Well I finally bought the 990R, now what???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ironworks, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ironworks

ironworks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I did it, I bought a New 2010 990R yesterday. My first street legal motorcycle.

I'm looking at Some crash bars, skid plate and kick stand relocation.

Are there brands that are better then other for those parts. I was looking at the KTM crash bars in orange, The Black Dogg cycle kickstand and maybe their skid plate. Just want to make sure they are quality parts and I don't find out after the fact they are junk.

I'm also looking at the euro headlight and a taller windscreen. Suggestions wanted.

Anything else that would be good to buy now.

Thanks guys
  2. Zander

Zander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    16 teeth front sprocket and a good set of knobbies. :evil
  3. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It comes with a 16t sprocket. Black dog equipment is excellent, Ride more read forums less:lol3
  4. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Best made & supported : BLACK DOG side stand relocator & skid plate

Best choice crash bars : SW moto tech----Save yourself time & do the Qwik / Geek stud install from the git go

Welcome to the true dark side LET THE FARKLING BEGIN
  5. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    ride it!!
  6. ride-for-life

ride-for-life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    welcome, the blackdog side stand relocator seem to work well i put mine throw hell, but any thing that gets the side stand off the case is better then not having one. sw-motech carsh bars have a straight bar at the bottom triangle, probably the way to go I like mine. There will be a lot of different opinions here so take the info and decide for your self, take that thing out and ride it like it owes you money, that's what I do. :D
  7. ironworks

ironworks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys I hate finding out the hard way something is junk and for a few more dollars i could have bought the better product not the better ad campaign. I put almost 100 miles on it this weekend and even got a few scratches.
  8. ykrweb

ykrweb 1% Spawn

Oddometer:
    There are more mods, but these had the biggest impact to my riding experience in retrospect:

Blackdog Sidestand relocator = Cheap Insurance. I don't worry about cracking a case now.
    http://www.blackdogcw.com/mm5/merch...BDCW_LC8_SSMount&Category_Code=KTM_Protection
    45t sprocket = Lower ratio for lane splitting and technical dirt
    http://www.blackdogcw.com/mm5/merch..._Code=SSprox_RST899-45&Category_Code=KTM_Perf
    Renthal 796 KTM Bend Handlebars = relieved wrist pressure and hand cramping. Stock bars are swept back too far.
    http://www.ktm-parts.com/54802001200.html
    CJ Rear Rack + 1550 Pelican Top Case = Bulletproof storage
    http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/LC8parts.html
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-155...165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc90235d
    FMF pipes = Lighter (-10lbs), cooler, forest approved and made the bike rev more freely off the bottom.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FMF-Q4-Slip-Exhaust-Pipe-KTM-950-990-Adventure-2004-2010-/300610514141?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4773770758409263794
    Roc Stompa Footpegs = Bigger more stable platform for standing.
    http://rocstompa.com/. These guys are in Australia. Do not use Adventures Workshop as a US distributor. Bad service. I eventually got my pegs but it took 6 weeks and there was no communication.
    Aeroflow/Madstad Adjustable WIndscreen = Sport touring bike.The best wind protection available IMHO.
    http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/KTM990950.htm
    http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1971/.f My bars hit the Aero wings at full turns but it doesn't bother me. Just so you know
    Seat Concepts - Customized the foam at home to my biology.
    http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecwid:category=1671352&mode=product&product=7082006. This seat was too tall so I cut it down alot. If your not comfortable modifying a seat you may want to take another route.
    Scotts Damper+ BRP Triple Clamp= Added needed high speed (+75mph) stability on the highway while running knobbies.
    http://www.blackdogcw.com/mm5/merch...P_SUB_SCOTTS_LC8_ADV&Category_Code=BRP_Damper
    Not cheap and it took several months to accomplish but well worth it. Have fun.
  9. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    Weld 86 skid plate and side stand re locator
    Sw crash bars and stud kit
    Rear ktm luggage set-for crash protection.
    New exhaust- I went with HMF- awesome.

Until you get the side stand done take the stand off and RIDE THE PISS OUT Of IT!!!!!!!
  10. FlameDance

FlameDance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of the above. A riser for the handlebar, if you're tall.

Don't change everything at once. Change bit by bit and observe the impact on your riding.
    Note that the standard factory setup is already excellent. Most changes are just ergonomical adaptations to you - meaning, everyone has different wishes, preferences and needs.

