Suggestions for DRZ400S extra capacity fuel tank.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Black06LJ, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Rollin

Rollin Go.

Oddometer:
    Yokomo- sent you a PM.
  2. Lowrider49

Lowrider49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JT *(if you are still around)

I have a 2005 E that I bought a new Acerbis 4.2 gal tank for and never installed and I am moving all the off road stuff from it to a 2007 SM that is plated. MD is an awful place to get an "off road" vehicle plated.

ANyway, have you had any issues with your S without the fan? It never runs on the SM so I'm thinking that the Aceribis 4.2 I have for the E should go on the SM with the mods you mentioned. I want an air horn on the SM anyway....really gets their attention when I use the one I have on my ST 1300.

Thanks,

Joe
  3. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How bout some info on the cockpit of that bike?:ear
  4. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I just crushed a radiator and want a larger tank that will help protect them. This 4 gallon IMS looks good. Are there fitment issues with it?

Do the Clarkes protect the rads very well?

Just trying to decide.... And who has the best prices on them?

thanks,
  5. Hombrealagua

Hombrealagua n00b

Oddometer:
    All you guys out there who have the 400s and installed the Clarke tank, would you please tell me if there's any fitting or adjustment that needs to be made to install this tank on the bike?
  6. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    May have issues with some aftermarket seats getting all the slots to work. With stock seat, the seat pan is flexible enough that you can bend things to fit.

May have issues with choke button fouling tank in full choke position. Generally solvable by grinding off a portion of the choke knob.

Fuel line typically requires some trimming.

Safety wire catch on front of tank is a bit tricky to fit - most leave it off.

That's all I've heard about.

- Mark
  7. tom28734

tom28734 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've spent some time this winter preparing a DRZ400S for offroad riding in the Rocky Mountains this summer. I've done quite a few things to the intake, carb, suspension, and controls with ZERO trouble. Every item had excellent instructions and went into place smoothly and worked as expected.
    The Clarke tank was the first disappointment. The opening for the petcock had to be worked extensively to even insert the fuel pickup. The threaded holes for the petcock bolts were too close together. The tank had to be forced forward just to get the fasteners in place. Finally, it raises the front of the seat so much the cover hangs loosely in the middle, and the seat bolts are very difficult to line up.
    I'll roll it out as soon as the snow melts and check for leaks. Until then I'll have my fingers crossed that this thing isn't any more trouble.
    Yes, I need the added capacity, but if I could do it over I'd try another brand, NOT Clarke.
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some extra bending of the seat and fiddling with the mounting is more/less par for the course with any aftermarket fuel tank (which tends to go away with time as the seat acquires a new "set"), but this is the first I've heard of any difficulties with the petcock bolt spacing being incorrect. If you're sure the issue is with the tank (is the petcock stock?), I'd return the tank as this is definitely not normal.

- Mark
  9. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Clarke 3.9.

Had the same issue as the poster above regarding the hole for the fuel pickup not being large enough. Just had to tweak it a little, then it went in.

Other than that, no issues.

I fit some Unibiker rad guards under there and everything mounted with very little fidgeting.
  10. Hail_TX

Hail_TX Middle Aged Crazy

Oddometer:
    I just installed my Clarke 3.9 gallon tank. I experienced some of the same issues as others. Below are the problems I found and the solutions I implemented.

1.) The rear tank bolts do not line up.
    Bend the wire harness restraints near the steering column that are in front of the tank forward. Be gentle as they are not incredible sturdy.
    2.) Petcock pickup did not fit in hole.
    Like others I expanded the hole slightly using an exacto knife. I then smoothed the edges with sand paper. one minute job. Per instructions I then blew out the tank with compressed air and also rinsed it out with fuel to get all the remaining shavings out.
    3.) Seat is very hard to get in to place where the seat bolts at the rear can fasten.
    I cut about 1/4" off the tounge that is fastened to the tank. I found that it was so long that it was hitting plastic in the back of the receiver on the seat and was unable to slide as far up as needed.
    The only problem I have is that the body panels on the front of my bike are no where near symmetrical now. The right hand one sticks out 2" farther than the left and it looks strange. I have no idea why this is happening.

P.S. As you can see in the photo I got the Tusk aluminum gas cap since I did read about the OEM Clarke one being garbage.

Attached Files:

madrider5150 likes this.
  11. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hail_TX, I was thinking about putting the Clarke on my DRZ s and I was curious if you figured out what was going on with the right side hanging out like that. Are you happy with it now after it's been installed for a little bit? Did you stick with stock petcock?

BTW, off topic but I'll be out your way Sept 12th-14th in SHNF if you want to ride. :wink:

12. Hail_TX

Hail_TX Middle Aged Crazy

Oddometer:
    Just saw this. I sent my tank back in to Clarke because of the right panel sitting out so far. They are confident it was just a defect. I should have the replacement back any day. I have not heard from anyone else having that same issue with the panels so I hope Clarke is right that it was just a defect.

I saw your post on TWT. Wish I could have made it but it is a family time weekend. :)
  13. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Does Clarke make a 3.2 as well or just a 3.9?
  14. jgreene0717

jgreene0717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Believe the 3.2 is for the drz-e model. Will work but the e tank mounts different in front, and may not clear fan. Have the ims 3.6 on mine. IMG_1233.JPG
    jfman likes this.
  15. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the looks this is a Clarke 3.9 gallon tank correct?

When I look at photos of the 3.2 gallon tank, it doesnt look as tall as this one above the edge of the seat.

[​IMG]
  16. jgreene0717

jgreene0717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like 3.9 to me also. Reminds me of a volcano.
  17. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok perfect because I bought it not being 100% sure what it was.
    jgreene0717 likes this.
  18. King Gidorah

King Gidorah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2.jpg
    Here's a pic of the Acerbis 4.2 gal tank on my E. I've got Devol rad guards, but I don't know if a set of unibiker rad guards would fit. It's pretty tight under there.
    jgreene0717 likes this.