Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tricepilot, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This photo has a lot of meaning for me

End of the dirt where it meets 40 libre

These are 100% my Mexican hermanos who, by moto and ATV, traversed some wild terrain in the Sierra Madre with me and SR. This photo is framed and in my house.

This was the 4th year of the Ruta ATV Durango - Mazatlán, and some of these guys no doubt had done some of the first 3 years.

It was here I said goodbye to the dirt and hello to the libre run to Maz on the flat portion of the Espinazo del Diablo

It was about to get dark, and I was totally exhausted, and past my limit

I've been on this road a lot on the GSA, but never rode it feeling like if there was a bed on the side of the road, I would get in it and not get out of it until the next day at dinner. I was spent.

SR decided to run the last bit of dirt with Miguel and Alex, but those guys decided to hang back as staff and look after stragglers, so SR did the last dirt part, the riverbed, on his own. Stud that he is.

I am SO GLAD that we split up here, for if I went with SR, he would not have got into Maz until midnight also.

Being the better rider, he got into Maz not too long after dark. But after dark it was.

Back to the photo.

I will cherish this pic in that I really love Mexico, and the Mexican people.

To have been on the trail with them is a memory I will have for a lifetime.

There aren't too many things you will be talking about 30 years from now, for me, this is one of them.

Not sure if SR has any trail pics left, but for me, I'll be posting "on the beach" at Mazatlán", or end-of-the-ride jubilation photos next

I rode the rest of the way into Maz on my own, and found Hotel El Cid from memory.

The feeling I had on that part of the venture I will always feel in my bones but will never be able to put into words.

I never thought I would do this ride

I didn't think I was worthy of it

It became my favorite time in Mexico

Made friends for a lifetime

Learned that never say it's too late to ride dirt

Go your own pace

Rejoice in discovering that your biggest obstacle is your mind

There are amazing things waiting to be discovered around every corner

Respect your mentors

Small pleasures, like a wood fire in a Sierra Madre cabin, are worth millions

Pay attention to how your bike is set up

Be prepared

Go for it, you aren't getting any younger

Surprise yourself.

You can do it.
  2. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Now, on to the beach at Mazatlán

[​IMG]
  3. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Thank you Salma, for covering the cost of the Hotel Gobernador :freaky

[​IMG]
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

L to R

SR

Alex

Miguel

Schizzman

Me
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

To my left, Jim aka "Going South"

Jim gave us a great reception in Maz, picked us up at the El Cid (the end point rally hotel) and took us for drinks to the Hotel Freeman
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Pacific Ocean

Sea of Cortez

Mazatlán

End of the Ruta 40 Matamoros - Mazatlán highway

Finito de Ruta ATV 2013

.....Whatever you wish to call it
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  8. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the time Tricepilot jumped on the pavement, probably 90% of the others had done the same and headed for Cerveza Pacifico in Mazatlan. I went on solo and I hit that one last gnarly stretch described back in post #270. The pack was very thin by then so I was happy to run into my mechanic amigo Mike down in the riverbed on his DRZ, along with some young guys from Culiacan riding MX bikes.

After the riverbed we were out of the mountains and there was about 80 kms to Mazatlan. At this point the route was about half dirt half pavement and except for one more river crossing in the dark, not too hard. Mostly just dirt roads through agricultural land, primarily designed to keep the bikes off the highway.

I got into Mazatlan and came up the Malecon on a busy Saturday night with a bad case of get thereitus, working past the slow moving congested cars on the little agile dirt bike like they were standing still. Right, left, middle, right, sidewalk!

I pulled into the El Cid hotel lobby at about 10:30 PM where Tricepilot, Schizzman and GoingSouth were waiting for me there with a cold Pacifico.:freaky. I was tired but not too tired for the after ride fish feast and a traguito de Mezcal con la Raza.. Excellent day!

[​IMG]
    Sunset in the foothills of Sinaloa.
  9. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I have one with a little better exposure.

[​IMG]
    And the view from the hotel balcony with morning coffee.
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Miguel looks like he's taking a head count.
  11. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Trice, I can't be the first to say that Steve McQueen looks like you, can I?

Second, what's the fascination with Selma...I mean she ain't all that, is she?

:wink:Jajajajajaaaa.....

Thanks for the report. I particularly enjoyed reading of your satisfaction at having tackled some off-road that challenged you, despite your "mature age". I'm a few years younger than you, not much...and, I'm improving...poco a poco...con mucha paciencia. Gracias mil, amigo.
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    jajajaja Gracias Paul

Well, I'm a ripe 56, and determined to go out like Jimi Heselden.

:lol3:freaky:lol3

Oooops! Not politically correct! Sorry!
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Well - first of all, its Salma, not Selma. Selma is a town in Texas right next to my town! Salma is a Mexican woman of Lesbian, er, I mean, Lebanese descent who happens to be the hottest (IMHO) actor from Mexico who is also married to French Bajillionaire (15 Billion, to be close) François-Henri Pinault. That's 7.5 Billion per boob, if you do the math :lol3 He dated supermodel Linda Evangelista before Hayek, but decided to "Go Big or Go Home", so to speak :lol3 Sorry!

But for inquiring, you get the matcing Hayek bikini pic

So tough that she's worth 15 Billion

At today's exchange rate, that's a lot of pesos!

[​IMG]
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    For the whole trip to Mexico, I had been planning a celebratory dinner at La Costa Marinera in Mazatlán

Grilled lobster
    Grilled Shrimp in mojo de ajo

You can keep the other stuff on the plate

[​IMG]

My dinner guests were SR, Schizzman, Miguel, Alex, and Jim (Going South)
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Want to buy a mask after dinner? This guy will sell you one

[​IMG]

Stuffed, like the lobsters!

[​IMG]

A roadmap for the return trip to Durango, painted on a wall near the restaurant. Lot's of ADV trekkers have been to Daniel's in Copala.
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey! What's this next to the El Cid in Mazatlán? An enduro track?

Must explore!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only in Mexico - nobody cares you're out there, no admission fee, no supervision, no waivers to sign. :freaky
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Even a hot air balloon made a landing right there next to the enduro track
  18. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I would call that a motocross track.

I believe that "enduro" is a term referring more to tracks and trails that are more "natural" in their configurations than a motocross track that is a fixed loop groomed by a bulldozer. An enduro race is significantly different from a motocross race.

Think Erzberg when you think enduro....or, in this case, this Durango-Mazatlan route is an enduro ride.

Trice, welcome to the world of enduro....:clap
  19. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither Tricepilot nor I have calloused enough butts to endure 25 hours of bumpy riding, so by the end of the ride we both had cases of Monkey Butt requiring medical attention.

Now picture this, two Gringo dudes waddle into a farmacia in Mazatlan together on a Saturday morning. Tricepilot looks around and nervously goes up to the lady at the counter and asks for some "Crema de Nalgas" Ass Cream. No matter how good ones Spanish is, this will never sound cool and it did not sound right when it came out. So what does Tricepilot do next? He doubles down and tries to make it sound better by saying, Estilo Familiar. Family Style Ass Cream that is!

The lady handed him a tube of Disitin cream plus a jar of Vaseline for the future. :huh

Well, the Vaseline part is not true, but that story kicked off a volley of tasteless adolecent macho jokes about butt cream to last the rest of the weekend! Good fun!:rofl:rofl:rofl
  20. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet photos! I only did two laps around that track and managed to blow out the front fork seal on a 3 month old bike in 5 minutes of riding on this track. My suspension was set way too soft for jumping. Look at how compressed the front end is just going up the jump. My new fork seals arrived today in the mail!:clap