Oh, and the popular Akra ... rather put that money into bike ergonomics and offroad protection gear. More bang for the buck.
  11. ThunderStrom

ThunderStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I like your choice of ride and your short add-on list. It's a good starting point.

I went with all three that you mentioned. My reviews are the following:

Blackdog rocks. Their service and the products are awesome. I can't compare to all the other stuff out there, but for my money, I'd do it all again with this company. Both the pan and the sidestand relo were great, easy install instructions and I bang down a rocky path worry free. Do these asap if you're off road.

KTM stuff is good.

The tall windshield fit and finish has much to be desired. The plastic on the stock shield that connects the bottom below the light is MIA on the taller model which allows those pieces to stick out. It looks like an aftermarket piece of poop, even though it's etched with the KTM logo. Frankly, I expected more. Also, it was on backorder for almost 2 months.

The crash bars are okay too. I've dropped it a few times and they haven't distorted. I'm sure if I went down hard, they'd collapse like a beer can because they lack that critical cross member that the SW has (found this out after the fact.). The orange is debatable but ties the bike together and looks good in my opinion.

The KTM tank bag is a cheap addition that works well. It holds a ton of stuff and comes off/on easily.

Follow the tire threads and make your pick. I went with the TKCs. I got tired of pushing and pulling on the scorpions in the mud!

Enjoy it! You made a wise purchase!

[​IMG]
  12. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What?
  13. FlameDance

FlameDance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tires! I forgot: The most important money drain is a second set of wheels. Use the standard set for street tires, use the second set for knobblies. Avoid bad compromises like theTKCs.which perform badly in both Dual Sport disciplines. Switching wheels is a matter of 20 minutes even if you're slow - changing tires according to what you want to do today is so much of a hassle that you won't do it.

This is really the most important and most expensive part. Nobody thinks about it in the beginning but the more you learn the abilities of the bike, the more you'll want them.
  14. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM's crashbars ended up distorted and rubbing up against the tank. I replaced them last summer with a set of Hepco Beckers.

The tall windshield is nice on the highway but I had it bust me in the face one day on an abrupt drop-off - not pleasant. It was replaced with the Rally Raid faring (I didn't have the stock screen).
  15. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most important thing you can learn from this thread is to ignore all the conflicting, sometimes obsolete and just plain wrong info that gets passed around here disguised as advice and go ride more instead. Ok maybe read the H.O.W. There may be plenty of good stuff here in the Orange crush, but do your own research and the search tool will reveal a lot of good info since most things related to this bike have come up many times before. If you can't find what you need, ask and someone will help you out. And one more thing, ride more.
  16. redeye-az

redeye-az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i noticed a common thread in your reply.........
    .....ride more.....
    it's what clears your mind and allows you to sift through all this bullshit you read online..:evil

then ya'll can make a proper decision based on the seat of your pants....:p3rry ....:ksteve
  17. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Well, read up on HighwayDirtbikes.com and their hand guards. :lol3

Hands down, the best guards out there. I have em on all my bikes. Only guards that can handle a cartwheel.:lol3
  18. ironworks

ironworks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty deep into the automotive world. I build some really nice cars for customers. My shop can build anything. But I wanted something fun I can buy and just get on an ride. If I bought a harley I would have to cut the hell out of it to make it cool. These bikes are cool off the show room floor and with some bolt ones can be even cooler. But just like my field of work, just because somebody sells something doe snot mean it works. I have been through that a 1000 times with aftermarket car parts. That is why I have asked about different parts and what is quality and what is not. I hate buying expensive junk.

Here are a few pics of some cars and trucks we have built just so you guys don't think I'm full of crap.
    A 57 chevy truck we built a few years ago with the C6 corvette chassis to fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A 48 Chevy truck that has been cut 7 ways from Sunday and built to the highest quality.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 2 projects are the reason why I wanted to buy something fun to ride that I can just bolt parts onto. My kinda projects take forever.

Thanks for the Input.
  19. RLCanon

RLCanon Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer:
    Ahem... LC8 Street Tracker. Ahem...

Just planting the seed...

Oh yeah, something about the color scheme on the 'vette truck is very familiaR!
  20. redeye-az

redeye-az Been here awhile

Oddometer:

ya...LC8 street tracker....:ricky

i likeum...had this one in the late 60's......

Attached Files: