Scenic City Rides (Chattanooga)

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by SquirrelyGrl, Oct 29, 2012.

1. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    What is a blat?
  2. SquirrelyGrl

SquirrelyGrl Squirrely Girl

Oddometer:
    Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
    Pics Monte?
    Where'd you go?

:ear

Blat?
  3. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Blat = ride.
    Took the back roads to Spring City, then climbed up on the Cumberland Plateau before exploring some dirt roads which took me to the top of Hinch mountain, where there is an excellent tag spot (for those of you who play that game).:deal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This graveyard was located off a side road on the side of the mountain. Most of the stones are from the 19th century. No way a modern hearse make it back in there. This would probably make a decent tag spot too, as its not listed on the gps.:evil
    [​IMG]
    I saw a Transalp parked off Summer Cit road and talked to the rider for awhile. He was able to fill me in on some the area. Thanks for the road tips Larry. It turned out to be a nice 196 mile blat. Unfortunately, the tires still have some tread left.:cry
  4. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I hate I missed that bluk... brat... whatever... the ride thingie. I am still open to a ride in prentice cooper after work if anyone is game this week.

Are we gonna go try to revenge our trivia loss and drink beer today? lol.
  5. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Awww! Tim I wish I had looked earlier and saw your post!

Just a heads up, rumor has it some peeps are wanting to get a camping trip together next weekend November 16 Friday thru Sunday (?) for Tellico.

Anyone interested?

:ear

Monte! I like your photos! I woulda loved to have seen that beast of the tiger in action there! I hear it does some gnarly stuff. Glad you got out this Sunday. I just ordered a Michelin for my DR and hopefully it'll be here in the next couple of days. Tomorrow I order the clutch assembly from Garry's
  6. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Ride tomorrow? Dirt or street anyone? Tim? Monte? Jman?
  7. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could but a girl talked me into going mountain biking out of town somehow. ugg.
  8. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    Hey folks,
    I'm going on a street ride tomorrow, Saturday. If anybody's interested, I'm leaving from the Bluegrass Grille tomorrow morning, 8:30ish. Moderate to quick pace, hopefully an all-dayer. Route and return times not yet finalized. Maybe I'll see somebody there.

http://bluegrassgrillchattanooga.com/
  9. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Hey hey! I'll be there for breakfast fur sure! :evil. If I had a running bike I'd join you. If Tim wasn't trying to impress a girl, I'm sure he would join you on the ride :wink:
  10. fullmonte

Oddometer:
    Don't be so glum. This might be the last nice day of the year to wear shorts. Leaving for the Ocoee white water center MTB trails in a bit.
  11. SquirrelyGrl

Oddometer:
    Hey Monte!
    Sounds like you were working hard Saturday :evil , I saw your post over in the DOG thread
  12. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Okay. I want some ideas. What I want to do is come up with a truly awesome adventure day ride starting and ending in Chattanooga that I can ride this coming Saturday. The more off road and scenic the better but great twisties thrown in to link things is welcome to. I am thinking it should go out through Tellico but I am open to suggestions. It needs to be a good challenge for med to big adventure bikes while still fun for smaller bikes. I personally don't care if it ends up being a thousand miles round trip but lets keep it to something that can be done in 6 hours with a couple of breaks. Maybe 300 miles or so? So I pose two questions to everyone...

What routes would you include? Where are some good places to plan lunch and short breaks? Give me your absolute best area adventure segments to piece together into a great ride.

Do you wanna join me? Joining in and dropping out along the route is always an option to.

So there it is... what are your ideal adventure segments in the area? Presumably we can meet at a breakfast spot and end at a good watering hole.
  13. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    What's this about camping this weekend?
  14. fullmonte

Oddometer:
    I can think of several great rides that meet your criteria. However, 300 miles in 6 hours won't have much "adventure" as it is an all pavement ride.:deal You could do the Cohutta/Tumbling Creek loop (75+ miles of continuous dirt) in 6 hours if you don't stop much and eat lunch in the woods. I wear a Camelback and bring energy bars. Other DS rides take longer because the dirt roads/trails are farther away, but the flip side is you get to ride the twisties to get there. I would love to join you, but Saturday is booked.

edit: Wife just informed me she has to work this Sunday to make up for being off two days next week. Talk about a wrench in the plans. Looks like great riding weather for this weekend too.
  15. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:

Actually I was meaning 6 hours of riding plus the breaks etc... I was also assuming a fair amount of payment between dirt hence the 300 miles. That's 2 hours for 200 miles of road and 4 hours for a hundred miles of dirt right? lmao. So let me revise my criteria... Saturday OR Sunday OR both days and camping is an option.

I am not strong in the determining feasibility department.... I figure pretty much everything is feasible. lol.

I am wide open. I am looking for as much adventure as i can get during daylight without too much rushing. I don'tind riding pavement in the dark though if its worth it. Just trying to keep it to something others would be open to as well

So can you categorize the dirt course you described? I will be on my 1200gsa and the roads are still a little muddy so keeping that in mind I am looking for challenging dirt with lots to see along the way.

Houston valley was fun so certainly anything up to that level of challenge is okay but keep in mind houston valley was dry.

Thanks though, I will go see if I can figure out what you were referring yo on the maps.

Anything else?
  16. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    ahhh... I see Monte, that actually was one of the areas I was thinking about. I have wondered around a little on the TN side but not much on the GA side. That is an intriguing area!
  17. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    You missed a good ride in the Cohuttas last Saturday. Actually went to a spot SloDon showed us north of hwy 64 that I had never seen. I like days like that.

Have you taken the GSA up Rock Creek/Tatum Lead trail in Murray Co. behind Peeples Lake?
  18. DriftDragon

DriftDragon Wanderer

Oddometer:
    The only offroad trail I actually have been on north 64 is the road up to buck bald. I am horrible with the names of places as my extreme adhd makes remembering names of things very difficult for me. I confuse similar sounding words alot so where on one occasion I may know exactly what county Murray is, The next time we talk I would use the name fully convinced we are discussing Marion county. LOL. It makes conversations with me interesting.

With that warning in mind... i don't believe I know where Murray county or rock creek or peebles lake is but will go look it up. thanks.

Where did you guys go exactly north of 64? What kind of roads?
  19. SloDon

SloDon Hey...where am I?

Oddometer:
    There are some fun dirt roads (some challenging for a GSA but doable) on either side of TN 30 north of 64.........a couple I showed Mitch last Saturday as he mentions below.

I will PM you.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  20. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: