Arrgh, parking lot/sidestand drop - Now need orange paint!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by viverrid, Aug 7, 2012.

1. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I guess there has to be a first time...

Stopped at the country store a mile and a half from my house. Pulled into a paved parking space, put down the sidestand, and thought that the bike wasn't secure on the stand due to a small diagonal cross slope. So I horsed the bike back and forth to turn it at a 45 degree angle in the space. Perfect, now pointed directly up the slight slope. Dismounted and stepped away.

BOOM! Bike is on its side. Ummm... the sidestand was up. Must have done it will rolling the bike back & forth, didn't realize, didn't remember, whatever.

So is there a Krylon orange that would be a decent match to cover up the scuff that's now on the elbow of the crash bar?

Oh yeah, and when I went inside the store, the guy says "Is that new? Did you ever have one of those before?"
  2. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd not even worry about it, that's just going to be the first of many IMHO if you ride the bike the way it's suppose.
  3. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Vince- wear it as a badge of honor. Conjure up some incredible tale of escape, the rescue of a fine, distressed damsel and merely that little scratch to show for it.

You're welcome.:D
  4. el' hefe

el' hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Badge of honor. I have lot's of them on mine, and wear them with pride. Do you want pretty, or do you want tough? 950/990's are just plain tough. :deal
  5. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Yeah dude if I tried to repaint every little mark of personality my bike has I'd have to invest in stock at Sherwin Williams.
  6. Pete156

Pete156 I love to eat!

Oddometer:
    My 950 looks like it's been thru a hurricane, or two, and maybe a tsunami. Still draws a crowd. People pointing................"what happened here?" Then I show them the gouges in the left tank from a deers teeth.

These bikes are tough.
  7. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Don't sweat it man, that ain't no beemer you're riding. :ricky
  8. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    The funny thing is, the day before I rode some rock sections. Even got hung up in one of them at had to restart. Didn't drop it then, but instead drop it on pavement 1.5 miles from my house!!!!
  9. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Does that mean I can't ride it to Starbucks?
  10. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

N00B!!!

J/K :lol3
  11. ttfrank

ttfrank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's their purpose (crash bars).... They are ment to have scratches... I have a lot of them in the bars of my 2011 dakar. they don't bother me at all.

BUt if you find that orange paint (cheap) let me know:evil
  12. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    The PO of my 990 told me it was the same as kubuta Orange...
  13. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Have to try Tractor Supply then!

Now if'n it was a BMW, I would be having paint flown in from Bavaria and a dealer appointment to have it fixed. I thought I was okay doing it with a rattle can of "close enough" just not to have bare metal. I may still have a partial can somewhere of flourescent orange used for flagging & pavement marking....

P.S. - Was up in Stephentown, NY today to see someone who lives there. On the way back, the end of Potter Mountain Rd. that's closer to Stephentown is pretty seriously barricaded but can be gotten around by going over a sharp berm and then down into a drainage ditch. Don't ask me how I know this, or about the tree that is down across the road.....
  14. Lobster

Lobster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to CJ Racers Tech / Riding Weekend and your bike will take lots of naps...

...mine must have been very sleepy...

The agony will pass!
  15. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you ride thru a mud puddle on the way.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    my 990 had more scratches than flee riden dog....didn't slow it down any as I recall :evil
  17. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the cosmetics is one, but bare metal tend to rust also. I try to avoid that; rust is structural degradation :)

Don't they have industrial paint shops where you live? Have them sample the color and mix you a small can of alkyd-urethane paint in the correct color. Alkyd-urethane paint ('appliance paint') is about the toughest stuff you can get as single component paint.
  18. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    This sir..................is Classic!
  19. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I was thinking more along the lines of a rattle can from the hardware store.
  20. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even then you might want to use one of those color sampling things, the many colored pieces of paper with all those color codes bundled. So you can hold all the various shades of orange next to the bars, pick the closest matching one, and say to the guy behind the counter: 'I want a can of paint with code RAL2010'. Don't know how such a 'book' with colored pieces of paper is called in English. Here in The Netherlands they also have those things in the hardware store.

I prefer a small can of paint and a small brush over a spray can for repair work, BTW. Much easier to apply locally without paint getting everywhere where it is not supposed to go, and the paint is usually more scratch-resistant than spray can paint.

If you are going to repaint the entire thing spray paint makes more sense and the exact color is not that important either. In that case I would search for RAL2010 (signal orange) in a spray can.