1 Triumph, 1 Brit. 20,000 Miles, The Long Way Home

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Paulemery, Jul 11, 2012.

1. blkhrt81

blkhrt81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An impact driver might help, still might have to heat and peen but they will loosen some pretty stuck bolts.
  2. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My fuel range is limited on the Scram and I want to fit two x 2 gallon Rotapax onto the bike.

I'd love to get your ideas on the best place to mount them, I have the Metal Mule Panniers and Rear Rack but not the top box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance boys and girls

:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    - As mentioned above, welding a piece to the head of the bolt will almost certainly get it out.

- The other recommendation of peening the head back into place to grip the Allen wrench can also work in some instances. Unfortunately the comment about these being set with some form of Loctite is probably also correct which means they are definitely going to need heat. And that brings up another problem - enough heat to loosen bolt, but not so much that you cause damage to the bearings. I would suggest you either remove the bearings or be very, very cautious when applying any heat.

- Another option would be drilling a hole down the center of the bolt and then using an "easy out". Though my experience has been this is rarely easy and sometime it still won't come out. If you do go down this path drilling the hole large enough and deep enough to get enough grip is critical. But missing on the size or location will ruin the threads in the hub and you can be worse off than when you started.

- If you have a Dremel with a thin fiber cutting wheel and a steady hand you may also be able cut a slot in the top of the head large enough to get a decent sized screw driver in there. Again, simple enough to describe, a lot tougher to do.

I guess you have to assess your ability and make a call. As for the other ones that aren't stripped yet, I would suggest you invest in an inexpensive impact driver and a high-quality set of bits. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.
  4. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Drive in an inhex socket with a hammer and use a T bar or similar to undo.

Oh and mine (current model) has Torx heads...maybe the allen heads were soft :lol3
  5. LadyCruiser

LadyCruiser Everything Starts With a Dream

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!! :clap
    Good luck Paul!!!

What brand is your windshield?
  6. hwy61

hwy61 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

You can most likely find this hand impact driver(whack with a hammer) and bit locally I'm sure...I'd file the end of the hex to get a deep seat and give it a go...add them right to your tool kit...Good luck with it all...:D
  7. Wal2

Wal2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a bit brutal, but i'd try a small (bluntish) chisel ( 6mm tip )or punch, make sure it has a good start, 45degs, and a couple of sharp blows may free it, ive managed to loosen a rounded caliper bolt this way at the roadside before and many old style Japanese casing screws........obviously you dont want to be pounding away here, but a couple of blows may do it
  8. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the less intensive options, first I will whack it then i'll look at heating, welding, plutonium etc

Thanks fella and everyone for your help

:p3rry:p3rry:p3rry:p3rry

9. Tomintoul

Tomintoul Hoopy frood

Oddometer:
    Done this before on the Scram - first time I used Wal's method (small chisel and a persuader), second time I'd got a Dremel, so I cut a line in the top of the bolt and then went to town with the impact driver.
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Since you're still in the trip planning stages and have no ride report to post, your thread has been moved to the Trip Planning forum. Once the trip is underway, start a new thread in Ride Reports and dazzle us! Good luck with your great adventure :thumb
  11. LXIV-Dragon

LXIV-Dragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the set up I had on my trip with the Rotopax.

[​IMG]

There are two in there - one for water on the rear rack and one for petrol at the LHS. These thing are bullet proof so have no fear about mounting them anywhere. I guess you will end up having them on the side of you paniers?

One note of caution - the filler spout is a PITA. They sell an optional one which is hopefully better. Test it and you will see what I mean.

Best of luck!

(And post up the new thread link to the RR once you start it).
  12. LXIV-Dragon

Oddometer:
    BTW I have linked your thread to Triumph USA and Orlando RATs on Facebook :deal

You never know who will follow and may be able to offer help down the line :D
  13. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

What kind of bike ya got hidden under there?
  14. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dig your set up regarding the soft racks and the locations of the fuel.

I was reading you're post and a had serious blonde moment, I was like Pain.. In... OHHHH. Another Americanism I can take back to the empire.

Thanks ever-so much on the hook up on the facebook pages, much appreciated

15. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey the screen I have on my scram is the Dart Fly-screen, it works perfectly with ruining the looks of the bike too much, I would have replied sooner but I couldn't remember the name of my screen for the life of me so I sifted through my receipts and found the name that way

16. LXIV-Dragon

Oddometer:
    DR650 - great for the job!
  17. LXIV-Dragon

Oddometer:
    Next big trip (CDT?) I would have a hard topbox but that is about all I would change :deal
  18. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats the CDT?

19. Wirewiz

Wirewiz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your ride report.
    Hit me up if you get into Olympia Washington. I have a shop with tools and your welcome to make any adjustments you may need. I am about 80 or so miles from the ferry that will get you to Vancouver and close to the Olympic Mountains. ..30 miles to the local triumph dealer. Tent space for sure, if I keep ambitious guest room in the shop but no promises yet.
    Let me know.
  20. LXIV-Dragon

Oddometer:
    Continental Divide Trail
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Divide_Trail

There is an dual sport bike version and many RRs here in ADV, sorter and easier that the TAT. Currently toying with the idea of selling the DR and buying a Triumph XC800. Recently sold my Speed Triple and need something shinny in the garage to replace her :evil