Dakota Adventure Loop (DakAL) 900 miles. Mt. Rushmore. South Dakota.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by blasterbill, Sep 10, 2013.

1. SSG B

SSG B Rounds complete

Oddometer:
    :lurk In for the next "go around" Or, Jon B and I will have to schedule a trip in 2014 / 2015 or so!
  2. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report, Jack. I also acquired a WR250R a couple months ago fully outfitted for ADV riding with the oversize tank and I put Wolfman bags on it like yours. We need to do some riding together. PM me and we can see what our schedules look like.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey I want to try that ride! The story telling and the pictures were awesome. I love South Dakota too. Such a secret!

I rode a 950 through there in 2005. I explored, but not enough. I ride a WRR now too. And for the same reasons. Mainly, I can still pick it up. :D

My WRR is in AZ now so I can visit her to ride the west. Appreciate any tracks you have.

-P
  4. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for taking a look & the comments. There were many times during the ride that Scott & I would talk about bringing others along & how much fun it would be to show them the "Backside" of South Dakota.

Pantah....Tracks for the ride are available online at www.dakotaadventureloop.com

Timmer....One of your Montana rides would be awesome!

Powerhouse......It was like Deja Vu all over again!

Rokklym...Combining it with the TSDAT would give a full week of adventure!

Many of you may have seen or heard on the News about the snowstorm in the Black Hills area. We finished this ride on Tuesday & headed home Wednesday. Two days later, Friday, a tremendous snowstorm dumped up to 5 feet of snow throughout Western South Dakota, knocking down up to 4000 electric poles & disconnecting electricity for several thousand residents. The most devastating were the livestock losses! Reports of up to 75,000 cattle & sheep were killed during the blizzard, most smothered by the deep snow! Pictures of carcasses piled up by Payloaders are heartbreaking. I wonder about the Rancher we briefly met herding his cattle to winter pastures. It's beautiful out there but, can change so quick!

Sleddog
    Lone Stranger likes this.
  5. Lonesome Dave

Lonesome Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sleddog, thanks for the great pics and ride report. I've ridden many of these areas of the DakAL, just not the official "DakAL," yet! The Jasper burn and Cement Ridge are some of my favorites. I've never ridden up north in the Custer National Forest, but have been in and around there many times over the years. I knew it would be great scenery when BlasterBill presented this ride to us last winter. (Thanks Bill for all the work) :clap

I just wanted to let people know who are planning the DakAL for early spring next year to expect problems with fallen trees. Its already a problem due to the bug trees, but this storm really tore up the hills/trees. I've lived hear most of life, and I'm kinda old, but this storm easily fits in the top few storms. Over this winter and into spring, I'm sure ATVers and others will be opening up the more popular trails. The forest service may help, but the government is "broke." There are already trails that bug trees have blocked all this summer, that were never cleared. I'm not trying to be gloom & doom here just wanted to inform. I joked on our local forum last week about everyone building chainsaw scabbards for their bikes!

I will bet BlasterBill and others will be checking the route as time and weather permits and will be eventually posted on his site. Another good source for local info is DakotaDualSportRiders.com That group is always willing to help. LD
  6. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to this ride report SledDog--------I can see myself up there next year-----really something very different.

BigDog
  7. DeArmey

DeArmey All right

Oddometer:
    What seat is that?
    Lone Stranger likes this.
  8. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jack, good to see you were able to finish the ride. I'm looking forward to riding it next year.
  9. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    It's a Russell Day Long "Sport Seat"

Sleddog
  10. Great Buffalo

Great Buffalo Great Plains Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR Sleddog.

I think your gonna see a bit of chtter on the DDSR forum. Will be working on trying to get together with some of these guys to do this along with the TSDT sometime next year, maybe part of the Spring Rally festivities.
  11. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Jack, thanks for the RR.

I need to get back up there and ride. That loop is on my to do list.
  12. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    Eddie, There were many times during the ride, I thought of you & our conversation at your table:clap

Combining the TSDAT & DakAL into one long ride would be a Fantastic Ride! We should meet in Mitchell for a bite to eat sometime:deal

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read & comment.

Sleddog
  13. 810H4Z4RD

810H4Z4RD Old n00b

Oddometer:
    I love puttering around in the black hills, and if I ever get a gps would like to follow your loop. Thanks for the pics and report.

For anyone planning to ride the black hills area I'd also suggest doing it sooner rather than later ... we're losing access to roads, trails and campgrounds around here at an alarming rate.
  14. RACINGTHESUN

RACINGTHESUN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you for all the work you put into making this RR. I love riding in SD, beautiful country. Will be doing riding on the dual sport up there next year, lord willing.
    Doug
  15. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    Make sure you get a GPS that'll follow tracks. The automotive units usually don't do that.

Thank you for taking a look. To see more of South Dakota from the Backside, the TSDAT a mostly gravel/dirt route that goes across the state East to West.

read about it here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719982&highlight=sleddog

Sleddog
  16. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sleddog,

Maps Question!! :)

Four of us are riding the Dakal in June, 2014!!

I see you used a Montana 600 for this 2013 ride!!

I just bought a Montana 650 & need to know what Topo Map to order!! I'll then load Bill's "Tracks" through our 5 day ride!!

Alfred
    Dahlonega, GA.

17. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    Alfred, I didn't use Topo maps but, if you want
    go with the Topo's that include South
    Dakota. I used City Navigator & base maps on
    the Montana.

Enjoy your ride!
  18. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ordered the GPS City 650 (motorcycle bundle) that comes with the N. America Street DVD!! I have a Zumo on my Street bike & it has all the N. GA. gravel on it so I'll load the Dakal tracks on Basecamp & see what it looks like on the Zumo!!

Thanks again, , , & we're looking forward to seeing your neck of the woods!!

Alfred

19. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    Being that quite a bit of the route is not on established "roads" I wouldn't bother with putting them on the Zumo it cannot follow the tracks & will keep rerouting you via roads.
    If you load the tracks & navigate via them, you'll have no problem following with the Montana.

I think I mentioned it the the RR report. If you will be staying in motels it would be a good idea to make reservations in Buffalo, SD. Because of the Bakken Oil field boom in the area, that motel could be filled with workers.

The Black Hills are beautiful, your going to have fun!

Sleddog
  20. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely looks like a fun ride!