork clamps are.
  19. PANTERA

PANTERA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a movie bike, those are attachment points for rigging cameras.
  20. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...onna Rickman Triumph....oh yeah...that guy had all the cool toys.