Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Thanks JohnRcbr! I assumed it was Ram but it's in cursive writing (something they don't teach the kids anymore), so the "m" is probably an "n"!
  2. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Quote: headed for Coughlin, ON which was an old train stop on the CN rail line...heard there was an old house still standing there. Searched thru swampy land for a couple of hours before finally giving up and left the area only to spot a roof in the trees near the original road...d'oh! Explored the old house which was nearly falling down, 3 old cars in the bush nearby also!

Coughlin Ghost Town house
    [​IMG]
    Quote:
    Rob, was this house on the right hand side of the road when you were heading into Coughlin from the Trans Canada?
    There are few places along the Kinghorn Sub, to check out. It was originally called the Dorion Sub but renamed.
    There were very few places with road access. One location just east of Geralton has an entire town surveyed out, but nothing was ever built. Maybe the name will come to me.
  3. gepeze

gepeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably thinking of hardrock station
  4. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg - no - it was on the left-hand side as we were heading up the main road off they highway. We had seen the road on the left as we were riding in - but just dismissed it - and rode only a few hundred metres further and parked out bikes near the tracks. On our way out - we decided to give that road we had seen coming in - a try - just in case........ and there it was.

Greg - you aren't thinking of Grant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant,_Ontario

Mike
  5. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was trying to remember. I was also thinking of Langmuir which is 2 miles further east.
    When I walked past there some 25 years ago, I looked for any sign of the town site as it was shown on the railway plan, but not much there but forest.
  6. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Exploring the old house and cars on Saturday

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JJDi9Sp9jMM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that one vehicle was the "moss-top" model. :D Great review once again Rob!

Mike
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
  9. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    They both are Studebakers, but what is interesting to me is there were TWO, both blue, both the same model. I do remember Studebaker from my childhood. My dad at one time had one - with a bullet nose and "three on the tree". Ugly car...
  10. jackiejack

jackiejack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for suggestions on photo... lets try this one..
    http://s172.photobucket.com/user/jhaggart/slideshow/
    Pics of Monday lake ride last week.

So, did my second longest career ride... as I start my second year as a rider. KLR did great through full trek to Upsala, tea to warm up.... outside temp was between 7-9 degrees. Got colder in Ignace... 4 degrees... stopping at TEMPO helped. Second tea and BLT. My daughter joined me for the trip to Silver Dollar via the quite good road , 499 and then west to S.L.O. by 5:30 local time. Again... whole trip didn't seem to get above 10 degrees.
    Returned ride started 7:30 AM. Zero... and Aerostitch winter gloves did great... no heated grips... did have heated vest on at start... but 7 layers upper and 5 layers lower... rarely needed it until Ignace again. Luckily out and back before the dark clouds became what happened today. A great ride. Will join rides with you fellas in future.
    My question: Will a 2010 KLR with now 18,000 K go on with little or moderate maintenance for another 20k?.... I ask as I contemplate why bother with a KTM upgrade soon. Simple technology is I sense making me a better rider.
    Thoughts from others?
  11. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I've built up a little fleet of KLRs and have had a few engines apart for upgrading (big bore kits & do-it-yourself head porting)... I have a '94 that had over 80,000 kms on it, original engine and was still in pretty good shape. The exhaust valve seats were badly worn/pitted, but only because PO had delayed checking valve clearances allowing exhaust valve clearance to tighten up. In my experience, if you don't run 'em for extended periods at too high an RPM (they're not made for that - can lead to oil burning issues), change oil regularly, check the valves every 10,000 to 15,000 kms, do the doohickey upgrade (you can get away with spring only on Gen 2s) and keep the counterbalancer chain tight, a KLR should last a long time. I follow KLR threads pretty closely - there are many reports of high mileage KLRs chugging along just fine (over 100,000 miles).

Edit... from what I can determine, most KLRs die from engine oil being run low (oil burners!) pooching the cam bearing journals, or from counterbalancer chain failure (being run too slack, or doohickey parts getting caught between sprocket teeth and the chain). I've acquired a few parts engines this way!
  12. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    i bought my 2006 KLR in 2010 with 19000 k on it. Since then I have put an additional 25000 k on it, including a trip to Yellowstone, another to the black hills and lots of old bush roads near home. it still runs and starts like the day I bought it.

Besides routine oil changes I have changed chain and sprockets once, done the doo hickey and had the valves checked once (at 35000 k). I run premium fuel or non ethanol regular religiously but that is about it.

I expect to get at least another 30-50,000 k out of this bike.
  13. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Garth, I agree on the premium fuel..... no regular in any of my bikes.
  14. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    KLR is a regular bike, so it needs regular fuel! :lol3
  15. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike! Video will be up in the next couple of days!
  16. Lappeman

Oddometer:

Thanks Ron! They are pretty cool old cars for sure!
  17. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Nice photos! If you put your mouse over the photo in your photobucket file a selection will come up. Choose share link and a box will open, single click the bottom link and it will say copied. Then come to the post box on ADV and press Ctrl V. It will copy the link to the post and when you submit reply, it will show the photo on here! Hope I said that all right!
  18. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    When I sold my KLR with about 50k on it, it was still running like new.

Did the doohickey, checked the valves a couple of times, chain and sprockets, with the only real issue with it ever being a blown rear shock. (If you ever have to rebuild it the kit is cheap)

http://calgarydualsport.tripod.com/klr650shock/procedure.html

I changed out the glass fuses for the blade type when it was almost new.
  19. jackiejack

jackiejack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks. Helpful replies.
    Larry at Excalibur felt doohickey issue was way overstated. Seems almost a trendy think to do at time of purchase... not done mine yet.
  20. jackiejack

jackiejack Adventurer

Oddometer: