about them Bonneville T100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by damasovi, Aug 23, 2011.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Pretty much. Older air (and oil) cooled Porsches had 12 quart sumps!
  2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks guys!! all the info is great.

I see that the tires sizes are common to me since the rear is the same as the KLR and the front is a 19, so if you wanted to put some more dirt oriented tires it could be possible, why? I saw the accessories catalog from Triumph and they sell a skid plate, what? yes a skid plate, so I guess they had poor road in mind with this bike, like the ones we have here in Baja

Damasovi
  3. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    See if you can find a pic or a post by a guy named Orpheus (or PM him for info). He has set up a Bonnie that is way cool for any kind of bad roads and looks great too.
  4. GeoDiablo

GeoDiablo compulsive troublemaker

Oddometer:
    I have an '04 with about the same number of miles. That King/Queen seat isn't the prettiest thing, but my wife sure loves it.

The new Bonnevilles are solid.

PM sent
  5. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the valves checked at 24,000 miles and since then they have needed no adjusting.
    I had the valve cover gasket leak at 33,000 miles. If the gasket AND washers are changed together the problem is solved ($50). I solved the screeching speedometer cable by using a small bungee to adjust the angle of the cable. It screeches for 5 minutes after start up in weather of less than 60 degrees (happily not frequent in Key West).
    Front tires 15,000 miles, rear tire 8,000 miles.
    For the chain I use a Loobman, $50 from Aerostich, a simple plastic bottle with a tube that oils the chain with any oil you choose. I got 42,000 miles out of my first chain and sprockets.
    The oil change at 6,000 miles is simplicity itself. The filter is easily accessible (with no bash plate like the Scrambler has), the drain plug also. Drain all oil, replace filter, add 4 quarts/liters of oil and go ride.
    I think the Bonneville is a supererb all rounder, looks good and has tons of accessories.
    Mine is fugly but functional with Pelican 1430 Panniers ($65 each) bolted to Triumph soft bag rails an Emgo topcase ($100 if bought from a dealer less on Ebay), a Renntec rack from Bella Corsa and a Parabellum sportshield ($290).
    I ride it all the time and want none other.
    Its prettier than a Wee Strom, more comfortable (I do Iron Butt rides on the standard saddle) than a Sportster, and more versatile than a cruiser (it will do light dirt and gravel).
  6. SomethingClever

SomethingClever sick life

Oddometer:
    It's also easy to switch from touring to hooligan mode with the right aftermarket bits :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap
  7. gumpt100

gumpt100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my T100. I've done a few mods along the way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Kaboom !!!

Oddometer:
    Me Likey !!
    Could you list your modifications ?
    Thanks, Mark :nod
  9. gumpt100

gumpt100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok here goes.
    DNA Pods, Mototwin pipes, running 42 pilots 1.5 turns, 155 mains.
    Innovate a/f gauge fitted.
    Talon wheels, Tourance tyres.
    Thruxton mudguards with T120 rear light and numberplate.
    Lucas style indicators.
    Scrambler seat without the rack.
    Ikon fork springs with Thruxton pre-load caps.
    Hyde steering damper.
    Dart Screen.
    Flat tracker bars.
    The picture shows Hagon shrouded rear shocks (Thruxton length), I have since changed them to Ikon's as the Hagons were very stiff.
    Home made gauge brackets and a few bits of bling!
  10. Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Kaboom !!!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting !!
    Mark :1drink
  11. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've put 5,000 miles on my Bonny SE since April... it is a simple machine.

Chose the SE over the T100 as I prefer tubeless tires.

Came with fly screen, center-stand and gel seat. I've added Ikon shocks and am considering Ikon springs and TORS.

I use the K & N oil filter. The nut on the bottom makes is easy to remove the old and install the new. Takes just less than a gallon of oil to put it in the center of the sight glass.

A bit of DuPont chain lub every 500 miles, check the air pressures, and I'm off again.

You will enjoy the simplicity of a Bonny, regardless of which version you select.

NFE
  12. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sold! could you put pics? I would like to see it with the bags on, and yes this bike is tons more pretie that the Vstrom, do you do 2 up? anobody? and how are the lights? these are hard to beat on the Vstrom, 2 ups some will say it need better suspention, but for us (my wife and me) it works just fine. the room is cruiser style confortable, and the headlights are much better by far than the one on the KLR.

Thanks,

Damasovi
  13. jwaller

jwaller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey there Damasovi,

I don't own a bonneville but I have owned a 1998 KLR and now own a 2009 KLR and a Triumph Scrambler. The Scrambler and Bonneville are very similar. So maybe I can help you out. I think, my personal opinion, is that the Bonneville line is like the KLR of standard motorcycles. This is not a slam on the KLR or the Bonneville. Just think of all the things people do with a KLR because it is so versatile. The Bonneville has this same versatility. The basic Bonneville platform has spawned a cafe racer and a vintage dual-sport. Check out the Scrambler thread in the Beasts section and take a look at what people have done. You can do the same with a T-100, or you could find yourself more drawn to the Scrambler, sort of like the bastard offspring of a Bonneville/KLR one night stand.

I can't compare the Bonneville or the Scrambler to the V-Strom, but I can compare it to the KLR. I personally think the stock seat on the '09 KLR is better than the stock seat on the Scrambler, but the Scrambler's seat is better than the stock seat on the pre-'08 KLR. I've ridden the T-100 a couple times and think it is more comfortable than the Scrambler. I'm considering a Bonneville seat for my Scrambler. Now, my wife prefers the Scrambler to either KLR or my Sprint ST. You can buy a King/Queen seat from British-Customs. I don't know any thing about the lights of the V-Strom, but I would say the light on the Scrambler is better than the older KLR's single light. The new KLR's double light beats the Scrambler's single, at least on high-beam. The Scrambler's low beam may be superior. The Scrambler's light is smaller than the Bonneville's light. I've only ridden the Bonneville in daylight so I can't tell you how good it is. You can accessorize a Bonneville for touring as easily as you can a KLR. The Scrambler is a different story until you change the high exhaust for a low one. But then why not buy a Bonneville, right?

With the Triumph, you get a more powerful and smoother ride. With the KLR, with its size, you get a feeling of presence. It's a big bike that feels ever bigger. The Triumph has an overall smaller feel. It's lower to the ground. Although it's heavier than the KLR, its low center of gravity makes it feel lighter. It certainly feels more nimble than the KLR. And while the 2008 updates really transformed the KLR, it still feels rather agricultural. It feels like a 2 wheeled tractor. The Triumph feels more like a "proper" motorcycle. Hell, you could buy the T-100 and put knobbies on it and go anywhere you could with the KLR, without any more effort. I know because I do with the Scrambler. Now, I'd rather drop the KLR, but with the low center of gravity on the Triumph, I think you're less likely to tip over as long as you respect its capabilities and shortcomings off the road. The KLR and the Triumph are both great all around motorcycles that are easy to own. But, as the owner of a KLR and a Bonneville type, I have to honestly say the Triumph is a more fun bike.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 2005 Bonneville black a few years ago, coming off a 1979 Bonneville, and I was not over happy with it.
    It wallowed in high speed turns, seemed heavier then it should have been, and had a very uncomfortable seat, along with a bar and peg layout that did not work well for me.
    Power was fine (tor's, dynojet kit), and I never had any problems with the bike at all.
    At the time, seat options were very limited, with the stock seat having about 1/8 inch of padding.

It WAS worlds better of a bike then the 2009 sportster I had last year!
    A far cry from the old bikes though, which were light and nimble and stable in turns at every speed.

I expected more from a modern bike, like more power and lighter weight, but for a modern larger motor it seemed a bit weak, and where did all that weight come from?
  15. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank you very much...

if i buy this t-100 i will not take off payment much less off road, it would get dirty !!! and no the klr will not go for sale.

how do u like the brakes? and does it shake like, m ore or less than the klr?

thanks !!
    Damasovi
  16. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    You'll probably think it has an electric engine after the KLR :evil
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :nod

damasovi - I have both a KLR and Bonneville - the Bonnie is amazingly smooth for any bike, much less a parallel twin...
  18. DJGypsy

DJGypsy Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer:
    brakes on my standard bonnie are more than up to the task. i have no reason to doubt them. pounding through twisties in ocala national forest, they never show signs of fade.
  19. jwaller

jwaller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with the other posters. The Bonneville will be much smoother than the KLR and the brakes will be better. I'm not dogging the KLR, but the Bonneville is so much more refined. Like I said, it feels more like a "proper" motorcycle. Good thing to keep the KLR for when you want to get dirty:D
  20. latigid

latigid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride 2-up quite a bit on my bonnie. Its an 04 bonnie black that has low bars and rearsets on it.

It works great for the wife and I. the engine isn't overly powerful and the suspension is a bit soft(very soft up front), but even in stock form it stands up to 2-up riding pretty admirably.

My wife and I are maybe 310-320lbs together with gear so we're not heavyweights, so none of the fun is lost when we ride 2-up.

I got a rear rack on her that has a small grab handle. I can throw a hard top case on there, some soft saddlebags and my little wannabe cafe racer is ready for a nice long weekend tour in 15 minutes time.